Your best ever XI.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I cannot believe nobody has Mo Camara in their team!!!???
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Van Huesden (Probably spelt that wrong)

McGlinchey Woods Taylor Rosenior

Hill Russell Fowler Zebroski

Graham Gritton
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

Southall
Canoville
Moore
Woods
Gibbs
Zebroski
Russell
Healy (anyone else mentioned him? I may be tainted by his amazing performances on Championship Manager)
Hill
Jack
Graham

Scott Partridge is a name I haven't spotted that I think deserves some recognition.

Marriot, Thomas, Kuffour, Nicholson, Williams all come close, and if I included loan players Roberts and Alan Lee might also be considered.

Kevin Dearden also a legend.

And as much of a legend as he is I feel we should be able to think of another left midfielder other than Hilly.
uberwozza
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: caldwell

Post by uberwozza »

Caldwell

Caldwell
Caldwell
Caldwell

Caldwell
Caldwell
Caldwell
Caldwell

Caldwell
Caldwell
Caldwell
doogull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: E. O kane

Post by doogull »

Mo Gull wrote:I can't believe i haven't seen Van Heusden (?) in goal yet. He doesn't make my list either, but that was one tall shot stopping keeper.

Marriot
Watson Moore
Gibbs Gurney

Greavsie

Fowler Russell

Jack Graham Kuffor

I think you can only have gibbs and gurney if you're having them both. The amount of times a team would be able to deal with one attacking full back, only for the other one to set up a goal was outstanding. Moore, even at 18 was a hero. He has no regard for his personal safety. Watson was the same. I figure Russle and Fowler can focus on setting up goals with Greavsie cleaning up. Jack and kuffour running rings, while graham puts them in from 18 yard line. perfect.

Notable mentions
Goodridge, Tom Kelly, McGlinchley, Bedeau, Hill, Darby, Okorie, Nev, Mcall,

People i wish i'd never seen

Mark Sale, gary nelson (except his last min winner again mansfield), Dearden, Hockley, Benefield, Chris curran, Waddle, Reeves, wilmot

well im a bit bemused by these two being included as I think matt hockley yes a limited midfield player when it came to the technical stuff but if you actually look at our promotion season one of the reasons alex russell and jason fowler were able to be so creative is because of hockers, he did alot of dirty work and kept it simple and gave it to the likes of fowler and russell to hurt the opposition as that was his job, he has over 300 apperances for the gulls with several different managers so on that one you are wrong.

Chris Curran was our captain for about 18 months and was not the worst defender in the world he weighed in with his share of goals too.

Duanne Darby I like this inclusion as I thought when he played for us he was a very good finisher and he has proved that over the years with all the clubs he played for, and remember how much we got for Darren Moore+Duanne Darby when we sold them to doncaster I think it was something like £60000 total for them both, sickner.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Does everybody really think that Kevin Hill was better than Wayne Carlisle?

Hill was great dont get me wrong, but I always thought that Carlisle was better. Shame injury screwed him up really.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

scottbrehaut wrote:Does everybody really think that Kevin Hill was better than Wayne Carlisle?

Hill was great dont get me wrong, but I always thought that Carlisle was better. Shame injury screwed him up really.
Wayne was great but I still have doubts about his quality in L2, just a touch too slow (theres no doubt about his crossing ability). The thing with Hill is that there really are no other left wingers to choose from for most fans. It's always been a problem for us, never really had a proper left winger.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
A J
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by A J »

cambgull wrote:It's always been a problem for us, never really had a proper left winger.
Thats why in my team, I stuck Steve McCall out on the left side of midfield, and let his magic boot make the pass while Gibbo did the running on the overlap. I couldnt leave out McCall, Fowler, Hargreaves or Russell from my team, it does limit the width, but thats why I have Gibbs and Gurney at full-back. I know he was Torquay through and through, but I thought Hilly was a bit over-rated (sorry to all Kevin lovers) :Oops:
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

uberwozza wrote:Caldwell

Caldwell
Caldwell
Caldwell

Caldwell
Caldwell
Caldwell
Caldwell

Caldwell
Caldwell
Caldwell
When Torquay played Coventry in the cup Caldwell tore the sky blues apart. The Sun the next day gave him man of the match and asked what he was doing at Torquay. We were robbed in that game. Cyril frickin Regis.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

no mention of the dude??!!
still keeping the faith
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Bigman »

cambgull wrote:It's always been a problem for us, never really had a proper left winger.
I struggled to think of a great right winger too to be honest. I suppose in the early days of my supporting life we played with wingbacks so I should've picked a team based on that, but then I have to think of another centre back and midfielder, and as gifted as Fowler was he was always injured.
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

Being captain doesn't mean Curran was any good. I don't think i saw the guy win a header.

Hockley was overweight, and although he did tackling as you said, and he never stopped tying to. His lack of fitness meant there was a very small 'zone of terror' he inflicted. Couldn't shoot, cross or switch play. He played so much, purely because we went through a phase of thinking we had an abundance of talent coming through our youth system, which wasn't true.

Darby and moore would probably get us double the fee they did if we had them now, but with inflation, that's not actualy that much more. But 5 years ago, yup, we'd have been skipping to the bank. (we have a bank right?)

On another point, what ever happened to a youngster we had - Bond i think he was called. Kain bond? Didn't plymouth nick him as the next big thing? Never heard of him since. Prob 7 years ago.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kain_Bond" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like it never happened for him, shame really, it was a name that was banded about quite a bit but never really came to much.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Popside_Josh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Popside_Josh »

quite a recnt team really cant rmemeber too far in past :L

GK: Van hesuden

RB: Mansell
CB: Woods
CB: Branston
LB: McGlinchey

RM: Zebroski
CM: Russell
CM: Hargreaves
LM: Hill

ST: Jamie Ward
ST: Graham
uberwozza
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: caldwell

Post by uberwozza »

usagullmichigan wrote: When Torquay played Coventry in the cup Caldwell tore the sky blues apart. The Sun the next day gave him man of the match and asked what he was doing at Torquay. We were robbed in that game. Cyril frickin Regis.

He was indeed immense that day - think he hit the bar from memory with an overhead kick from 30 yards - but my memory may have embelished that a little over the years

Also enjoyed his diving header in front of the away end at Bristol City in the previous round from a Mark Loram wonder cross

Favourite memory is seeing him punch himself in the face Swansea away in playoff final trying to get a penalty - they should have written a book and made a film about the great man