Goals from outside the box...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Goals from outside the box...

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Saw the Stockport goal just now on GP - ouch ouch and treble ouch :Oops:

Any guesses as to how many out of the 19 goals conceded in league to date have been from outside the box?

I will trawl though the Gull Player archives to check this out, but it sure feels like we are getting hurt too often with goals from outside the box...
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I think it's definitely a weakness in Bevan's game, but at 6' 7 it's just a fact of nature. What you lose in getting down quickly, you make up for in aerial command. I'll admit I had some thoughts in pre-season that we'd really miss Poke, but Scott has been fantastic so far this season and is a big part of the reason why we're right up there in the play-offs.

For what it's worth, looking quickly at a fixture list, I'd say about half the goals we've conceeded have been 'pretty special'. Which does seem quite high, but it's probably just a coincidence that a lot have come together at once.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

All it takes is for an opposition manager to tell his lads to have a pop from outside the box... That said, he's fought to get himself fit for this club and you really feel his presence.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I wouldn't blame Bevan for those 'special goals. There will also be plenty of specultive shots from outside the box that fly over the bar. If there is a problem it is not closing the opposition down when they're in range.
TUST number 080
A J
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by A J »

Conceding long range efforts and us hitting the woodwork! It seems to be the common theme this season

Yes, Bevan struggles to get down for low shots, like the one Bencherif hit for Macclesfield, but he has also struggled for the high ones (a couple at Southend?) - so maybe its not all him? Midfielders needing to close down for instance could be another cause?