will 84 points really be enough??

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

I was just minded to look up the table when we last got automatic promo in 2004.

81 pts did the job, albeit on goal difference from Huddersfield. God bless Shane Duff.

Hull and Doncaster accompanied us onwards to the promised land. They obviously fared better than us. Left behind were Swansea City and Boston Utd in 10th and 11th places respectively and who’s fortunes have diverged somewhat to say the least.

Funny old game football.....
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Todays results showed that 84 points will be enough, you can look at Crawley and Shrewsbury's run in and say that looks easy, as we all know at this stage of the season no game is easy, all the teams at the top will drop points against sides you would not expect them to.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

yellow wrote:I was just minded to look up the table when we last got automatic promo in 2004.

81 pts did the job, albeit on goal difference from Huddersfield. God bless Shane Duff.

Hull and Doncaster accompanied us onwards to the promised land. They obviously fared better than us. Left behind were Swansea City and Boston Utd in 10th and 11th places respectively and who’s fortunes have diverged somewhat to say the least.

Funny old game football.....
Jesus, you aren't joking. One place between them 8 seasons ago, now a matter of 5 divisions. One in the top division on Earth, one playing amateur football against the Dog and Duck in front of half a dozen people. Let's hope Fatty Evans has the same effect with his current team...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Tq2Yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek Dawkins

Post by Tq2Yellow »

I'm going to sound like the ultimate pessimist, but I don't think 84 pts will be enough, I think we'll have to win 5 of our last 6 games BUT I can see no reason why we can't win 5 of the games - win ugly, to be honest, 3 pts at this time of the season is all that matters and I don't care if we score a goal rebounded off someone's arse as long as we win!
:keepie: :goal: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Bearne1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Zebra

Post by Bearne1 »

I think 85 will be the end result, a further 3 wins and 1 draw with a buffer of 2 defeats, could be completely wrong mind as anything could happen!
okeygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by okeygull »

I think it may take 87 points. But there will be a few surprises on the way no doubt. I feel 84 points is too short. 87 would allow us one slip up. Our goal difference is inferior which is as good as a point at this stage of the season. Im confident we can get the points . COYY !
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

forevertufc wrote:Todays results showed that 84 points will be enough, you can look at Crawley and Shrewsbury's run in and say that looks easy, as we all know at this stage of the season no game is easy, all the teams at the top will drop points against sides you would not expect them to.
Thought the same myself a few weeks ago but if you look at the run in Shrews and Crawley have, they both have more games than us against teams fighting for their lives. We always seem to raise our game against higher placed teams more than we do against lower placed ones. So consequently I would rather have our run in now.

I hope it goes down to the the last game (although I hate going to edgar street) for if we have secured promotion by then and it's between Hereford and Argyle for the drop I would hate to be faced with the decision as to what team I want to win. ;-)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I'd rather us play two local derbies with Argyle the season after next than make a long trip to an away game up country..
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I'm hoping after we've played Stanley, we kick-off at Oxford with "79 pts".
;-)

Note : On the condition we've finished the Stanley match with 78pts, as soon as the whistle goes for the start of the Oxford match we'll be on "79 pts".

The object of the exercise then, will be to keep it nil and like at Barnet, bury our one and only shot on target and turn the point we started the match with into 3 points.

Easter games are defining moments, maximum points for us over Easter will double the pressure on the chasing pack.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

st martin got this spot on, unfortunately it was crawley who got to the magic figure as we all know

i'm really happy that hes our manager, so calm and down to earth, thanks for a great season mr ling, fingers crossed for the playoffs
still keeping the faith
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

Interesting to see Leroy's 3rd place side of 2003/04 finished with an identical record to this season's: P46 W23 D12 L11 81Pts.

Here's hoping the promotion-winning performances against Cheltenham and Southend in 2004 will be replicated over the next three weeks…