Bid for Benyon rejected!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

He might be offered a new contract but would he sign it knowing other clubs are interested in him ?
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Dagenham. Whats the point? Like Torquay have always been and always will be a small club and arguably smaller than us.

Very likely we'll be playing them again next season.

Wrong move but he will go at some point and good luck to him.
TUST #324
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

In all likelyhood Paul Buckle will have been talking to the Benyon camp about a new contract already,however i tend to agree with dutchgull here,Benyon may look at this time in his career,as the right time to move on,he is a young player who will have ambition to play at a higher level.

That said dagenham would be totaly the wrong move for Benyon,in relative terms they are no bigger club than ourselves,and by no means a secure league 1 club,in fact i fully expect Dagenham to be relegated back to league 2 next season regardless of who they bring in.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Pass-and-Move
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Eunan O'kane

Post by Pass-and-Move »

Was it not just before this season started, that we were told that we would have limited money to spend and that frugality would reign for a while. Since then we have rejected bids for both Ellis and now Benyon. Does this represent a step in the right direction?
HardofHerringGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by HardofHerringGull »

Pass-and-Move wrote:Was it not just before this season started, that we were told that we would have limited money to spend and that frugality would reign for a while. Since then we have rejected bids for both Ellis and now Benyon. Does this represent a step in the right direction?

It would of course depend on what those "Bids" were though wouldn't it!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

wurzel wrote:
It would of course depend on what those "Bids" were though wouldn't it!

Obviously not enough to be accepted ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

Wouldnt MK Dons or Bristol Rovers be more realistic, teams that have a chance of staying in League 1 or going up a league. I swear MK put in a bid for him last season, anyway, if Elliot does go, Buckle gives Kee a good run in the first team hopefully. But if Ellis and Benyon go, its bye bye play-offs. Hello £!
Helen Frisby
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston (pickler)

Post by Helen Frisby »

Good, lets hang on to this "assett" - his price will improve!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

This is an area of the game we must get right if we're going to reach our potential over the coming years. If you look at the sides that are right at the top of where they could realistically be, such as Dagenham, Exeter, Rochdale, Scunthorpe, it's been achieved by bringing through great young players - and selling them at the right time, for the best price.

With the group of players we have at the club now, in particular Benyon, O'Kane, Ellis, and possibly including Zebroski and Kee, we have the nucleus of a very exciting young squad that could get us into League One, and generate the money to keep us going. We aren't going to get the biggest crowds in the league, but we can still match and out-perform bigger sides if we make the right decisions with our strategy.

If Benyon goes at the end of the season at a tribunal then it would be very hard for us to plan for our future. We won't know if he's leaving till the last minute, and we won't know the fee until into next season. You only have to look up the road to see how they handled the exits of Mackie, Moxey, Seaborne and Friend in the last three years to see what we need to do. Let the player go at the right time, and use the money to fund the next wave of players. That's the only way we're going to sustain ourselves in League One.

Carayol left at a bad time for us, we turned down offers for Wroe last season and now his value is way down, and Benyon is nearing the end of his contract. If we can sort out Benyon, then we have Ellis and O'Kane on longer contracts, and it was good to see the club tie Macklin down to a longer deal if they think he has potential to progress into a first team regular.

The future looks bright for us if we can maximise the return we get for the hard work we're doing at the moment bringing some great youngsters through.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

This was taken from today's herald:

'United are certainly looking for a lot more than £20,000 for Benyon.

I understand that, whichever club moved for him, the offer was cash plus a player in part-exchange.

The Daggers have never spent the sort of money that United would be looking for, thought to be at least £60,000-£70,000, plus roll-on clauses.'

Surely he's worth more than that??
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Anything less than six figures and I'd be disappointed personally.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

How do define what a players value really is ?,you can look at number of first team appearances,the strenghts of his all round game,what he may develop into,however at the end of day like anything else,Benyon's value will come down to what a buying club will pay,if that not acceptable to Tufc,and benners decides to move on then it will come down to a tribunal.

My honest opinion is that benners is not and will never develop into a championship class striker,yep the lad can score goals there is no doubt,however you need so much more to your all round game than that,to me he is likely to go to score goals in league 1,this is where the problem may lie,there are not many,if any league 1 clubs with 100k to splash out on a player,and if they have there more likely to go for a player with a proven track record for that sort of money rather than a maybe like benners.

Therefore most league 1 clubs who maybe intrested in benners are going to try and get for as least in terms of money as possible,I think 60k plus sell on,or maybe a player in px is about as good as it may get.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on which way you look at it), with his contract expiring in the summer, we're very unlikely to recieve a 6-figure offer at this stage.

But if we don't, it would be worth our while holding out for a tribunal in the summer. If Elliot continues to find the net at his current rate, he'll finish the season around the 20-goal mark, and any tribunal would have to look at that positively (from our perspective).

Who knows, if he scores the goals that take us up, we might be able to persaude him to stay at that stage...
Last edited by Fonda on 22 Nov 2010, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

To determine a true strikers value it comes down to goals from appearances and their age...all of this is with benyon at the moment but as said he is out of contract soon so that will have an effect.

If someone offered 100k I'm sure we'll accept.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

It does seem that a club has today bid a *SIX* figure sum and I can now see him going.

Trouble is- who will score the goals? Will zebroski go up top? Is this kee's chance to prove himself or are we going to loan someone in?

One of these has to happen otherwise I can't see us scoring!!

Edit: Good spot* :bow:

:goal:
Last edited by Yellow4life on 23 Nov 2010, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.