BR Fans and Buckle

General chat about anything else goes here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Nice of you to put in an appearance, Rex, most of your comrades have been conspicuous by their absence of late.

We did try to warn you guys what he was like, for most (not all) he was hard to take at times, the thing I disliked about him most was how many players would be played out of position, really ridiculous at times. I wish you luck, post Buckle of course, until he gets shafted I hope you lose every game ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
gasrex
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by gasrex »

Southampton Gull wrote:Nice of you to put in an appearance, Rex, most of your comrades have been conspicuous by their absence of late.

We did try to warn you guys what he was like, for most (not all) he was hard to take at times, the thing I disliked about him most was how many players would be played out of position, really ridiculous at times. I wish you luck, post Buckle of course, until he gets shafted I hope you lose every game ;-)
So is that a no to having him back then?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes ;-)
Dave

gasrex
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by gasrex »

Southampton Gull wrote:I'd rather stick needles in my eyes ;-)

I'll put you down as a 'maybe' then.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Haha !!

I take it you're firmly in the "Get Rid" camp then?
Dave

blueboy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by blueboy »

Southampton Gull wrote:Nice of you to put in an appearance, Rex, most of your comrades have been conspicuous by their absence of late.

You did warn us Dave and everything you've said from falling out with players, blaming people and playing out of position have all come true. I was willing to support the guy but he's really lost me now and alienated the majority of the fan base quicker than any other manager in my 18 years supporting the gas.

At least we can all share a laugh and joke about the special one now.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I like this GasRex, can we keep him, he's funny.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

ferrarilover wrote:I like this GasRex, can we keep him, he's funny.

Matt.
Seconded. GasRex stays.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15478795.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just never think it looks good when a manager has to come out and explain why he did certain things with the team.

Also, notice how he takes credit for Muzzy's performance. After the reporter said he played well Buckle feels the need to tell everyone that was his signing!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I think we should all be reminded that Paul Buckle is actually not a bad manager. Not perfect, as we know, nobody is, but compared with many lower league managers he has a very decent track record.

The main problem with Bristol Rovers right now is not Paul Buckle, nor the usual problems of club finances and gate sizes, but the Rovers fans themselves. Don't get me wrong. They are, like genuine football fans around the country, a fine bunch, as has already been stated, (and they have the Blackthorn!) but, as well as having an unrealistic over-ambitious view of Rovers being a big club, they seem to suffer from a bi-polar short-termism, swinging from optimistic elation after a victory, to doom-laden depression after a defeat. I have to admit, as a Gulls supporter, I suffer a bit that way myself!

Perhaps they, and us at Plainmoor, should take a long-term view, and remember that Rome wasn't built in a day.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Buckles start with us wasnt great, then it picked up and did well with us. I still think its to early to call off his chances of doing well just yet.
The guy has his faults but then so does every other manager.

Im one who wants to see rovers lose because of Buckle (sorry blueboy and gasrex) if he left then id wish rovers luck every week again.

The pressures of our club and theres are different, they expect to win the league where as we like to if it was possible. Maybe their over ambitious i dont know but hey ho thats football.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

I think we've finally found a club that is more ambitious than Mr Buckle himself?
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Fairplay to Rex and blueboy for coming back on here - it is true we haven't seen friendlygas for a while now.

I'm the same as Brett - while Buckle's in charge, I hope you lose each week, if/when you get rid of him, I wouldn't want that - as ultimately at the end of the day, it's another local club to play against.
gasrex
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by gasrex »

I'm not sure getting rid of Buckle would be the right thing to do at the moment, we cannot go on sacking managers and bringing in entire new squads.
I didn't want or like him from day one, purely on a personal level, I thought he came across as a bit of a smarmy git. However, after the Wimbledon game I may have allowed myself to get carried away with all the pre season hype, especially the promise of attacking football, something we have not seen here for a while.
I have been to all the home games, and most of the away (just ticking off new grounds really, rather than being some sort of uber fan), and I have only seen us 'go for it' in 3 or 4 matches.I even left Burton early last week. We were only one goal behind, and there was 8 minutes left, but I was bored shitless, went for a piss, saw the exit and thought I might as well walk back to the car.
Buckle was quoted as saying fans should 'lower their expectations', and he has come in for huge amounts of stick over this ( Even a terrace chant by me to the tune of 'Alloutte' which is just 'Expectations, lower expectations' ad infinitum. However, I do think there is an element of truth in what he says. For a few seasons now- and I don't think internet forums help on this score- I have seen big over reactions to every win or defeat. As a club we have to start getting a perspective of what we are capable of, initially in the short term. Being in a big city with a large population does not make us a big club, though there is obvious potential to be doing much better than we are. There is something rotten at Rovers at the moment, but Buckle is not entirely to blame.
I have seen most of the 'top' teams in this division, and noone stands out- even Crawley, who dicked us, didn't look that special to me- so bizarre as it sounds, I do think is is feasible(though I personally don't think we will) that we could still get near the play offs (as most teams could), so I do think we have to stick with Buckle till the end of the season- though admitttedly I won't be crying in my beer if they do get rid of him.
Oh, and I do still think he comes across as a smarmy, cocky little ****.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

A VERY good and well-balanced post gasrex. I don't think you should ditch him now either, in spite of what some people say on here i still do believe he is quite a good manager, as he did almost lead us (a relatively small club) to double promotions in 3 seasons. Despite his success with us i wouldn't say the fans ever truly took to him, i first thought this was due to his Exeter City background but i think it's more because he's always had a bit of a smarmy, cocky little t**t. However, i think if you stick by him you should get to at least the playoffs...