Barnet v Torquay United - 6/11/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Regiment wrote:I agree with a lot of what has been said, and i wasn't at the game on saturday, so i can only assume that we played much worse on saturday, because i thought for large periods, we played pretty well at Barnet, particularly in the first half. Unfortunately though, football being a game of cliche's, and if you don't take your chances............(rest of comment shown above).
A very balanced comment Regiment, unlike the unbalanced statements from Brucie (who was not there) and from Coley (who says he was there (?), but whose cup is ALWAYS half empty). I wasn't at the game last night, but what you say sounds spot on in relation to the games that I have been to so far this season. It is good to see a sensible, evidenced statement of how things are rather than the whinging, whining unevidenced nonsense we see from the usual suspects on here.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

My nearest game Saturday, on the back of two shite displays.. ho hum..
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

miltonkeynesgull wrote:A mistake, I think, by Oastler seemed to give the ball away to Kamdjo, who played a one-two on the edge of the box before shooting across Rice and into the far corner. Would like to see it again, but think Martin could've done a little better.
The highlights are up on GullsPlayer, and thought i'd just correct what I said about Ricey - don't think he had a chance with the goal. Does show how your eyes can play tricks on you when at a game! Pretty sure if it was Buckle, we'd be bringing in an emergency loanee keeper for Saturday. Be good for Ricey to get another run out, as he deserves it.

Unbelievably, they don't show the penalty shout. Few posts on their forum saying it was a dive, but being right in front of it, it was anything but.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Apparently Davids said we were a very good side on his twitter today.. some form of compliment I guess.

Just need to learn where the goal is again!
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

NickGull wrote:Apparently Davids said we were a very good side on his twitter today.. some form of compliment I guess.

Just need to learn where the goal is again!
Shame he couldnt stay on his feet and show his talent really I thought he was poor last night.

I thought we were the better team last night but once again scoring was the issue if that doesnt show Ling we need another striker than I dont know what will. We cant rely on Howe to carry the Goalscoring all by himself and I dont think Jarvis is the answer. As for Rice he had no chance with the goal though I'm still not keen on him being Poke's replacement. Yes he did OK last night but Barnet barely went near our goal aside from the goal and a couple easy catches. He'll have harder tests for example Oxford on Saturday will be alot more attack minded.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I've only seen two games this season (Plymouth & Barnet) so am yet to see a goal scored - but that seems to be the biggest problem. Inability to finish. One very good forward (for this level) but not much else up front.

Shouldn't have lost last night - looked like scoring every time we went forward in first half but faded in second. Looked like a clear penalty and if not a dive - ref & lino bottled it. Have to say Edgar David made a differnece for Barnet - by far the best passer on the pitch and seems to have got them organised with some innovation at set pieces.

One more observation - was it necessary ot have 8 police officers at the match. I spoke to one at half time who said Met policy is minimum of 6 for any game in London, but there was no risk of trouble last night. No burglars to catch in Barnet?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

AlexGulls wrote: I thought we were the better team last night but once again scoring was the issue if that doesnt show Ling we need another striker than I dont know what will. We cant rely on Howe to carry the Goalscoring all by himself and I dont think Jarvis is the answer. As for Rice he had no chance with the goal though I'm still not keen on him being Poke's replacement. Yes he did OK last night but Barnet barely went near our goal aside from the goal and a couple easy catches. He'll have harder tests for example Oxford on Saturday will be alot more attack minded.
And you think this is a fair basis on which to judge his performance, do you?

If, as you suggest, Oxford come at us all guns blazing, and he performs admirably, perhaps we lose 2-0 but he has no chance with either of the goals, then what?

What if he is in net for a month and we allow our opponents precisely zero shots on target, but he does everything else well, is he then an ok replacement?

Suggesting that he had bog all to do and did it well really isn't a precursor to suggesting that you don't feel happy with him in goal. I've seen him in the reserve matches we have played over the last 18 months or so and I will stick my neck out and suggest that he is, in a number of key areas, better than Pokey. He's no Bobby, in fact he's not even a Scotty Bevan really, but he is certainly not the chump he was last time round. Give the boy a chance and I think you'll be surprised by just how capable he is.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by AlexGulls »

ferrarilover wrote: And you think this is a fair basis on which to judge his performance, do you?

If, as you suggest, Oxford come at us all guns blazing, and he performs admirably, perhaps we lose 2-0 but he has no chance with either of the goals, then what?

What if he is in net for a month and we allow our opponents precisely zero shots on target, but he does everything else well, is he then an ok replacement?

Suggesting that he had bog all to do and did it well really isn't a precursor to suggesting that you don't feel happy with him in goal. I've seen him in the reserve matches we have played over the last 18 months or so and I will stick my neck out and suggest that he is, in a number of key areas, better than Pokey. He's no Bobby, in fact he's not even a Scotty Bevan really, but he is certainly not the chump he was last time round. Give the boy a chance and I think you'll be surprised by just how capable he is.

Matt The n00b.
I can only judge him on what Ive seen. Because I cant get to many reserve games due to work you will have seen him more than I have. I hope I'm wrong but I can only go on what Ive seen.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Ricey will be alright, he's miles better than the two clowns Exeter have got. He deserves his chance, everyone else who was a backup player that has been written off at some stage as had theirs and in the main done a steady job. We won't miss Poke even a quarter as much as we'll miss Howe on Saturday to be totally honest, the gulf in class between Howe and the rest of our attackers is like the difference between Celtic and Albion Rovers.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

What have you seen of him, Alex? Appreciate that you can't make reserve games.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by AlexGulls »

ferrarilover wrote:What have you seen of him, Alex? Appreciate that you can't make reserve games.

Matt The n00b.
Buckland in the Devon Bowl and couple reserve games I cant remember who against now mind. Maybe he'll be OK when hes behind our first team defence.