Ex-Gull watch

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Well you definitely haven’t seen Ash play, it’s his inability to take chances, he got 14 last season but should have had 20 plus. He puts a lot of half chances high or wide, rarely on target, which is a big no no. I hope we have found the right combination to get the best out of him.

Jarvis, I think there are a lot of sour grapes, with everyone seeming to know he was joining Yeovil before they perhaps even did. Maybe it didn’t help being injured and some believing he prolonged it so as not to put his move in jeopardy.

He gave 100% in every match, was strong, bought others into play, although it did feel he started going down the route of just trying to win free kicks more and more as the season wore on.

Nouble and Jarvis were excellent in the games they played together, so may well prove a fantastic signing for them.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Ash has played for two struggling teams the last two seasons and scored 38 goals
How many do you want him to score ?
No striker takes every chance , credit to him for getting in the positions. He will get more in a decent team.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Personally I think thats rubbish about Jarvis pretending to be injured. - You only have to look at him in the dugout at Taunton, he was practically playing the game although not on the pitch.

The thing to remember about Jarvis is that he was playing in a dire team for most of the time he was here. Its the typical mentality though a player goes to our rivals and they are immediately shit. Apparently Yeovil are going to get relegated now they have got Jarvis and Mcgavin. Yet the same people were saying that it would be great to have Nouble and Jarvis together.

Where we might score though is having more striking options this time around. I would say that one more forward is needed though.
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

I genuinely think Ash is a good player, I've no doubt he'll show this (he has in flashes) his record in the past two seasons is pretty solid, Crosbie is a bit of a wildcard,he could be a fantastic signing or it may not take off,but something tells me he'll be fine...and Seymour had a good season last season, got to think and stay positive, Jarvis had been good for us, but a lot of his goals were penalties, he seems to go on a good streak, then it would tail off, that was repeated a lot in his spell with us, good luck to him, but I'm not overly worried by him going, bit of a shame Archer has gone as I liked his work rate and enthusiasm.
PainInTheGULLiver85
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PainInTheGULLiver85 »

Yes Brad has missed some real sitters, but keeps going , never stops running and always puts defenders under pressure. He is a good player at this level, and his goal return shows that. His home performance vs hampton(1-0) was superb he ran the defence ragged playing as lone striker, he showed hes definitely good enough. Wotton knows the level and we have to buy into what he is doing.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Brucie is right in his breakdown of each player to be fair BUT I think Wotton will want a more mobile and dynamic front line in which the players he's gone for could well prove to be exceptional. Jarvis is the real deal at this level but he's not the most mobile player and over an extended period I think he's proven he has quiet spells where the goals dry up. Ash could prove to be more prolific if he can be taught to convert more of the chances he gets.

Personally I'm excited by the thought of a younger fitter and hungrier team.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Both Jarvis and McGavin have shown glimpses of potential in their time here, but neither were consistent. I dont see either as being any more than mid table NL level. If I were a Yeovil fan I wouldn't be particularly excited by either signing. If he clicks with Frank again it could be a great signing.

Is Jarvis better than the three we have signed? Possibly. However he didn't exactly tear up this league when he did play last season. The most telling thing for me is that I am not that disappointed he has gone.
Owlgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Owlgull »

Firstly, I wish every player who has played for us over the last couple of torrid seasons well - yes even Ross Marshall.

I view the coming season with optimism and excitement. Our team last year looked good on paper, but injuries aside, I wonder if those same players, either consciously or unconsciously thought themselves too good for NLS and were completely caught out by the opposition, who week after week demonstrated their passion, desire and commitment to win at all costs. What I saw in those players was totally lacking in our own team who often looked as though they thought that all they had to do was turn up.

Sadly they too often didn’t turn up and we lost regularly to supposedly “inferior “ teams. Well now we have PW who appears to be building a team that will hopefully show that same level of desire and commitment that we played against last year. That, combined with a manager and assistant who are able to coach,organise and inspire a team (and club) towards promotion, and help to restore some pride on and off the pitch.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Listening to PW he wants high energy players who give everything. Just the sort of teams that outplayed us over and over last season. Bring it on I say
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

brucie how many times did you see Jarvis play?

In 6 years prior to playing for Scunthorpe he played just 52 games scoring 4 goals. In 2 seasons 2020 to 2022 he played 32 games for Scunny netting only 4 goals.

In his first year at Plainmoor in 37 games he scored 15 goals and last season in 19 games he netted 9 goals which I think included at least 5 pens.

Now I accept playing with Frank Nouble at Yeovil he might come good but I would not bet on it and of course can he stay fit?

I have nothing against him but I will be very surprised if he suddenly becomes a prolific striker at Yeovil.
The Eternal Optimist
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by The Eternal Optimist »

When Jarvis played all we did was play high balls up to him hoping he could score. It rarely happened. Opposition defences were easily able to deal with high balls meant for Jarvis. When he was out of the team we didn't stop scoring. We had to find other ways to the goal other than lobbing up to him. And we did find other ways, and it was only when Jarvis was out towards the end of the season that we found the way to play a bit of creative football. Successful teams do not rely on one player to score all the goals. All outfield players should be capable of scoring. The team we had three seasons ago was capable of doing that - that is why they were successful.
General Falisimo
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by General Falisimo »

I on the other hand have Great Expectations for our new Pub League player. Built like a tank, over 6' which surpasses the height of our normal CF's by about 6".

Will enhance our scoring chances from a corner by 100% so what's not to like?

I've lost count of the times supporters have said why don't we/didn't we give this or that Pub League Player a chance, and now that we have done!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Crosbie could be anything, but the league he was playing in was amateurish - I'd expect us to sign another striker maybe on loan -whatever the whys and wherefores you need 4 striking options so if we end up with that we should be in a far better position than we have been for the past couple of seasons when we have had no striker on the bench for around 50% of the time.

Portugull -seen every single torquay game that has been livestreamed thanks. Jarvis is not particularly good n the air or quick come to that but he could do well in a better team. In his first season here he was in a god awful team. When coupled with Nouble that was a pretty decent combination. If he has overcome his injuries he could do well for them - who knows?

Pretending that he is crap just because he has gone somewhere else is nonsense though.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

brucie wrote: 15 Jun 2024, 10:09 Yet the same people were saying that it would be great to have Nouble and Jarvis together.

Where we might score though is having more striking options this time around. I would say that one more forward is needed though.
Think I was one of those people, based on the ten or so games towards the end of our relegation season - in which they were both absolute menaces. The concern for Nouble is always his fitness, espeically on articifial surface, but he had a decent season at Yeovil. Jarvis, like any striker, needs decent service and that was something the team struggled with for all of last season. To you point about his aerial prowess - he'll score goals if he gets half-decent crosses, he's shown that before. His entire career has been in struggling teams, that's why it was kind of a surprise to seem him signing for another team for whom 'consolidation' would be a decent season.

They'll probably be an effective partnership in NL next season, but Yeovil probably won't e challenging for promotion again. And if they start badly, their owner could well have a twitter meltdown - I will 100% be there for it, lol.

I, too, think we need another striker, alythough I imagine it'll be a loan siging; with 3 strikers on our own books, plugging a potential gap with a loanee makes sense, especially if Crosbie does turn out to be good. I would also expect a central defender and midfield on loan, and *possibly* a goalkeeper.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

brucie I never said he was crap and I conceded he might come good playing with Nouble.

It was obvious from way back he was off to Yeovil but Torquay United was his first Club were he actually enhanced his reputation after years of failure at various other Clubs.

Good luck to him I just have my doubts about fitness and whether he has the skillset to be a prolific striker after so many years as a Pro Player. Thats all I am saying.