Bid for Benyon rejected!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

I don't see why we wouldn't get a similar sort of amount as Barnet when Albert Adomah left for Bristol City last summer.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/ne ... 0049C.html

We should reject anything less than that this month.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

I would love to be as optimistic as most, but there are some important differences between Adomah and Benyon.

Firstly Torquay got Benyon completely free, Adomah left Harrow Borough for a small fee, compensation, and also they agreed friendly matches etc. A deal rumoured to be worth around £25,000. The tribunal would take that into account. The fact Barnet invested with hard cash in a player really counts.

Secondly Adomah was also wanted by Blackpool and apparently 3 more clubs who made big offers.

We know at least one club have offered money for Benyon, but we do not know how much, this will be critical to any panel deciding his value.

If, for example, the only evidence that Torquay's board can bring to the meeting is a previous £50,000 bid from Dagenham and Redbridge (I should stress that figure was just a rumour, but seems a realistic amount), then how on earth do you get a value of £150,000 plus?

Essentially , like any business deal, the club need 2 if not 3 large bids for the player to come out with any real money.

Remember at a Tribunal, it is up to our representative to argue that Benyon is worth x amount, not the panels to help the club out!
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Lets hope ALF goes for a big wodge then. If the club can point to strikers with a similar scoring average this season moving for big fees then it only helps our cause. The important thing at the tribunal, as someone has already pointed out, is the time and effort spent on development of a player (which is supposedly the guiding thought in the tribunals desicion). We can point to a youngster who wasnt ready to hold down a conference place, being developed (over 4 years) to the point where he is now a L2 regular who knows where the net is. The fact that the club have spent 4 years getting him to this point will weigh heavily in our favour.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

MidDevon wrote:I would love to be as optimistic as most, but there are some important differences between Adomah and Benyon.

Firstly Torquay got Benyon completely free, Adomah left Harrow Borough for a small fee, compensation, and also they agreed friendly matches etc. A deal rumoured to be worth around £25,000. The tribunal would take that into account. The fact Barnet invested with hard cash in a player really counts.

Secondly Adomah was also wanted by Blackpool and apparently 3 more clubs who made big offers.

We know at least one club have offered money for Benyon, but we do not know how much, this will be critical to any panel deciding his value.

If, for example, the only evidence that Torquay's board can bring to the meeting is a previous £50,000 bid from Dagenham and Redbridge (I should stress that figure was just a rumour, but seems a realistic amount), then how on earth do you get a value of £150,000 plus?

Essentially , like any business deal, the club need 2 if not 3 large bids for the player to come out with any real money.

Remember at a Tribunal, it is up to our representative to argue that Benyon is worth x amount, not the panels to help the club out!
I'm not convinced that's entirely accurate. Can a tribunal really base it's decision on what the 'buying' club is prepared to offer? Because it's in their interest to make their 'offer' derisory in that case. Just as we'll have to argue that our valuation is reasonable, so any bidding team would have to convince the panel their offer is acceptable!

It's not just about how much we want, or how much we've been offered. Otherwise, they offer £50k, we ask £500k and the tribunal agree's on £250k? It's not quite that simple.

I'd assume the value put on him will be as close to his true worth as the tribunal can make it. Taking into account his importance to the team he currently plays for, his progression at his current club, and his potential. As a first team regular, with 20+ goals, i don't think we'd fall shy of £100k.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

With all this talk of tribunals, I decided to look up their criteria for awarding kom-pen-say-shun to losing clubs. There is precious little information available on t'interweb, bit I did find this page.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/youthd ... 25_1423139

Paragraph 5 seems to be the most important, I'd have copy and pasted, but it seems I cannot do such a thing, and it's always good to have things quoted in context (isn't that right, Jonnyfive?)

There seem to me to be far too many variables (about which none of us may ever know the full details) for us to even begin to guess what a tribunal might offer.

I suggest a fee of £1,000,000 as a starting point and we'll go from there.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
wiggy_10

Post by wiggy_10 »

Are we saying that no news is good news?

Its now the 18th and i haven't heard anything from anywhere about him leaving.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

ayellow4life wrote:Are we saying that no news is good news?
Its now the 18th and i haven't heard anything from anywhere about him leaving.
Either that or he has been sold and no-one at either club though it necessary to inform us, or the media, or anyone for that matter :rofl:

Matt.
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

I was thinking the same - the fact that this month has been a quiet time for player movement so far (it seems rather more a managerial transfer window!) looks to have counted in our favour. No doubt the same thing will happen that happens every window and it will get busy in the last couple of days right up to the deadline. I just hope we don't get shafted as we did when Ward was sold on the last day with no time to get any replacements, then we will really be in the brown stuff.

One thing that may make it more likely that Benyon leaves before the end of the month is the fact that Charlie Austin has handed in a transfer request at Swindon. Really bad news for us as they are known to be one of EB's main admirers - so I certainly wouldn't count our chickens yet. My main hope is that the board our able to keep the squad together until the Crawley game - this is going to be the key for us. Get through and not only will we make history, the club's future could be secured for years to come.
The original taunton_gull!!!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

taunton_gull wrote:I was thinking the same - the fact that this month has been a quiet time for player movement so far (it seems rather more a managerial transfer window!) looks to have counted in our favour. No doubt the same thing will happen that happens every window and it will get busy in the last couple of days right up to the deadline. I just hope we don't get shafted as we did when Ward was sold on the last day with no time to get any replacements, then we will really be in the brown stuff.

One thing that may make it more likely that Benyon leaves before the end of the month is the fact that Charlie Austin has handed in a transfer request at Swindon. Really bad news for us as they are known to be one of EB's main admirers - so I certainly wouldn't count our chickens yet. My main hope is that the board our able to keep the squad together until the Crawley game - this is going to be the key for us. Get through and not only will we make history, the club's future could be secured for years to come.
How so? TUFC v Stevenage won't be on telly, nor will they bring many fans. :)

Matt.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Swindons Austin wants a move away so benyon could be off there!
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

On the basis that we got £35k from a tribunal for Carayol after two years and a handful of games ,I say keep Benyon until the end of the season.

On the Carayol formula, Benyon must be valued at £200k + in the summer.

That way we get to keep him and earn even more through progress in the cup.
TUST #324
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Manset is going to Crystal Palace:

http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/eag ... ticle.html

Fee is meant to be in excess of 500k.

Rotherham have turned down a seven figure bid for Le Fondre, and have set a 2m price tag on him.

Exeter are up the road getting big fee after big fee.

We have a number of talented young players, and getting decent fees for them is the only way we're going to grow as a club, as our attendences and budget aren't anything special in this division. Who was the last player we managed to sell for a big fee - David Graham in 2004? Benyon will score around the same number of goals this season if he stays, maybe more, so if we can't even get the 215k we got for him then we'll be going backwards.

Roberts wasn't interested in the club, and the 95k for Jamie Ward was a travesty. But the board at the moment have no excuses for not getting the full value of the squad. What's the point of building a young squad, young manager etc and then giving them away before we've progressed.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Who deals with transfer negotiations at Torquay now? I am sure it would of been Colin Lee before he left so who has this responsibility know?

This could be key to making sure we get what the players are worth if we do sell.

If Manset is worth half a million then Benyon has to be too - right?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Gulliball wrote:Manset is going to Crystal Palace:
http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/eag ... ticle.html

Fee is meant to be in excess of 500k.

Rotherham have turned down a seven figure bid for Le Fondre, and have set a 2m price tag on him.

Exeter are up the road getting big fee after big fee.

We have a number of talented young players, and getting decent fees for them is the only way we're going to grow as a club, as our attendences and budget aren't anything special in this division. Who was the last player we managed to sell for a big fee - David Graham in 2004? Benyon will score around the same number of goals this season if he stays, maybe more, so if we can't even get the 215k we got for him then we'll be going backwards.

Roberts wasn't interested in the club, and the 95k for Jamie Ward was a travesty. But the board at the moment have no excuses for not getting the full value of the squad. What's the point of building a young squad, young manager etc and then giving them away before we've progressed.
Hardly surprising, I did warn you, I did, but would you listen, NO, you just wanted to pick on my choice of adjective!

Benners is younger than ALF, and has just 4 fewer goals so far this season. Clubs are all over him because he gets a disproportional amount of the headlines. A little like Darren Bent, who would have guessed that over a certain time frame (which I can't remember or be arsed to look up) he is just one goal behind joint leaders Drogba and Rooney with 81 goals. I nearly soiled myself in protest when I heard the fee for Bent, then I realised that he is a much better player than I thought he was, it's just he doesn't get the headlines, for whatever reason. On this principle, if ALF is subject to bids in excess of £1m, Benyon MUST be 'bite your arm off, thank you very much' value at £250,000.

Matt.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I don't know if that was a general comment or aimed at me, but I don't remember commenting on your description of Manset.

He's officially gone to Reading today. Fee is undisclosed - but with appearance clauses is a club record sale for Hereford, meaning it's above 440k.

He only had 6 months left on his contract too, when it would have gone to tribunal.

What chance we stood of signing him I don't know, but it was probably 0.something%

Interestingly Swindon signed a centre-back from Alfreton today for 150k. Makes the offers we're getting for Ellis and Benyon just insulting and infuriating.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats