My Top 10 Torquay United Memories.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

Many of the aforementioned and I`ll add 16 March 1968 Gulls 3-0 Bury. Old Div 3 top of the table clash in front of 10693 fans and the MOTD cameras. Looked nailed on for promotion to Div 2 (Championship now) but it all went bad in the season run in to narrowly miss out.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

I have a gap of a few years due to sporting commitments and family but my favourite memories (not necessarily best matches)

1. Hereford (Home) 1993
Sounds a weird one I know, especially as it was 0-0 but it was my first United game and for some reason I was hooked from there and dragged my old man along most Saturdays from then on.

2. Gillingham (home) 1993
2-1 win and a pitch invasion, what more can you ask for. If I remember rightly this results guaranteed us safety for another season.

3. Preston North End (home) 1994
Playoff match and a full house. 2-0 win and surely we are going to Wembley? I listed to the away game on the radio in disappointment (the start of things to come) we had a really good side that year as well.

4. Exeter (home) 1996ish
We dominated them, hot day, carnival atmosphere, Rodney Jack masks out on the pop side. Those were the days

5. Orient (Away) 1998
Not the result we wanted but my first ‘proper’ away day. (Not a local derby) support was excellent

6. Scarborough (Home) 1998
Thought we were unbeatable that day. If we played half as good in the final we would of walked it

7. Plymouth (Away) 2001 I think
2-2 draw. We were un fancied and snatched a draw. Felt like a win, great atmosphere.

8. Plymouth (Home) 2011
Completely outplayed them and won 3-1 great to see us dominate our a club that has always overshadowed us (although it didn’t last long)

9. Woking (Away) 2019
Another great away day and that goal and scenes at the end.

10. Hungerford (Home)2019
It seems few of our memorable matches we actually play well. It’s show football is more than just the results. Great day and amazing to see us lift the trophy.
cockneycockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by cockneycockers »

Southern Area Sherpa Van Final away at Wolves 1989.
1-0 from the home leg until the last 10 minutes to the runaway 3rd division leaders. Two goals in the last 10 minutes from Steve Bull meant we had no chance in the 2nd leg. Oh well, let’s turn up for the lads.
Wolves had advanced info printed for the final. They were so sure.
2 nil Torquay. Dean Edwards and a cheeky quick free kick from Loram. We had just sold Lee Sharpe to Man Utd. but he was in with the foolish 100 or so that made the journey.
Could barely keep ourselves contained on the way back to the motor past the shell shocked Wolves fans.
The best.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Not sure if mentioned elsewhere but I see that Gary McGuire has passed away.
Another in our list of brilliant keepers, an inspired Frank O'Farrell signing who was a big part in our clinching promotion in 66
We had three keepers that season, Terry Adlington for the first third then Mike Turner who wasn't quite at the level required then Gary who was quite outstanding. Think he must have sustained a bad injury as his spell ended half way through the following season.
Donuts76
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Loram

Post by Donuts76 »

7th Augut 2004
Bristol City 1
lost signal in the Andes
8th August 2004
Torquay 1
got signal back upon arrival in Cusco.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Donuts76 your post made me laugh out loud. It is funny how sometimes things like this stay with you for the rest of your life.

I may have said before but I always remember Frank O'Farrell inviting me up to Plainmoor to see the physio when I had a bad knee injury playing South Devon League Football. I was so surprised by his kindness I never will forget it.