Applauding Dismal Failure

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Sexy_Gulls
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Sexy_Gulls »

cambgull wrote:
Why is football different? It is a form of entertainment and enjoyment that you get from multiple other aspects of life. Your mention of band members not being tripped up is wrong too. If you've ever been in a band you'd know what its like to deal with Sound Engineers, Venue Management, fellow bands and the people who come to see the gig.
DiThe unknown quantity of the opposition which can disrupt your plans, not being able to rely on tired material (perhaps a sport is more an extended period of improvisation) and vastly different audience habits. Football fans go as often as they can because for whatever reason they are hooked on that team, music fans go and watch a band they like, can pick and choose multiple artists and except in a few sad cases do not have teh same addiction as football fans do. I'm a musician myself actually and deal with sound engineers and management all the time. I do it on a professional basis which assures better sound, better promoted concerts and that I get paid. I wouldn't expect any of them to be working against me, and if they did I wouldn't work with them again. Though sometimes I have to, bit like a crap boss really.
Apart from being forms of entertainment there really isn't much the two have in common.
but I've worked in some tiring and hard working jobs in my life and if I couldn't be bothered today, I'd have my own colleagues giving me a kick up the backside, let alone the customers who are paying my wages
Same here, and if you were anything like me you would have off days as well. Maybe you were a bit shirty with staff and colleagues, perhaps you were under the weather and took the afternoon easy, or got annoyed and placed the phone off the hook for a few hours. Do you honestly think the players 'couldn't be bothered' on Saturday? More likely they started poorly and lost confidence against a side which didn't make many mistakes. If you really want a comparison with playing live music then I can tell you I have had performances were I make a few minor mistakes and find the rest of the show difficult as I'm not playing as well as I should. It's not nerves or pressure it just happens. And I count myself lucky that I don't have some kind of opponent to capitalise on mistakes I do make, which is the key difference between sport and our line of work.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

If only it was as easy, Camb, as just turning up and trying hard. It's not a lack of effort which sees us perform badly. The boys don't pitch up on a match day and think, collectively or as individuals, 'you know what, I can't be arsed today'. It's not a lack of application, it's not a lack of willing, it's a failure in performance, communication and understanding. You could offer these boys a million pounds a week, but that wouldn't mean they would or could try any harder than they already do. Take a look at the teams at the bottom of the Premier League, can't string two passes together for their £50,000/week. Sure, in your industry (whatever that may be), it may well be a simple case of there being a direct correlation between effort and results, with few other contributory factors affecting the outcome, and consequently, you could draw a parallel between the amount you are paid and the quality of your work, but sadly, football is not like that.
As to applauding a bad performance, as I have said previously, for my own perspective (other opinions are just as valid, this really is one that is down to personal feeling), I will clap the boys almost no matter what, because I want them to have every ounce of support they can get in order to be successful. The way I see it, if I pay out £200 to see a months worth of matches in which we are terrible, and I applaud and cheer and support them through the bad times, then those bad times are not only more likely to end much sooner, meaning that the £200 I spend in the next month will be well worth it to watch us smash teams all over the place, but also that I earn the right to celebrate when fortunes do pick up. It's a little bit like voting in the General Election. Those who do not vote immeduiately forfeit the right to any opinion or gripe with anything concerning decisions of central Government, no vote, no whinge. Supporting a football team is like that, you have to take the rough with the smooth, and being that this is TUFC, those two things are likely to come in approximately equal doses. This is what so frustrates me with Manchester City fans, crying when they go a goal down in the fifth minute against a poor Wigan side, these **** don't have the right to be upset at all, because all they have ever known is happiness and success (being that the majority of them have supported City for about 10 minutes).
Those who boo and jeer and refuse to attend when the team does badly automatically forfeit their right to happiness when the team wins matches and does well. Supporting a football team is a compromise, you take whatever comes your way, that's what really supporting a club is all about. One does not stop loving one's wife simply because she gets a bit fat or has a terrible haircut, nor does one cease to love their child because that child becomes a horrible teenager, football is absolutely no different, and it is that unconditional love which makes the lows so low and rewards you with highs that are oh-so-high.

Well, that's what I think anyway.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

Matt you're gonna get me to well up ... :'( :'(

excellent post by the way
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

ferrarilover wrote:If only it was as easy, Camb, as just turning up and trying hard. It's not a lack of effort which sees us perform badly. The boys don't pitch up on a match day and think, collectively or as individuals, 'you know what, I can't be arsed today'. It's not a lack of application, it's not a lack of willing, it's a failure in performance, communication and understanding. You could offer these boys a million pounds a week, but that wouldn't mean they would or could try any harder than they already do. Take a look at the teams at the bottom of the Premier League, can't string two passes together for their £50,000/week. Sure, in your industry (whatever that may be), it may well be a simple case of there being a direct correlation between effort and results, with few other contributory factors affecting the outcome, and consequently, you could draw a parallel between the amount you are paid and the quality of your work, but sadly, football is not like that.
As to applauding a bad performance, as I have said previously, for my own perspective (other opinions are just as valid, this really is one that is down to personal feeling), I will clap the boys almost no matter what, because I want them to have every ounce of support they can get in order to be successful. The way I see it, if I pay out £200 to see a months worth of matches in which we are terrible, and I applaud and cheer and support them through the bad times, then those bad times are not only more likely to end much sooner, meaning that the £200 I spend in the next month will be well worth it to watch us smash teams all over the place, but also that I earn the right to celebrate when fortunes do pick up. It's a little bit like voting in the General Election. Those who do not vote immeduiately forfeit the right to any opinion or gripe with anything concerning decisions of central Government, no vote, no whinge. Supporting a football team is like that, you have to take the rough with the smooth, and being that this is TUFC, those two things are likely to come in approximately equal doses. This is what so frustrates me with Manchester City fans, crying when they go a goal down in the fifth minute against a poor Wigan side, these **** don't have the right to be upset at all, because all they have ever known is happiness and success (being that the majority of them have supported City for about 10 minutes).
Those who boo and jeer and refuse to attend when the team does badly automatically forfeit their right to happiness when the team wins matches and does well. Supporting a football team is a compromise, you take whatever comes your way, that's what really supporting a club is all about. One does not stop loving one's wife simply because she gets a bit fat or has a terrible haircut, nor does one cease to love their child because that child becomes a horrible teenager, football is absolutely no different, and it is that unconditional love which makes the lows so low and rewards you with highs that are oh-so-high.

Well, that's what I think anyway.

Matt.

Are you seriously telling me Matt that Billy Bodin has given full application and full effort in the away games you've seen this season? You can't hand on heart say that's the case surely?
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

It seems that Guy Branston has said his piece on this sort of thing. Possibly of interest to some.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

No, I'm not, but Billy's relative lack of endeavour did not lead to the performance on Saturday, not is it alone sufficient to withhold my support.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Fair enough Matt. :~D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

NickGull wrote:It seems that Guy Branston has said his piece on this sort of thing. Possibly of interest to some.
"I'm not about the airy-fairy Olympics [idea of] clapping everyone just for kicking the ball," he added.
"I don't want that. If we're not doing the right thing then make sure you get on at us.
"I love reading about psychology and how it works on players. You get about five to six percent more out of the player if you get on at him.
"Make sure you turn up in force and do that."

See you lot? You mess with me, you mess with the Pickler!
"Also, stands aren't sentient."