Buckle could be a mistake

General chat about anything else goes here.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Buckle could be a mistake

Post by usagullmichigan »

I have been thinking (hoping :~D ) that while at Torquay Buckle has been a manager and no or low pressure really. He joined us when we had no players and there was no expectation. We got promoted and some had us as going straigh back down. This season we finished above where we expected. Now Buckle has to win promotion with Brizil. I would imagine that is all the board expect. He may not be any good under that pressure. Heres hoping. :bow:
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Eventually Karma will come round and bite him on the arse. Give it time. I still think hes not as good as he thinks. His man management skills are woeful at best.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

AlexGulls wrote:Eventually Karma will come round and bite him on the arse. Give it time. I still think hes not as good as he thinks. His man management skills are woeful at best.
If that's the case why were Stanley and Bevan so happy to join him at Bristol Rovers? Why does Guy Branston call him the best manager he has ever played under? Paul Buckle is a lot of things but I really do feel that the accusation he is a poor man manager is wide of the mark.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

DevonYellow wrote:If that's the case why were Stanley and Bevan so happy to join him at Bristol Rovers?
He'll find it hard to play them out of position...
DavetheRave
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by DavetheRave »

Plus what Bevan said about him in the Bristol Evening Post....about being the best manager he has ever played under..
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Well look at the amount of players he's fallen out with whilst he's been here...
shaunicus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by shaunicus »

And look where they all are.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

AlexGulls wrote:Well look at the amount of players he's fallen out with whilst he's been here...
All of whom he wasn't playing becuase they weren't good enough. No players doesn't like being in the side and some their toys out of the pram.

None of the players he let go have proved him wrong...Steve Woods, Matt Green, Chirs Hargreaves, Carayol.

As I said, IMHO he is a lot of things but dont feel this accusation is fair.
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

Bucks was not my cup of tea either but he gave me a great 4 years as a torquay fan and i'll never forget that. I am still a Rosenior fan at heart but what Bucks has done for this club is more impressive.
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

I don't really have the anger towards Buckle that many seem to - he did well for us, an opportunity to test himself elsewhere came along and he took it. He has ambitions and believes in his ability and if he thinks Bristol Rovers is the right place for him then fair enough. I admit, the timing and rumours of deals being made before our season was over somewhat sour the departure, but I think he did a good job at Torquay United and don't wish failure upon him.

Having said that, I agree with the original post that expectation at his new club is higher, and if expectations aren't met he might not get a lot of time to turn things around and could be shown the door pretty quickly, which wouldn't look good on his CV when he's trying to climb the managerial ladder in future. I don't know how good a squad they had in place before he came, but it could be tricky for a new manager of a newly relegated team to turn them so quickly into winners. I know he did it at Torquay in the conference, but a lot of that was based on simply being fitter than the other teams, which won't be such a factor in this league.

But I suppose if he didn't try we'd never know if he could do it. Only time will tell.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Honestly - I've stopped caring about Buckle. He did his job for us - getting us out of the conference. Some of the shenanigans about his going to rovers leave a little bit of a nasty taste in the mouth but it's not all that different to what happened when he joined us from Exeter. So I guess what goes around, comes around.

I'm trying to stay positive about next season, but it's really quite difficult at the moment. As I've said before - it seems a real shame and it's basically saying that despite everything we've strived for recently, we might as well have not bothered.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

DevonYellow wrote: If that's the case why were Stanley and Bevan so happy to join him at Bristol Rovers? Why does Guy Branston call him the best manager he has ever played under? Paul Buckle is a lot of things but I really do feel that the accusation he is a poor man manager is wide of the mark.
Money!!!
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Just commenting on a quote a bit further back - "and it's basically saying that despite everything we've strived for recently, we might as well have not bothered." I would say never say that in football. My quote would always be "it is better to have tried and failed than not try at all" I know exactly how you feel at present (Having been through this many times in my 48 years of supporting the Gas. Things will get better and when you have a manager on board and he brings new players (contacts) in you will forget the last couple of weeks and be awaiting the new season with anticipation like the other 91 clubs. The rumour on our site is that we will lose 4 of our seven contracted players this week (Coles, Lines,Kuffour and Sawyer) with the rumour also that Stuart campbell will be going.So we will be left with possibly two players Blizzard (who is on about 3500 a week and hardly ever played but seems happy to sit out on his money) and Wayne Brown with all the rest being youngsters. Interesting times ahead but my message to you Torquay fans is Keep the Faith-which I am sure you will all do despite comments made on here. (The same sort of comments appear on every clubs forums!!! Regards.
exetergull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Super Kevin Hill

Post by exetergull »

Personnally I never liked Buckle and am not sad to see him go!! I do find it funny how he see's this move as a good career move....then steals/likely to steal all our best players. I mean if it's a move up and he's looking to improve then why does he think that making his team up of all last season players will do the job, why didn't he just stay put where they all already were!!!! Obviously not a move for his career then but for his own wallet!!

I for one hope he falls well and truly on his ass and has a bit of a reality check as to his own ability...if you are that good find your own new players and leave ours alone.

Look out Rover cos he will fall out with some of you players and it won't be a smooth ride for you!! Lock up your wifes!!! End of rant!
Gashead1979
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Gashead1979 »

exetergull wrote:Personnally I never liked Buckle and am not sad to see him go!! I do find it funny how he see's this move as a good career move....then steals/likely to steal all our best players. I mean if it's a move up and he's looking to improve then why does he think that making his team up of all last season players will do the job, why didn't he just stay put where they all already were!!!! Obviously not a move for his career then but for his own wallet!!

I for one hope he falls well and truly on his ass and has a bit of a reality check as to his own ability...if you are that good find your own new players and leave ours alone.Look out Rover cos he will fall out with some of you players and it won't be a smooth ride for you!! Lock up your wifes!!! End of rant!

Err, who brought them to you in the first place?!

Out of contract players can make their own decisions who they sign for, and you dont have to accept any offers for your contracted players, so what is the problem exactly??

If someone offered you a similar job for more money im sure you'd take it too, managers are no different.

Buckle can now offer higher wages to get better calibre of players in to add to the ones he takes with him, plus players are attracted by the prospect of playing if front of a larger crowd.

I think he'd have come here even if you won at OT, but I wonder if you'd have as much of a problem with him if he'd won you that games??