PSF: Torquay United vs Bristol City

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

2-0, Howe
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Chris B wrote:1-0, Atieno. Nice finish from an Ellis head down.
We can all say what we like about Atieno, but as a triallist you can't ask for any more than 2 goals in 90mins of football.

Fair enough one was a penalty against Tivvy, but by all accounts it was an bright and energetic performance. A goal against a strong BCFC side is more of an impact than more high profile names will make on trial at other clubs.
blueboy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by blueboy »

Well done guys, great result! You've got to be optimistic after that.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

blueboy wrote:Well done guys, great result! You've got to be optimistic after that.
Yes - unexpected but very welcome result!

Much more confident now than I was after the Tiverton game!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Rich, neither game or result is worth getting carried away over. Training sessions and nothing more, but I'm sure plenty of pointers from both games for Martin Ling.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Southampton Gull wrote:Rich, neither game or result is worth getting carried away over. Training sessions and nothing more, but I'm sure plenty of pointers from both games for Martin Ling.
The fact we did not get overun is the encouraging thing. I thought we might get beaten soundly today and encouraged we did not. I realise it is all about fitness at this stage but winning against higher opposition (friendly or not) can only be good for cofidence and morale.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
tommygull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by tommygull »

Good to see KV enjoying the match day programme!!

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 73,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:( Tommy :)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

A good result if a meaningless one. However it looks to me that we will sign Atieno who looked the pick of the players at Tiverton. He is a better player than the likes of Mcphee,Stevens and Macklin. Also good to see Howe get off the mark.
Warwickgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: HOWE

Post by Warwickgull »

We played against a very strong line up today. I watched a Bristol side including many of these players batter Coventry City towards the end of last season 4-1 at cov, so even though this was only a friendly it is a big plus at this stage in my book. The best thing is with our second half line up of mostly kids and our new star keeper, im sure most of us would have expected Bristol to rally, but they went another goal down.

If this left sided player signs as rumoured on the other thread this will have been a great weekend for Ling and his squad.

:~D :~D :clap: :clap: :scarf: :scarf:
Everybody has a photographic memory, some people just dont have film.
Warwickgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: HOWE

Post by Warwickgull »

brucie wrote:A good result if a meaningless one. However it looks to me that we will sign Atieno who looked the pick of the players at Tiverton. He is a better player than the likes of Mcphee,Stevens and Macklin. Also good to see Howe get off the mark.
Well done Brucie thats teetering on the edge of positive :na:
Everybody has a photographic memory, some people just dont have film.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

LOL almost brucie, it was ALMOST a positive happy post but not quite. Good result....meaningless...:( Atieno looked good.....dig at the others. :(

Still I think that's as good as it's gonna get.

Like Warwick says, and like brucie mentioned we LOST the 2nd half at Tiverton, well we WON both halves against a side far superior to ours, especially 2nd half which was a real backup/youth selection.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

tommygull wrote:Good to see KV enjoying the match day programme!!

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 73,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who is the bloke on the right of Damien Davey?
Kinky John Fowler
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Kinky John Fowler »

Well done today lads!

I couldnt make it in the end, my wife isnt too well so me going off on a jolly to the seaside wouldnt have been too wise. It looks like we put out a strong side so this result should bode well for you, friendly or not you've got to beat what's put in front of you and most of those City players will be lining up in the Championship next month.

Im a tiny bit gutted because obviously I want to see City win every game we play even when there are no points at stake however, on the other side of the coin, I hope this result today combined with more 'friendly' wins will give TUFC confidence for the new season and hopefully see you make a strong start to the new campaign. We obviously have a lot of work still to do. Still, on the plus side, I think you beat us 3-0 last year so I suppose we have progressed :rules:

Fair play to you, Cheers guys (D)

KJF :-D
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes it was a friendly,however i do not have words to express my delight at our first half performance,the passing and movement was as good as i have seen almost total football,what a breath of fresh air to see the shackle's taken off our team,our team playing with freedom and expressing themselves.

If this is the entertainment we are going to be treated to,watch the fan's come flooding back thank you Lingy,and after watching that,Buckle as far as i am concerned can go and commit unthinkable sexual act's on Dolly the sheep.

McPhee i thought had a good 45 mins,nice to see Stevens running at defenders positivly and with confidence again,have to admit not much end product,however if he carries on like that it will come,the trialist who's name i cant spell ,yes please,and its was nice to see that tub of lard that wont score many,hit the back of the net with a shot that almost killed David James.

I know its early doors,but on showing,relegation fodder...NO CHANCE.COYY :clap:
Formerly known as forevertufc
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Just got back. Biggest positives for me were Oastler's assured performance at right-back and Atieno's contribution. First half we lined up:

--------------Bobby----------------

Oastler--Robbo--Ellis--Nicholson

McPhee--Manse--Lathrope--Stevens

---------Kee--------Atieno-----------

Solid side to start the game and we more than matched Bristol City for the first half. We were very calm and composed in possession and played some attractive football. Took the lead when Ellis headed a deep Nico corner into the mixer where Atieno reacted quickest to stab us in front. Our two other chances both came through Stevens who cut in from the left and drilled one shot over from 20 yards, before lifting a deft chip over an advanced James after being played in down the right channel, only for the ball to drop the wrong side of the post. City had one shot cleared off the line from Oastler, and another well smothered by Bobby after a mistake from Ellis. They were the only times they threatened.

Bobby didn't have much to do but claimed a couple of crosses comfortably and his kicking was good. Robbo and Nico were reliable as usual. Ellis was our most aggressive defender, but also probably our weakest. One poor pass led to a decent chance as mentioned above. Oastler looks a natural right-back. He gets forward well and is useful in possession. A lot of our attacks started from Bobby playing the ball short to Oastler. Mansell and Lathrope were very tidy in midfield, passed the ball well from side to side. Lathrope is very under-rated. McPhee began brightly, sending in some dangerous crosses from the right but he faded as the half wore on. Stevens was lively and played like he has a point to prove. Atieno was a handful, very much in the Zebs mould. In fact, his display was identical to his predecessor. If you didn't know Zebs had been shipped to Rovers and forgot your glasses, you wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. Kee played slightly deeper, held the ball up well and linked up play but he didn't look like scoring.

Second half line-up was:

--------------Rice----------------

Leadbitter--Saah--Palmer--LRT

Macklin--Kudi--O'Kane--Yeoman

---------Spear--------Howe------

A very youthful and inexperienced side but they equipped themselves well. Our first genuine chance was tucked away by Howe who collected Spear's cutback, rolled his marker and then fired in a shot which was fumbled in by Calamity James. The former England No.1 did make amends later in the half to keep out efforts from Spear and Howe who both should have probably scored when presented with chances inside the box. Rice was far busier than Bobby and made three very good saves. The only time he was beaten saw a scampering Saah slide across to make a wonderful goal-line clearance. It wasn't a 1-0 half. City should have taken advantage of our line-up, but we digged in to secure an impressive result.

Rice's shot-stopping was excellent, although if being picky, his distribution was a little off. Leadbitter is very attacking. Looked strong defensively as well. We have strength in that department at long last. Saah was very dominating and has a real presence about him. Palmer was turned a couple of times, but otherwise looks like he might be able to step up if we have a defensive crisis. LRT looks better each time I watch him, although he didn't cross the halfway line too often. O'Kane was in charge of a very inexperienced midfield. Very mature head on his shoulders considering he's just turned 21. He was busy as you'd expect and tried to make things happen. Alongside him was Kudi who didn't look out of place as a defensive midfielder. Yeoman appeared a little uncomfortable out of position on the left but looks a much bigger and stronger player. Macklin drifted in and out of the half but went on a couple of promising runs. Spear is very scrawny and hasn't got much physical strength. But he has only just turned pro and shouldn't really be expected to perform for at least another year. Regular reserve team football and maybe a local loan move will serve him and us well. Howe is a unit. Probably in between Kee and Akinfenwa. Scored and went close to grabbing a second but he needs to be put on a strict diet.

Attendance of just over 1,500, nearly 300 visiting fans. Feel much more positive after watching that. The first-half team played well and that was without O'Kane and Saah.