AFC Fylde vs Torquay United 18/01/20

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Dawlishmatt do us all a favour and feck off !!
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

dawlishmatt wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 22:04 The words Swallow and Summer spring to mind.

At first glance, when I saw this, I actually thought you were going to "swallow your pride", and admit you have been mistaken. ;-)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well I can see how this result wouldn't have suited some, but once again with a tough run of fixtures coming up we can't understate the importance of this win. Well to Gary Jonson and the squad.

If can't beat a side below in the league, then don't lose to them, the 4 points from Dagenham and Fylde are looking massive now, and that's how you avoid being drawn into a relegation scrap. Personally never got sucked into this 'we're going up' nonsense, our squad was never good enough, and our club right now isn't strong enough, that's just reality, there's no longer a gap between the NLP and EFL it's a chasm, and the very reason why we're rubbing shoulders with Chesterfield, Notts County and Wrexham have been here so long, if Yeovil don't go up this season, lets see what happens to them without the parachute payment.

I look at Macclesfield, a club that can't guarantee paying their players from one month to the next, a play-off place would be great, and promotion a real bonus, but I'd take consolidation in this league right now any day of the week.
Formerly known as forevertufc
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Dawlish Matt, from what I have seen this season beating a side in the bottom six has been a challenge for us, and not always successful, these teams have more fight about them and can make things far more difficult for a team like us who wishes to play football.
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

I went with the Time Bandit yesterday and thought the performance was decent tbh. OK they're no great shakes (albeit they have this strange delusion that they're going to be a league club by 2022) but Torquay dominated the first half and could have had three or four (their goal was much against the run of play).

Bit squeaky bum after they got their second but ultimately a deserved win.

Just a point both me and my mate have spotted, why doesn't Reid actually challenge for the ball? Been to 3 matches this season, and although on the whole he played well yesterday and was excellent when in possession, he just makes no effort at all in any 50/50 stuff, and doesn't challenge anything aerial whatsoever.
Is he scared of getting hurt? Even if he's not the best in the air the least he could do is make a nuisance of himself. :-|

(On the whole very enjoyable day, lovely little club with big ambitions, very nice new shiny ground, good luck to them) :-D
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

forevertufc wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 08:55 . Personally never got sucked into this 'we're going up' nonsense, our squad was never good enough,
I have to admit I never did either, but most clubs run with thier championship winning sides in the first season of promotion, which I think is right and proper. In fact, I was amazed and delighted back on 2 Nov when we comprehensible beat Halifax away and only 3 points of the top of the league. Then the FA Cup match came around against Maidstone in which we were clueless and the rot continued for the next 7 games (as well as the injuries). There will be a culling of players at the seasons end - if we are going to push for promotion in the next - but for our first season back in the NL I think we have done exceptionally well. But then I am a pragmatist rather than an idealist.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I've always had a belief we would make the play offs. Even during such a horrendous run of injuries I've never lost that belief. There's very little between the clubs in this division, there's no Standout team but for me I see Notts County going up as Champions and any one of half a dozen clubs being capable of going up via the play offs. I see us coming up short there but definitely capable of getting inside the top 7. There's a third of the season left and we're 15 points off Barrow. Relegation? Not a chance!!

More than happy with consolidation this season while building a platform for a serious attempt next year, with Gary Johnson at the helm of course.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I must admit that I thought we would make the play offs, but not when we picked up so many injuries ending up with no midfield and no fullbacks.

As you say though its quite an average league with no standout teams, however if we can keep clear of injuries we should still have a chance. Jannehs injury may well see him back here by March and in spite of his less than productive spell this time around he will be a different proposition in a full strength side.

Should we reach the play offs with Reid and Janneh up front we would have a chance of beating anybody.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 22:09 Barnsley Chop, I was at fylde today and i'd just thought i'd let you and Lucy 6 Lucy know i,m spending the weekend in good old Blackpool with 2 of my grandkids.
Feel sorry for Fylde and Blackpool.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Brucie, good evening to you. I find your comments concerning my statement about Danny Rowe being probably the best striker in the national League, pathetic, like several of your postings.
Fact no 1. Rowe was voted player of the national League for the past 2 seasons.
Fact no 2 Rowe has scored 51 goals in the 2017/18 & 2018/19 season in the national League.
Fact no 3 Rowe was sold to Oldham Athletic on Friday for a fee reported to be around £ 120,000
If that isn't proof that he is probably one of the best players over the last few seasons in the national League, then I would love you to tell me who is.
If the truth be known, you only posted to have a dig at me. That's fine, I can take all the s*** that you and others throw at me. After working in mental health for many years, responding to people like you is like taking candy from a baby.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 14:02 I've always had a belief we would make the play offs. Even during such a horrendous run of injuries I've never lost that belief. There's very little between the clubs in this division, there's no Standout team but for me I see Notts County going up as Champions and any one of half a dozen clubs being capable of going up via the play offs. I see us coming up short there but definitely capable of getting inside the top 7. There's a third of the season left and we're 15 points off Barrow. Relegation? Not a chance!!

More than happy with consolidation this season while building a platform for a serious attempt next year, with Gary Johnson at the helm of course.
:goodpost:
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Southampton Gull I always respect your posts but I am curious why you think Notts County will be Champions this season.
Barrow have won 18 out of 29 games, are 11 points ahead of Notts County, and have a game in hand.
Torquay by the way are 17 points behind Barrow not 15 and we have played 2 games more than Barrow.
I would feel more confident of our chances of making the play offs if we did not rely so heavily on Jamie Reid for goals.
In the League Jamie has 17 followed by Ben Whitfield with 6.When everyone is fit I just feel we need more support for Jamie unless of course Jared Lewington can suddenly strike a purple patch.
With 15 games to go and hopefully the defence looking better with Gary Warren making a real difference I just feel we need a giant up front because for all his good points Jamie is not good in the air witness 1 headed goal from his first 50 for United!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Yes and Notts County still have to come to us ! Shame the scheduled game is off in a way for the finances and atmosphere but on a Tuesday evening without their several hundreds of fans behind them it may be better for us. Yeovils fans certainly were very noisy and lifted their team. Cant see anyone but Barrow at the moment , top scorers, least goals conceded and 2 potent scorers up front Quigley and Rooney with 17 and 15 goals apiece. Only 1 defeat in 20 league games since Sept 3rd, who was that to ? Oh yeah us .
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Just my hunch based on them having the resources needed to strengthen when and where needed. I know it's not that simple but having a decent budget is a huge advantage in this league as we know from previous experience. Time will tell but they're my pick.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Just to add they lost 6 of their first 9 games
What a turnaround. The two leakiest defences meet on Saturday so it shouldn't be 0-0 !