Torquay United v Weston-super-mare 2/3/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

Yes a very disappointing result and performance and a chance to extend our lead on top but I can’t stand the over reaction of fans in the stands and on here. One poor performance or a couple of poor halves does not turn us from champions elect to relegation material.

Surely the teams performance up until now earns them the right to have a poor spell. All teams have them even Man City and Liverpool.
To hear people in the crowd shouting ‘your rubbish’ at players for a poor game is laughable, these are the same players that have got us in the position and the same players in my poionion who will win us the league.

Yes the referee was poor, Weston battled for their lives, threw everything at the ball in defence and played the conditions. But we created allot of chances and like another member said on another day it could have been 4-2.

A young, inexperienced side showed today, they are still learning and there is plenty of games to go.

So please everyone get serious and get it right. It seems like the forum goes quite when we are winning but comes alive after defeat.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

With regard to the ref being poor, I’d put it like this. Weston strangled the game in the first half and for part of the second, the ref gave them the rope to do this from the time that they scored. In fact he supplied lots of rope, again and again. I have rarely seen a keeper so deliberately and so blatantly timewasting for the vast majority of a game, without a second glance from the piss poor ref.I have rarely seen so many players take the piss out of a ref, again and again. The ref was too weak and pathetic to handle any problems, unfit to ref at any serious level.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The only problem I had with the referee yesterday was, he was weak, and easily conned, some of the free kicks he was giving just were not fouls, and personally whilst I'll take it all day long, our penalty was a joke to be fair, maybe to video will prove me wrong, but me, and most of the fans stood around me were laughing at the decision.

Time wasting is a hypocritical subject, it's only ever problem with football fans when it's not your own team doing it, us TUFC fans clap and we cheer when we're leading in a tight game and time waste, if the ref had booked their keeper, would the keeper have stopped it, doubt it, would he have got a second yellow for time wasting, not a chance, what angered me was the lack of time added on, should have been 5 minutes in the first half, and 10 in the second, that would help to combat it. Introducing red cards for time wasting wouldn't work, all players would do is more and more feign injury.

The referee didn't cost us this game. this isn't criticism of GJ who's done wonders for the club in such a short space of time, completely lifted the players and fan base, but he said we have learn to game manage and let our football do the talking, he's spot on of course, but these were all the things our team didn't do in the first half, mentality. decision making, very poor, slow, second to everything, our players need to learn the lesson fast, you have to earn the right even more so at this level, no one will bow down and let you play, at this level teams will not simply give you respect because your top of the league, the NLS is full of scrappers who will fight you all the way, we've got to learn not to get frustrated and push back.

Second half much, much better, not sure why it needed probably another half time rocket for the players to actually get the ball down, and impose our game on Weston, they've created enough chances to have put this game to bed long before the sucker punch goal, maybe a bit of tension is creeping into to our play who knows, look at the rest of the top teams not a win between us.

Seen Weston home and away, to be fair they've played very well against us in both games and fully deserved their 4 points. In conclusion the damage for us was self inflicted and done in the first half, put this bed move on quick, hopefully the weather wont put pay to Tuesday nights game, the forecast for the next 12 hours is horrendous.
Formerly known as forevertufc
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Forever, I never said he cost us the game. We cost us the game. The ref cost the fans entertainment time. He should have taken a grip, early, but failed completely. I hope I never see him again.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I wasn’t at the game yesterday but was at the last three. I sounds as if like at Welling and the first half at East Thurrock, we played too many high long balls. Against Dulwich Hamlet and in the second half at East Thurrock we kept the ball on the ground far more and used our superior skill at running with the ball and passing to good effect. I don’t understand why the players keep playing these long aerial balls either down the middle or to wide runners, but losing possession almost every time. Is it them or is the manager telling them too?
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

You have to admit this has been coming for a while, recently we've been getting away with it because our ability to score plenty of goals,
Time to sit down & take stock, go back to what were good at, blowing teams away with fast expansive football, we've got the players to get the job done, they just have to reignite the belief GJ instilled into them before this blip in form.
Also they're a young bunch who for whatever reason have never been in this position football wise, before time for GJ & co to exert their expert knowledge & experience .
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

gullintwoplaces wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 08:07 With regard to the ref being poor, I’d put it like this. Weston strangled the game in the first half and for part of the second, the ref gave them the rope to do this from the time that they scored. In fact he supplied lots of rope, again and again. I have rarely seen a keeper so deliberately and so blatantly timewasting for the vast majority of a game, without a second glance from the piss poor ref.I have rarely seen so many players take the piss out of a ref, again and again. The ref was too weak and pathetic to handle any problems, unfit to ref at any serious level.
Absolutely this. Weston realised very early on that they could pretty much do whatever the hell they liked and the ref would do nothing about it. The timewasting was easily the worst I've ever seen from a keeper at Plainmoor and the other Weston players were nearly as bad. Strangely, the converse was true for the Torquay players, whose every move seemed to result in a Weston free kick. The Weston players (and in particular their number 9) were continually grabbing, holding, elbowing, you name it. Jesus, the number 9 was just walking up to players - completely off the ball - and elbowing them hard. It was like the bad old days of Vinne Jones just clocking some poor player when the ref wasn't looking. The bench was screaming and gesturing at the ref to sort out the number 9 - as were the Torquay players - and he did nothing. I've no idea what was going on with the ref. On the one hand, he appeared to be appallingly incompetent. On the other hand, you'd have to try really hard to officiate in such a one-sided manner. I'm convinced that the only reason we were awarded a penalty was because it was so blatant and happened right in front of him (and me). He was a disgrace and should never step foot on a pitch again. And while its easy to smile wryly at Weston and say "they threw everything they had at the game", the fact is that they were blatant cheats. Gamesmanship is one thing, but what they did went far beyond that. I've never been so angry leaving a match as I was yesterday.

EDIT: just to add. I'm in so way suggesting that we played well yesterday. We didn't, although I do wonder how much of that was a result of the team's increasing desperation at seemingly not being able to do anything without the ref awarding a free kick, coupled with Weston getting away with murder.
TUST member 203
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Another thing that really rankled me yesterday is we're now 30 odd games into the season & it's blindingly obvious the refereeing standards at this level is at best shocking at worst inept, but we still haven't learned how to cope with the '12th man' , all the whingeing & moaning & cheating by the opposition can & should be counteracted by sticking to what were good at, we seem so easily put off our stride just now.
As a full time professional outfit we should be better than this irrespective of all of the on pitch shenanigans going on around us.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Teigngull wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 09:39 Another thing that really rankled me yesterday is we're now 30 odd games into the season & it's blindingly obvious the refereeing standards at this level is at best shocking at worst inept, but we still haven't learned how to cope with the '12th man' , all the whingeing & moaning & cheating by the opposition can & should be counteracted by sticking to what were good at, we seem so easily put off our stride just now.
As a full time professional outfit we should be better than this irrespective of all of the on pitch shenanigans going on around us.
I take your point, but WTF do they do when the ref appears to be so one-sided? Not being a smartarse, but I'm genuinely not sure what the hell they could have done where they didn't seem to be able to do anything without the ref awarding a free kick to Weston, coupled with Weston getting away with murder. I would totally agree with you if we were dealing with a normal, inept ref: you adapt. But the ref was just bizarre. At one point, one of our boys was taken clean off his feet by a sliding tackle and the ref awarded a free kick to Weston!

If there was one thing that did rankle me yesterday, it was that our players were hoofing the ball when it was blowing a gale. They continued to do this throughout the match.
TUST member 203
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Time wasting in Football HAS to be dealt with. It is on a par (excuse the pun) with slow play in Golf.

I suggest Referees visit each dressing room before the game and state all deliberate time wasting will be penalised by double time!!

In other words if there is 5 minutes added for time wasting it will become 10 minutes. That will stop it. Am I mad?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Sounding like another horror show from the incompetent **** in black.

Its all very well congratulating Weston on winning but as another poster commented they seemed to be blatant cheats and shouldn't have been allowed to get away with it. Unfortunately they got the early goal which was key and for once we couldn't pull it back early enough.

Timewasting like that is virtually impossible to counteract if the opposition are allowed to get away with it.

its possible that it might be a mental thing. Got a late winner on Tuesday - won the two day games earlier this week and took our eye of the ball seemingly having done the hard part.

I don't actually like Weston Super Mare much - horrible little club whose players did a fair bit to incite further trouble at their place earlier in the season. No doubt they will be disappearing arse end out of the league where they belong.

Ones thing for certain if we don't win the league we are at the mercy of a maverick ref desperate to get his name in the papers for consigning the ex league club to another season in this hell hole. Its a frightening prospect really.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Kingsgull83 wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 05:53 Yes a very disappointing result and performance and a chance to extend our lead on top but I can’t stand the over reaction of fans in the stands and on here. One poor performance or a couple of poor halves does not turn us from champions elect to relegation material.

Surely the teams performance up until now earns them the right to have a poor spell. All teams have them even Man City and Liverpool.
To hear people in the crowd shouting ‘your rubbish’ at players for a poor game is laughable, these are the same players that have got us in the position and the same players in my poionion who will win us the league.

Yes the referee was poor, Weston battled for their lives, threw everything at the ball in defence and played the conditions. But we created allot of chances and like another member said on another day it could have been 4-2.

A young, inexperienced side showed today, they are still learning and there is plenty of games to go.

So please everyone get serious and get it right. It seems like the forum goes quite when we are winning but comes alive after defeat.
I agree :goodpost: I think a lot of supporters have not seen Torquay at the top of a table.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Pressure and performing under pressure is key at this time of the season. We have a young team, that is learning under the utmost pressure while trying to win the league. Our game management has been poor, this needs to improve, as does playing the referee and getting our point over to him. Yes I believe we have under preformed over the last few matches and it may cost us.
Welling - Quite simply we were second best.
East Thurrock - We got away with it, but were poor.
Weston - Yes the referee was poor, but lets be honest we were not great.
Over this period I have looked at the subs bench to turn things around, to me it looks weak. Be honest, who if any would make your starting line up - I bet you can't name two!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Weston sure wasted time but probably not was much as Welling and Billericay who had it off to an art form. Let's stop using this and idiot refereeing as an excuse for everything. Currently we have been rumbled by teams in this league and excuses won't get us the championship. We are being played mental games by team after team. Our players need to think it through as well as play it through. We have massive enthusiasm as a team but we right now we need experience and leadership. If that's not in the squad we have to get it in.
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Yesterday's referee's email address: [email protected]
He is a psychology lecturer. Sure he is used to dishing out feedback to students or encouraging debate. Bet he won't want to debate his display yesterday though. His PhD thesis was on diabetes and cognitive function. Think something was wrong with his cognitive function going on his performance!