Bromley v Torquay United 10/8/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 12:29 Buse and the new striker need to get a chance Saturday. Do who do you guys think we’ll drop from the match day squad? Keating and Andrews for me. Nothing against Andrews personally but if he has not started last 2 games he’d be the one he’d drop? I may be wrong though
Nothing against Andrews personally, says the poster who, in the same thread, called the very same player “shit and lazy”

Ok then....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 23:39 Andrews is shit, lazy too slow. I liked him last season. This season during pre season he’s been so lazy.
Interesting to know what you liked about him last season ? and your criteria on how he has inexplicably transformed into a liability after only two games into the new season - no easy feat!
TheElk92
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by TheElk92 »

It’s reassuring that most people are keeping a level head after Tuesday's heavy defeat. For those who are coming out with the knee-jerk reactions, it’s worth remembering a few things.
Our squad have not overnight become bad players – we won the league for a reason. By the same token, Moors came 2nd in the National league for a reason – they’re good.

Tomorrow will be tough but I have no doubt that we’ll see a much improved performance. They’re young lads who are collectively having to step up their game. It may take a little time but there’s enough talent amongst them to ensure that we do well this season. What ‘well’ constitutes, still remains to be seen!
TUST Member.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Anybody with a modicum of football knowledge would realise that this season is going to be all about adjustment and consolidation.
The players are young and last season showed they undoubtedly have the ability at a technical level. This season they now have to adjust to playing full time sides who are going to be more physical in approach and perhaps more cynical; nothing wrong in that, it is just the nature of the game.
In Gary Johnson we have probably the best manager outside the championship and if anybody is going to do it, it is him.
When the fixtures came out I thought it is a tough start and wont be surprised if we go down again tomorrow. So people should more sparing in their reactions, after all nobody who has ever supported this club cannot really claim they have come to expect success.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Not at all concerned by Tuesday night.

Shit happens in football and you can't legislate for the goalkeeping mistake and the blazing howler of a decision by mrs woman ref to award the daftest penalty you will ever see, leaving us out the game after 9 minutes.

Whilst we played poorly we still created decent chances in the second half when but for their keeper one or two goals would have put a completely different complexion on the game.

If the same thing happens tomorrow we will probably lose again but if it doesn't there is every chance that things will be completely different.
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Can see Bet 365 have Bromley down as 1/1 favourites and we are 12/5. Dont think we are quite worthy of such long odds. Come on boys!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

No value odds that's for sure - the only issue I have is with the 3G pitch. If it was being played on grass I would fancy us.
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Let's face it. Sure to be a better result than when we last played Bromley. The 0 - 4 home defeat 22 Jan 2018. The day the Pop Side erupted with cheers when Tommy O'Sullivan was subbed. Possibly one of the worst performances from a Torquay player ever!
Duncan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Duncan »

Forest gull wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 13:00 Blimey we lost to the team that finished 2nd in the league above us last season. Plus we had our chances. No need to panic at all yet. Calling players shit is out of order. Remember how Reid’y got hammered a year ago? He went on to have a pretty good season.
Calm down a bit and give the lads some support, they responded well to it last season!!!
Anyone that thought we would walk this league clearly knows very little about football or is about 12.
COYY. 2-1 to us.
Liverpool have just beaten Norwich tonight by the way...
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Duncan wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 22:05 Liverpool have just beaten Norwich tonight by the way...
What! Imagine that - a newly promoted side being beaten by last years runners up. Story has a familiar ring to it.

For all the doomsayer's out there - Last years winners Leyton Orient only picked up four points in their first 4 games and won the title by 3 points from the runners up viz. Solihull. We need to put things into perspective so early into the season.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes the reaction to Tuesday nights poor result and performance, more so on Facebook rather than the forums was nothing far short of pathetic from some of our fans, I get it, a lot of fans travelled, spent their hard earned money and felt let down, however we've all been there, I, like most on this forum have been there done it worn the T-shirt over the years, when it comes to travelling long distances to away games only to witness a no show from the team, but you don't flounce off at the first sign of trouble.

Don't have to be a football expert to know the team have gone up a level, last season these players, enjoyed playing with freedom, very few teams had enough quality to match ours, all were part time, and could be worn down over the 90 minutes, that all changes now, these players are good enough, they need to adapt, learn they can't wear down the opposition, and now have to earn the right in every game to dominate possession, and play their game, soon as they do, the team, fans and club will be fine.

Think the other problem is, I don't GJ excepted CLE or Andrews to become available, rather than missing out on two players that didn't let him down he's brought them back, however with the signing of Little, he's got one to many players who he wants to get into the starting line up, it's a bit like Ling and his 'the answers are in the building' think GJ may need a few games to shuffle the pack around to find the right formula.
Formerly known as forevertufc
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

forevertufc your post is spot on as usual.

I strongly recommend to any fan the current interview with Gary Johnson on the OS. Excellent.

Gary admits team selection today will be difficult.It will take 6 to 8 games before he knows his best team and formation in my opinion.

We must be supportive and patient.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Seems like Johnson has gone with the one striker again today. It doesn't look like the Newport loanee is going to be here long as he hasn't made the bench again - unless of course he is injured.. Kalala starts for Edwards and Vincent for Lewis so fairly obvious changes I would say.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Is the game on BBC devon does anyone know ?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Aaaghhhhhh **** sake