Gary Johnson, stick or twist?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Do you support GJ?

Poll ended at 17 Jan 2023, 14:06

Yes - keep him
52%
No - get rid
48%

Total votes: 69

thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

Cheddargull wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 13:45 Alternatively look at the attendances of Woking, Barnet and Solihull. Those are compariable or worse than Torquay's and yet those clubs occupy the play off places.
GJ has **** up, like he eventually did at every other club he has managed. That said I don't think the club will sack him because he appears to enjoy a good working relationship with the owner.
The thing with attendances is at most lower league clubs they are massively influenced by what is happening on the pitch. Successful teams bring in much bigger crowds. Look at Wrexham before they were a Hollywood club their attendances were typically 3-4K instead of the 9-10k they bring in now.

Plymouth are another example they have managed to double their average attendance now to when they were in league 2 not that long ago. With our catchment area we really should be bringing in 3k plus a week imo but you can hardly blame the casual fan for not turning up to crap we put out every week.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

Include the fact that our catchment area includes many people who are not native to the area and therefore have no interest in our club. The fact that it is mostly a low wage economy for the local working population for our potential supporter base. Football is not a cheap "entertainment " anymore. Maybe the "commercial " dept should be far more creative in coming up with ways to attract new support rather than just match day meals and sponsorship !!

As for the actual question on this thread yes GJ has lost the plot and as for Downes maybe if he actually coached the team to bloody defend rather than spend matchdays shouting into the 4th officials ear and if PJ actually went scouting instead of being sat next to his brother every bloody game we might get somewhere !!!!!

:@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

Dutchgull wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 11:16 Include the fact that our catchment area includes many people who are not native to the area and therefore have no interest in our club. The fact that it is mostly a low wage economy for the local working population for our potential supporter base. Football is not a cheap "entertainment " anymore. Maybe the "commercial " dept should be far more creative in coming up with ways to attract new support rather than just match day meals and sponsorship !!

As for the actual question on this thread yes GJ has lost the plot and as for Downes maybe if he actually coached the team to bloody defend rather than spend matchdays shouting into the 4th officials ear and if PJ actually went scouting instead of being sat next to his brother every bloody game we might get somewhere !!!!!

:@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@
:goodpost:
Getting rid of Downes would save money and remove from the club an ineffective whinger who seeks to blame everyone except his own incompetence. What a blowhard, waste of time, useless mouthpiece he truly is. Get out Downes.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

thebigp1 wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 06:52
With our catchment area we really should be bringing in 3k plus a week imo but you can hardly blame the casual fan for not turning up to crap we put out every week.
It would also help the casual fan if they could decide on the day whether to attend or not and pay by card/cash on the gate. Putting barriers in the way of your customers is asking for trouble.
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

Lots of sense from Madgull.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Napoleon supposedly wanted lucky generals rather than good ones and it looks like the luck has run out for GJ.
Today really should be the end but I just cant see it happening.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

It is time to go .....a 6 pointer must win game, and once again we fail. 3 wins in 21 games is simply not acceptable.
Do the decent thing Johnson and resign.

A change is needed now, while we have enough games to maybe get out of this mess you have put us in with your useless recruitment.
A great shame but now is the time.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Just watched the first half of "Gaffer reflects on Gateshead point" (i couldnt stomach the second half of it). They must laugh after recording this guff. I wonder if they write the script in advance of the game as its not borne out of reality. In seriousness though I worry for Gary Johnson's wellbeing in some of these interviews.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Chelston TUFC wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 19:57 Just watched the first half of "Gaffer reflects on Gateshead point" (i couldnt stomach the second half of it). They must laugh after recording this guff. I wonder if they write the script in advance of the game as its not borne out of reality. In seriousness though I worry for Gary Johnson's wellbeing in some of these interviews.
I agree the interviews have become more embarrasing after each game... his son Lee should be telling him he does not need this and to go and enjoy his retirement. He looks frustrated with it all, and hardly suprising ....but when you recruit badly this is what u get.

P 21 W 3 D 6 L 12 GD-19 POINTS 15
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

For those saying a change in manager would lead to an improvement in results, you might want to look at Slough Town. They have just replaced their long-term management team, and the new manager had a dream start. A humiliating 1-5 home defeat. Just a warning, a change isn't always the best option.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

grockle wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 05:40 For those saying a change in manager would lead to an improvement in results, you might want to look at Slough Town. They have just replaced their long-term management team, and the new manager had a dream start. A humiliating 1-5 home defeat. Just a warning, a change isn't always the best option.
I take your point but enough is enough ! BUT nothing will change as Osborne does not give a damn what division we are in that is obvious as any normal club would have acted by now.
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

We just have to be patient. If Osborne wasn't there, then we wouldn't exist. He's been bankrolling us for a few years now.

I'm confident that a few more funds will be made available, a couple of quality signings in the new year and a change in those 50/50 situations which aren't going our way and we'll be fine.

It's all exciting stuff. Disappointing yesterday, but both our and their goals looked like fouls. If neither were given we'd have kept the momentum and won. It's the way it rolls. All exciting stuff!
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

I think Johnson should stay for what is our inevitable relegation. He needs to own it so that a new manager coming in doesn't have to take the can for the relegation and can start afresh next season.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

I find this season far from exciting....100 mph hoofball football, no ideas, cannot defend or keep a lead .
Loanees that are keeping out the Marquee signings we were promised and who have failed, The risk of losing Ellis who is the best centre back
at the club....does not say a lot for the rest does it. We are deep in the Brown stuff, and if anybody thinks otherwise with 3 wins in 21 needs to wipe the Brown stuff from their eyes and book an appointment at the Opticians pretty damn quick.
Johnson OUT.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Keep Johnson and go down or get rid and at least make a fight of it to stay up with a new helmsman.