Managers press conference today

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 12:13 And this is the crux of the problem, who out of CO or the board know anything about football to make a very important managerial appointment?
I've been thinking that myself. There are and will be more suitable managers out there but I doubt George Edwards has the know how to spot one, perhaps that is why they persist with Johnson.
Stoneybroke
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoneybroke »

Well my plan as a loyal supporter...There used to be a Situations Vacant in my day..pretty sure the same would exist today.

Anyway how did Clarke appoint him in the first place? If I remember correctly he arrived hard on the heels of Owers
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

I see that today's Western Morning News quotes Gary Johnson as saying he'd like to stay on.

He mentions carrying on the project and makes the delusional and hilarious comment that he doesn't like bad lack letting him down.

I don't think that shambolic recruitment and brainless tactics can be ascribed to bad luck.

This is another reason why he has to go. He refuses to accept any blame for what, apart from the last few games, has been an absolutely abysmal season.

If he's kept on he wont be able to rely on talented loan signings from his son's club which was the scenario when the club was last in regional non league football.
eddie6817
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by eddie6817 »

If the owner understood the game Johnson would have been given the boot long ago. He gets us relegated to an obscure league and thinks he can keep his job unbelievable.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I've been pro Johnson for this season but am unsure as to whether a fresh start would be best now.

One major error that I think he made was in the last few minutes at Altringham. His interview said we conceded when looking for another goal to improve our goal difference. If that's correct and the reason we didn't reinforce the defence /midfield as we usually do with a narrow lead, then it was a major tactical error. Another goal for us would have made very little difference but had we held on for a win, tomorrow we'd have 'just' needed a win and one of York or Maidenhead to fail to win. Altringham were catching us on the break as we pushed forward but would have been less likely to score if we hadn't been looking for that third goal.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

No blame Johnson as he is now known.
Messiah from game 38…..yeah right 🙄
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Judge him after 10 games into the new season !!!

That will be a total of 56 games - surely enough to see if he is the messiah or just an old pretender. 😜
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Torquay in the league they've been demoted to should be a big fish in a small pool, anything less than immediate promotion would be a failure,let's face it Coco the clown managing the club would probably be able to gain promotion, I didn't mean GJ but the circus character.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

274 votes on TorquayTalk with51% voting as a Bad decision to be keeping the Clown failure 🙄
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

greb46 wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 08:28 Torquay in the league they've been demoted to should be a big fish in a small pool, anything less than immediate promotion would be a failure,let's face it Coco the clown managing the club would probably be able to gain promotion, I didn't mean GJ but the circus character.
Well, last time, lets be honest, it was obvious early on that Owers wouldn't manage it...
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by greb46 »

He had personality bypass apart from anything else so would turn a wedding event into a funeral,rent a misery,hardly ideal to give confidence to players.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

greb46 wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 10:07 He had personality bypass apart from anything else so would turn a wedding event into a funeral,rent a misery,hardly ideal to give confidence to players.
Agree.
Never met a more dour man who was a football manager....
Think he needed to visit McDonalds and get some happy meals down him....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by greb46 »

How he was employed by anyone in any capacity of management is unbelievable, I've never seen a more sullen , miserable man in such a position in any walk of life and that's when he won !
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

The 50/50 poll, whilst clearly unscientific, probably is accurate of fans' thoughts. There are arguments for both camps and I'd just encourage everyone getting angry about him staying to take a moment and really think about whether ranting and raving on here / Twitter is really going to help anyone or anything.

My view is that I'd take our package over the other 3 teams that were relegated. I am all but certain things with our owner will blow up at some point but he's not pulled the plug now and we remain funded and full time.

Yes, the bulk of the season was littered with farce and failure but why not shift mindsets and harness the spirit and passion of the final 8 games and get behind Gary and whatever team he pulls together? Negativity can only be to the detriment of the team and ourselves.

I suspect for most of us things will be far less depressing in a month. We at least have a team to support and after all a new season always brings new hope!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

This is all added fuel to the Osborne conspiracy theorists , keep Johnson, watch us tank next season and play in the southern league.