Netflix

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 06:39

Here is the preview of the series
It looks well made. It will be a good watch.
Unfortunate title which I am sure we will get some stick for but nothing we haven’t heard before.
Hopefully the final programme will come out well and give us some good publicity
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

It's now on. Really good I enjoyed it
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Bxm Foxy »

I really don't think I can be bothered watching it. The name of the programme has really put me off.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Was not keen myself on the name but I don't think they portrayed the manager or players as losers but just more the sorry state the club had gotten into over them few years . Thought it was nice ending in regards to the dog at the end.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Having watched it a 2nd time I think they got the balance just right. Dave Thomas came accross well and the way they used the ex players in interview I thought was spot on. Love Kenny Allen in it
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

I have to say I love it.
I felt the club came across well, they documentary makers did well with what I can imagine was limited and poor match quality footage. Cartoons helped tell the story.

It was great to see old pictures and videos of Plainmoor as this as a little before my first match (1993) the current stadium looks great I thought.

I felt tense at the end waiting for the equaliser, it was summed up beautifully at the end. ‘This is real football’ reminds me of why we love this club.

Roll on tomorrow and the reminder of the season and another chapter in the Torquay United story and hopefully our first league title. (Fingers crosse for a less tense end to the season, but would we have it any other way)

COYY
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Well, I've just watched it and the memories came flooding back.

After doing my gate I saw the match from the pop side and when we equalised I ended up at the fence but didn't quite get over it. I then went back to my place to exhort the boys for those last few seconds and I can remember a friend telling me to calm down saying "It's only a game"! My response wasn't quite the same as Shankley's but it wasn't printable.

It still makes a lovely story and everybody who contributed did us proud. Dobbo's a lad!
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Yes, I can't understand why there's any negativity bring shown to this. It's a creative piece but fundamentally a great way of preserving the ridiculousness of TUFC and that particular survival year for generations to come. The title is odd but who cares. Just watch it and don't take it too seriously!

Sad thing is they could easily make a whole series out of similar stories!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

I wouldn't say title fitted the programme....we were seen as losers though really...bottom twice and then saved in last minute. Thought it was enjoyable and i thought the dog handler chap came accross as such a present person. Dobson seems crackers though. Some right characters back then
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Enjoyed that a lot! Never knew the story of Bryn before. Love it!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I was on the pitch at the end. Remember hugging some sweaty fat bloke I'd never seen before.
Also recall the very hot weather bone hard dusty bumpy pitch and it being a dreadful game. Wonder if anyone has ever spoken to the Crewe defenders (Pemberton was one ?) to ask them why they didn't just put the ball in the stand
Guess as it was the first time of automatic relegation there was so much tension and fear of going down more than subsequent occasions
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Midlandgull wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 11:46 Enjoyed that a lot! Never knew the story of Bryn before. Love it!
You must look older than you are !!!

Only kidding pal....

Mcnichol was a good pro and can remember when he left us for Exeter and scored in last minute at saint James park I was gutted. I was there with my dad.

Dobson was a good goal scorer ....proper old fashioned striker who knew where the goal was and reliable
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

desperado wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 11:56 I was on the pitch at the end. Remember hugging some sweaty fat bloke I'd never seen before.
Also recall the very hot weather bone hard dusty bumpy pitch and it being a dreadful game. Wonder if anyone has ever spoken to the Crewe defenders (Pemberton was one ?) to ask them why they didn't just put the ball in the stand
Guess as it was the first time of automatic relegation there was so much tension and fear of going down more than subsequent occasions
It was probably Merse, he was always there huffing & puffing !
:na: :slap: :lol:
Sorry Merse, couldn't resist it .
Coyy
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 12:19 You must look older than you are !!!

Only kidding pal....

Mcnichol was a good pro and can remember when he left us for Exeter and scored in last minute at saint James park I was gutted. I was there with my dad.

Dobson was a good goal scorer ....proper old fashioned striker who knew where the goal was and reliable
:lol:

I wasn't even born in 1987!
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Enjoyed it and brought back some good memories of that day. Was standing on the open terrace part of the pop side pretty much behind the trouble and 'the bite.'

Didnt think it was a great title for the series to be honest. Have seen 5 episodes so far, would even go as far as to say disrespectful, especially to the boxer (won the world heaveyweight title), the skater and the bloke lost in the desert.
TUST #324