Buckle seen in Bristol

General chat about anything else goes here.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

tommygull wrote:http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/page/Lat ... 92,00.html

The chairman confirms that no decision has yet been made because some candidates are currently out of the country and havnet been interviewed yet.
Ah that's it then, must be Jose Mourinho they're after. I guess they'll have to wait until after the Champions League Final then .... just like they'll have to wait for Paul Buckle should Jose turn it down (unlikely). :na:
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

Southampton Gull wrote:Shane, I've not seen anyone saying any deal has been done, but that doesn;t mean there isn't one, or a few for that matter, on offer.
SNW did a few pages back...
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

The idea that Gas and Buckle would want to work together is plausible. Despite now being in the same ocean, they are a bigger fish. Certainly not a shark, but probably an Atlantic Cod if we were a plaice. They could probably offer Buckle an increased salary and higher playing budget and it would be easier to attract players. However, the timing makes me sceptical.

Buckle's stock will rise tenfold if he takes us up again. Leading little old Torquay from the Conference to League One in four seasons would be an incredible achievement and would be noted by chairmen higher up the pyramid. Buckle is an ambitious bloke and another promotion on his CV would make him worthy of a job bigger and better than Rovers. So the suggestion that he is holding talks with them a few days before our play-off semi-final makes absolutely no sense. Even if Rovers wanted him, I'd be shocked if Simon Baker let our manager talk to a rival at such a crucial stage of our season. I don't think any board members would stand in Buckle's way should another club show serious interest, but they would be barking mad to allow him to discuss terms four days before we host the Shrews.

I wouldn't pay any attention to the odds. It's such a small market that it would only take a few bets to shift the price. He was odds-on for the job in January which tells you that there can be smoke without fire. If he lives in the Bristol area, then there could a be a number of reasons why he was spotted at the Mem by that Rovers fans' mate's brother's security guard's dog. Buckle will eventually leave. Probably soon than later. But he hasn't worked this hard for 46 games to then jolly on up to Bristol and open talks with them when he has a play-off campaign to prepare for - one that will not only impact Torquay's future, but also his own.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

When is he ever right about anything? :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tommygull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by tommygull »

Gulls10 wrote:I am a big fan of Buckle and would love him to stay, but I can't understand the logic behind not going to Rovers. Rovers, as it stands, are potential. They are probably at or near their lowest ebb and you would think can only go one way (although see Bradford for what can happen) whereas we are probably at or near the top of our potential.

We dont know what goes on behind the scenes at either club or the promises made by our board or theirs, but if you look 4 or 5 years into the future I would guess that Rovers would be in a league (or two?) higher than us. That is what will attract Buckle to Rovers, or any other job.

I was disappointed when McFarland left and then we got Rosenior who in my opinion built on Roy's good work. it could happen again if Buckle left. Managers do come to a natural point when it makes sense to leave and now might be the best time for him. If we dont go up, can he repeat the process? His stock is pretty high so why not cash in. No manager or player are bigger then the club and who is to say that we wont get someone better in. Just a thought.
I'm sorry but I can't let this go. Roy McFarland was a joke. Biggest mistake this club made (other than the roberts affair). Look at what he then did at burton, won the conference by 2 points after taking over with an 18 point cushion. Then they sacked him off.
:( Tommy :)
miagsygas
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by miagsygas »

Can we (gasheads) stop this bigger club rubbish? We insult the city fans for their perception of seeing themselves as 'massive' but are looking just as bad as them. Your as big as where you are in the league, in my opinion.

Came back to post this article from our Evening Post, which mentions quite interestingly from the Victor Chandler spokesperson that alot of the betting for Buckle for next Rovers manager came from devon:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/sport/Bo ... ticle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

miagsygas wrote:Can we (gasheads) stop this bigger club rubbish? We insult the city fans for their perception of seeing themselves as 'massive' but are looking just as bad as them. Your as big as where you are in the league, in my opinion.

Came back to post this article from our Evening Post, which mentions quite interestingly from the Victor Chandler spokesperson that alot of the betting for Buckle for next Rovers manager came from devon:http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/sport/Bo ... ticle.html
No surprise really seeing as Torquay fans were made aware of rumours pretty quickly. I'd imagine alot of the betting also came from Avon.
Gulls10
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Benyon

Post by Gulls10 »

tommygull wrote: I'm sorry but I can't let this go. Roy McFarland was a joke. Biggest mistake this club made (other than the roberts affair). Look at what he then did at burton, won the conference by 2 points after taking over with an 18 point cushion. Then they sacked him off.
I am not going to get into a discussion about Roy McF, but IMO opinion he did a decent job for us and left us something to build on. What he did at Burton some 10 or so years later is irrlevant. We have had plenty worse than Roy.....May, Kubik, Conforth....

Anyway, my point is that managers come and go and we may get a better manager if Buckle does leave. People like Burcie and Jonsey have never really like Buckle anyway and will no doubt be glad he may be moving on. Football is opinions...
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

You would have thought that Bucks would have gone to a L1 or Championship side when he moves.

Fingers crossed , taking us up 2 divisions warrants some serious attention by clubs higher up so I just dont get him going to another L2 side, potential or no potential that Rovers have.

I reckon it will be Brentford, solid L1 team no real expectations to get to the Championship (much like our position in L2 to go up) but given a fair wind they could make it.

I notice they are also interviewing and were turned down by the St Johnstone manager.

Reckon Rovers have some serious competition on their hands.
TUST #324
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

The only way I can see Bucks going to Brizzle is if they can promise him a busget for them to win the league next season (raising his profile) and if Brizzle has any willing TV presenters
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Rovers are a bigger club than Torquay. Really?! We all know and accept this. But Rovers fans coming on here shouting about it is embarassing - for them, not us. It really is playground stuff, and does those amongst your support base with more than 3 brain cells, no justice. If you're the sleeping giants you claim to be you wouldn't be wasting your time bragging about your size compared to 'Little Old Torquay'. Seriously, we know our place, and have absolutely no problem with it. I'm sure you've heard this before, but size isn't everything. A psychologist would make much of your obsession with size. I only hope League 2 is big enough to accomodate you.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

tommygull wrote: I'm sorry but I can't let this go. Roy McFarland was a joke. Biggest mistake this club made (other than the roberts affair). Look at what he then did at burton, won the conference by 2 points after taking over with an 18 point cushion. Then they sacked him off.
I m sorry but I cannot let that go. Rosenior was an excellent coach - and that is exactly what he did very well - with the team McFarland built. We (and you) should remember that.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
gashead468
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Wyane Carisle

Post by gashead468 »

usagullmichigan wrote:The only way I can see Bucks going to Brizzle is if they can promise him a busget for them to win the league next season (raising his profile) and if Brizzle has any willing TV presenters
Our Chairman has made it clear to all involved with the club that he wants to come straight back up. Now regardless at the size of our club or not the intent and desire is there. Our board, I believe, will take the gamble and allow whoever is in charge, Buckle or not, a decent budget to do this at the first attempt. However in order for that to happen the club will need to have a massive clear out and potentially start again, retaining our so called better players and adding accordingly.

I know as well as most that it doesnt always happen like that and no one team has a divine right to be in any league, Leeds, Soton, Sheff Wed, Brad etc etc, but what it does do is allow young hungry players / managers a chance at taking centre stage. There is no question that next season we will be considered a 'bigger team' in the league and will be able to attract a better calibre of player and manager than most.

Pehaps this is Buckle's opportunity?
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by BritishGAS »

I swear some of The Gull's fans are reading what they want to read and not reading what is actually in front of their screens.

Where have Rovers fans been boasting?

All I have read from Gasheads is that Paul Buckle moving to Rovers would be a step up in the long term, Its not about being a "Bigger Club", but the fact that he will have more funds to spend, a more lucrative contract personally, The chance to progress a club that are in the doldrums who should'nt be in League 2 with the finance and funds at their disposal, A chance to manage a club with a bigger fan base, A club with bigger potential who could attract a better standard of player.

I dont see any arrogance in that at all, just a realistic point of view.

The reply's from some Gulls fans have been pathetic, Ok I can understand you being agrieved that your coach who you admire is being touted as the next Gas manager, but please dont make up stuff like Rovers fans are boasting about being a bigger club, because that is bullsh*t.

I had nothing but admiration for Torquay, and all I said was that Rovers had far more potential to progress than Torquay, and then some numpty's read something completely different and started reacting like a bunch of girls.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

BritishGAS wrote:I swear some of The Gull's fans are reading what they want to read and not reading what is actually in front of their screens.

Where have Rovers fans been boasting?

All I have read from Gasheads is that Paul Buckle moving to Rovers would be a step up in the long term, Its not about being a "Bigger Club", but the fact that he will have more funds to spend, a more lucrative contract personally, The chance to progress a club that are in the doldrums who should'nt be in League 2 with the finance and funds at their disposal, A chance to manage a club with a bigger fan base, A club with bigger potential who could attract a better standard of player.

I dont see any arrogance in that at all, just a realistic point of view.

The reply's from some Gulls fans have been pathetic, Ok I can understand you being agrieved that your coach who you admire is being touted as the next Gas manager, but please dont make up stuff like Rovers fans are boasting about being a bigger club, because that is bullsh*t.

I had nothing but admiration for Torquay, and all I said was that Rovers had far more potential to progress than Torquay, and then some numpty's read something completely different and started reacting like a bunch of girls.

by Brfclegendinho » Today, 11:59

Make the most of it! Next season it will be buckles blue and White army! I Look forward to the easy win and weekend away by the coast next year after the shrews hit you for 5 or 6. Even your manager knows you have no hope of going anywhere!

There are several more arrogant posts like the above they can be shown throughout this thread. You going to defend things such as this are you???

I have to say most of the Rovers fans who have come on are are the biggest bunch of arrogant pr1cks and show your club in a very poor light - especially considering the season you have just had!

Here is an idea - discuss it on your forum until your heart is content and stop coming on here with your big 'I am / we are' bullshit looking for a reaction.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/