Honest Lingy

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Honest Lingy

Post by lucy6lucy »

The BBC Sport Torquay site has a great report on Martins reaction to last nights defeat. He has basically slated the whole team(only 3/4 players performed), and those missing through injury/internationals should thank themselves lucky. It is this kind of reaction I admire him for. He says it how it is, not what PB would have said. On this basis do we think we will see a different line up on Saturday?, or is it a wake up call for those playing last night? Martin has also not ruled out Mackin or Stevens for Saturday.
Lucy
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Not read it, but if this is as accurate synopsis, I think it's a bit tough on the boys. We were well beaten by a side miles better than us. At times, we played some excellent football.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Yeah i agree with Matt, tuesday night was a freak. It's the first competetive game against a quality side and we are still finding our feet. If we ship 4 at fleetwood i might be alarmed but i'm not about tuesday. Let's just forget about it and move on.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

I think what Lucy's saying that at least our current boss calls it as he sees it. It's also encouraging that he clearly feels as if our team at full strength could have pulled off an upset against a Championship outfit.

Our last boss would have blamed the boxes for being 'too square'.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

stevegull wrote:I think what Lucy's saying that at least our current boss calls it as he sees it. It's also encouraging that he clearly feels as if our team at full strength could have pulled off an upset against a Championship outfit.

Thankyou ' stevegull'

If in doubt of my post visit the BBC Website for League 2...Martin is not a happy bunny and this bodes well for Saturday inmy opinion
Lucy
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

I didn't mean to suggest that what Juicy Lucy had said was wrong, indeed it is perfectly correct. My gripe is with Dinger for bashing the performance levels in a game where they were impossible to judge. He might as well have proclaimed them all heroes after the RM friendly for having won so well.

Fleetwood is the benchmark.

Matt.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Maybe he thinks/knows that the players that he put out last night were/are better than they were/are, hence the slating.

I see it as a good thing. If he truly is disappointed at the performance, if not the result, then he obviously has seen/is seeing things in training/the PSF's that made him expect more than he got last night.

If that's the case - bring on Fleetwood!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

I don't see how he can be genuinely disappointed at the performance though. Leicester were FAR too good for us, through no fault of our own. It wasn't that we played badly, we passed it nicely enough, we defended fairly resolutely (aside from a couple of errors which were clinically punished by Leicester's £20,000,000 squad). Going forward, we forced Schmeichel into a decent save from the Mansell header, it was only a Championship quality piece of defending (funny old thing) that prevented us taking the lead through Morris and perhaps Rene could have fired off his shot a little earlier than he did on a couple of occasions, but all round, we didn't do ourselves a disservice.
If we pass the ball like we did at times (particularly in the first half), and we bring back those who were missing, Fleetwood (and others, with absolutely no disrespect intended to any lurking Fleepwoodians) will be in for a right hiding.

Matt.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

ferrarilover wrote:I don't see how he can be genuinely disappointed at the performance though. Leicester were FAR too good for us, through no fault of our own. It wasn't that we played badly, we passed it nicely enough, we defended fairly resolutely (aside from a couple of errors which were clinically punished by Leicester's £20,000,000 squad). Going forward, we forced Schmeichel into a decent save from the Mansell header, it was only a Championship quality piece of defending (funny old thing) that prevented us taking the lead through Morris and perhaps Rene could have fired off his shot a little earlier than he did on a couple of occasions, but all round, we didn't do ourselves a disservice.
If we pass the ball like we did at times (particularly in the first half), and we bring back those who were missing, Fleetwood (and others, with absolutely no disrespect intended to any lurking Fleepwoodians) will be in for a right hiding.

Matt.
I think those are exactly the points Dinger has a problem with. When you face "better" opposition you need to be on your best form and some of our players were not.
The OS has a little more detail on his comments, http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 13271.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I read it, DInger is not surprised or unhappy at the result, more the performance by some individuals that led to the final score.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Anyone who has read my posts about the Leicester game will see that I came out as a fan and defended the team and rightly so, to me Leicester are a team that has been put together for promotion to the premier league, and had a number of players on show with premier league experience, and it showed.

Leicester were head and shoulders above us in all departments and apart from 20 minutes in the first half Leicester totaly dominated, when you get into those situations thats when unforced errors and a bit of panic can set in, and for us thats excatly what happened , also in the later stages think our team has tired legs , no surprise after being pulled left and right for 90 minutes, so I think the team being totaly slammed for thier performance would be harsh and over the top.

That said could the team have done better and got closer, yes they could a few areas of our play were dissappointing and I think thats the right word to describe things, I have already posted on the macth thread that I firmly believe that 2 of the 3 goals conceeded in open play were poor and any run of the mill league 2 side doing it's job could have stopped them.

The other critism I have is how many times after a missplaced pass in thier final third did we see our players stood around berating each other while Leicester picked up the ball and just poored forward, mistakes will happen more so when your under such pressure, if play breaks down thats the time to switch on and drop back in, you can have the inquest after the final whistle.

Yes some elements were dissappointing, the result and performance entirely understandable, therefore I think a bit of lid needs to be kept on any critism against the team.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

stevegull wrote:I think what Lucy's saying that at least our current boss calls it as he sees it. It's also encouraging that he clearly feels as if our team at full strength could have pulled off an upset against a Championship outfit.

No thier not. Thier round !

By the way Matt. whats a Fleepwoodian.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Glostergull wrote: No thier not. Thier round !

By the way Matt. whats a Fleepwoodian.
*tumbleweed*
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Sexy_Gulls
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Sexy_Gulls »

It's not Ling's job to defend the team, its his job to motivate them. As a fan I can except a heavy defeat to a team 2 divisions above us, but the manager should not. I'm glad that Ling doesn't see the game as a one off that doesn't matter as that's a dangerous mentality to foster in a football team. It is right to give the players a kick up the arse in preparation for Fleetwood, especially as the other option is to say that the Leciester game is irrelevant because it was a hard one. Well Saturday will be tough, so I guess we shouldn't bother for that either.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

There's a different between tough and unwinnable, but I see what you mean.

Matt.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Ferrarilover - you are delluded completely. Yes they were too good for us. Luckily though we did not lose 10-0 which realistically could have been the final scoreline. Did Exeter get hammered by a championship side? no they didn't.
Far from playing good football we looked in complete disarray from start to finish. Throw in a couple of gift goals and it really was a worrying start.
Granted we have Stevens and Bodin to come back in but we look worryingly thin all over the park. Our three best players look a gigantic miss from last season. The two aforementioned players are not going to plug the gaps.
Against Leicester we ended up with a centre half playing left wing. A western league player in Yeoman and a winger who was out of his depth.
As for Easton? - he is a pub player. Possibly the worst player I have ever seen. No pace throughout the team. No creativity in the middle of the park. Absolutely no nothing,jackshit - we were appalling.
Morris will be a cert to start in midfield against Fleetwood but that looks like a certain defeat on Tuesdays showing.
The one encouraging thing was Lings reaction - we were chronic and he knew it - and you saying we played good football is about the normal level of tripe you serve up.
Tomorrows game will be intersting and a decent marker. We are far from the force we were last season, thats for sure.