Byron Anthony?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Byron Anthony?

Post by Plymouth Gull »

So according to Roadrunner, we're going to sign an experienced centre half this week. Someone whos played over 100 games at league level.

I will say I saw this on that Football Rumours site so it could/probably is nonsense, but it does seem a feasible one. Released by Brizzle Rovers at the end of last season, after 6 years there.

What do we reckon? Part of me hopes this is rubbish as someone released from a side finishing in the bottom half of the table last year suggests he wasn't good enough for them..

Hmm.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

NickGull wrote:So according to Roadrunner, we're going to sign an experienced centre half this week. Someone whos played over 100 games at league level.

I will say I saw this on that Football Rumours site so it could/probably is nonsense, but it does seem a feasible one. Released by Brizzle Rovers at the end of last season, after 6 years there.

What do we reckon? Part of me hopes this is rubbish as someone released from a side finishing in the bottom half of the table last year suggests he wasn't good enough for them..

Hmm.
I think it could be a decent signing. Could do alot worse than him. Solid enough defender and he can chip in with the odd goal aswell.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

He was good enough to play in the Rovers team that finished 11th in league 1 season before they went down, as we know player are not allways released becuase of a lack of ability, and where a side finished in their respective league does not allways mean every player was poor.

Do know much about byron Anthony to be honest, maybe some of our Rovers friends can help us with some info, about the player or whether they have heard anything at their end over this rumour.
Formerly known as forevertufc
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I don't think he'll be too bad a signing at all. He's the type that doesn't excel at any one area, but does reasonably well at all. I prefer someone like that because it takes someone with a speciality to beat them. I remember thinking he has decent pace too, as fast as Ellis I'd say anyway.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

True, Dave. I'm probably being a bit OTT with what I've said there - just the fact he was farmed out to Hereford at the end of the season (and the fact their fans didn't seem to rate him that highly if I remember rightly) concerns me a little.

Still, I've no reason to doubt Lingy so if it happens I won't complain.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Byron is a no nonsense defender who got into the Welsh under 21 team. he progressed from Cardiffs Youth set up but was released by them having played just one League Cup game.
Lennie Lawrence spotted him and he signed for Rovers after Cardiff released him in 2006. He scored a goal on his Rovers debut but he is not known for scoring goals. He then helped Rovers in gaining promotion at Wembley against Shrewsbury in 2007. I know cos I wuz there! He was an ever present that season.
Some Rovers fans nicknamed him Lord Byron of Anthony. some Just Lord Byron. but the majority just called him Byron..
I think he still has it in him and if anyone can bring it out in him it's Dinger. Although I have my doubts that he is coming, but if it's true I have no problems in him coming here. He will add steel to our defence. In my view he was better than Ellis or Robertson on his day and if he get's consistancy back he will be great for us.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Scored against us at the Mem last year didn't he?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

You were right to post those concerns Nick, you do have to ask yourself why Byron Anthony fell out of favour with Rovers and was loaned out to Hereford before his release.

As said its not allways down to the player or his ability, I trust Lingy, so if he sign him, I would be happy.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

NickGull wrote:Scored against us at the Mem last year didn't he?
Scored against us several times in the past. He also got the late winner against us in the JPT a few years ago now aswell.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

This was a name I mentioned on another thread, as after trawling through the PFA transfer list there is a distinct lack of 100+ games Centre halves who you could visualise at TUFC.

On paper Anthony would make sense. Always been a West/West Country based player (Cardiff, Forest Green, Brizzle, Hereford), played the requisite number of games and of a good age. However, from what I've seen of him he's not in the same calibre as Ellis. I appreciate that Glostergull will have seen far more of Anthony than I have, but it seems to me that Anthony is just one of those players who whenever I read a BRFC match report, or paid attention to other games on the Football League show, he had a shocker.

I remember that BRFC weren't particularly tight at the back at their place back in August, although Anthony did weigh in with a goal and looked better than Virgo I think it was at Centre half. But I clearly remember Anthony less than impressing against us for Hereford on the final day. Sure, we lost, but how we didn't score a hatful in the first half god only knows. I've never seen us cause so much danger from corners in one half of football, and my mate text me during the first half to say that Iain Dowie had been describing Anthony as "giving the ball away for fun".

I'd be less than enthused with this signing, but then there isn't much else out there that fits the bill. And to be fair, 100odd appearances at League 1 suggests that there is more to him than I have seen.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

I'd be surprised and disappointed if Byron Anthony is on his way to Plainmoor. Following Ellis' departure Ling stated he realised what he needed to compliment Saah's composed, ball-playing approach: a 'dominant' centre-back 'who can really head the ball'. Anthony may meet the requirements of being available and having played 100+ Football League games, but I certainly don't think he's known for being dominant, aerially or otherwise.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Still hoping its Adam Lockwood but live in hope more than expectation!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Me too Rich! He'd slipped my mind actually but Lockwood would be excellent. Think he'll end up in L1 though.
blueboy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by blueboy »

On the face of it it's a possibility but if Ling is looking for a solid defender to compliment Saah and win headers Byron isn't the man. He can be brilliant on his day but as others have put can switch off and prone to making mistakes. He went downhill at the gas when Steve Elliott was let go.

I'd be surprised if Ling decided to go for him. I thought he might end up at Exeter.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I'm pretty sure we tried to sign Byron Anthony on loan when he was at Cardiff. I think Ian Atkins was manager and Roberts blocked the move. I'm sure it was this player but I could be wrong.