Jamie Reid's Off......

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

He's (Jamie Reid) almost certainly been in receipt of contract offers from more than one League 2 club, this will be the right move at the right time for Reidy, he will 26 before next seasons due kick date, his stock has never been so high, may never be again.

Jamie Reid has been a great servant of our club and personally wish him all best

He may well have had several offers, but how many of them are still on the table since the suspension of football.
Yes he has been a great player for the club and I too wish him the best.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Lucy6Lucy Thanks for that information, wasn't sure.

Brewers boy Do you honestly think Jamie Reid's agent is that thick or stupid that he would advise his client, to act in way that would either render him (Jamie Reid) unemployed or without any income, after all if Jamie Reid isn't getting paid, nor is his agent.

So the fact that Jamie Reid has turned down a new contract with TUFC, if we slow down and think about it, is telling something here. Either he signed up with the worlds most crap football agent, or in reality ( because football agents are not thick) Jamie Reid has, or is about to sign a contract with a new club and will be getting some or all of the agreed wage with his new club.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid

Post by Brewers boy »

Time will tell.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Can clubs sign anyone new while they have staff on furlough?
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Can clubs sign anyone, here is my take on it. I am not an expert, so happy to be corrected.

Why would you sign anyone, we have on idea when or if the season will start (fingers crossed it does). Anyone signing could not be put on furlough, as they would not have been on our books by the cut off date. So they would be unpaid or our club would foot the bill (this will not happen).

Further, our released players, including Jamie Reid may have had their contracts extended by a month or two, to ensure they can still receive furlough pay.

Plus the season is not over / decided for some

With the comments above in mind, transfers at our level will simply not be happening. However, I am sure discussion, agreements and hand shakes (from a distance) will be happening.

Fingers crossed we go again soon and we have a team and club to support.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Basically Nick's viewpoint agrees with my own. In August employers will be asked by the government to contribute to furlough payments, with no money coming in clubs may be forced to let even contracted players go; and then in October the furlough scheme ends. At that point there is no guarantee that football in front of paying spectators will be back. This could result in mass cull of football clubs below EFL Championship level.
Still it's something else to blame on Bill Gates.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Nick Potkins wrote: 15 May 2020, 10:55

Further, our released players, including Jamie Reid may have had their contracts extended by a month or two, to ensure they can still receive furlough pay.
The club still has to make social payments such as NI for people on furlough so it would make no sense to extend contracts of players who are leaving anyway

Its a risky time to be turning down a new contract, there may well be a lot of free agents around and clubs reluctant to make commitments.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I'm not an expert either, and of course a lot of my contribution to this thread is guesswork, what I find totally laughable is the notion expressed on here that Jamie Reid needs the furlough rules explaining to him, and the suggestion that he, and his agent are so thick and stupid they together have taken a course of action that would leave him (Jaime Reid) with no income.

I would suggest that Jamie Reid hasn't turned down a new contract with Torquay in the hope he'll get an offer from a EFL club, I would suggest he's turned down a new contract because he knows he has more than one firm offer waiting in the wings to sign when football starts up again ( may already have signed pre-contract with some, who knows). It would not surprise me when clubs start building their squads for next season, when ever next season will start , that Jamie Reid will soon announce who his new club is, again guesswork on my part.

This whole covid-19 and the effect it will have on football, especially with League1/2 EFL clubs, will make top performing NPL players like Jamie Reid more desirable not less, lower league EFL clubs won't be able offer 3year contracts on 15k plus a month wages as much if at all anymore, so Reidy will be looked at by a few clubs as player who could provide then with 20 goals a season for a lot less money.

With a higher number of out of work footballers, it will also bring a number of players on our clubs radar and other NPL clubs who otherwise wouldn't have considered dropped down to this level, the clear gap between the EFL and NPL that was growing will now narrow in my opinion.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

forevertufc I agree with every word you say.
Now Argyle will be in League 1 next season a move to the pilgrims would be a very good move for Jamie if he wants to stay in the area.
Am I right that most contracts expire on 30th June in most Pro Football Clubs?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

portugull wrote: 16 May 2020, 11:06 forevertufc I agree with every word you say.
Now Argyle will be in League 1 next season a move to the pilgrims would be a very good move for Jamie if he wants to stay in the area.
Am I right that most contracts expire on 30th June in most Pro Football Clubs?
Will they?
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Problem at the moment is, we have the national league's and EFL league 2 officially finished, but league's 1/Championship and Premiership still open, until those competitions are finished whichever way that might be, no one can say anything for certain, could it be more complicated if the top three divisions are played out to a natural end.

One of many ideas I've seen muted is a points per game home/away model, with promotions but not relegations, under this model we could well see Argyle playing in League 1 next season.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

League 2 Clubs met last Friday and agreed a formula which is only subject to ratification by the EFL.
Plymouth finish 3rd under the formula and are Promoted.
Exeter finish 5th and are in the Playoffs again subject to EFL Ratification.
Brent Pilnick has an article on this whole subject today on BBC Sport Football.
Donuts76
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Loram

Post by Donuts76 »

to Mansfield then?
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »