Rochdale Vs Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Thanks Dave for coming on to the forum and discussing our situation. You are one of my all time Torquay Heroes and I just wish that the present board and players had your playing attitude of giving 100% in every situation.

I am just watching the FL show and its so frustrating seeing clubs like Bristol Rovers, Plymouth Rotherham etc having treble our resources while we struggle along with crowds of 1780.

Are we a conference side ? I bloody hope not !

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Last edited by Dutchgull on 17 Feb 2013, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:just been on bbc...........
cant believe rene didnt score - he did against chesterfield! :@
leroy was asked about our situation - no suggestion that he might be joining............
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Of course he wont.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Dutchgull wrote:Of course he wont.
so do I fishy..........!!!!!!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025

TUST Member 468

chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

not usually a contributor, but here goes... this was not a bad performance!! A fairly entertaining game and the team clapped off at the end. The same was true at my last match against Burton. But in both cases, there is simply not enough testing the opposition goalie. No snap shots from the edge of the area, not decent crosses, no neat one-two's or defence splitting passes. I guess that this means that the problem is quality, determination and invention. The only player to show glimpses of that was Leadbitter - lets hope that we can continue to develop him and the scouts from higher divisions will be snapping. But for today, Rene should have scored, Bodin was abysmal and also possibly to blame for not tracking back their goalscorer. Easton gave a creditable performance, and we are fortunate to have a good defender in reserve in MacDonald. I like Jarvis who is hard-working and skilful, but somehow nobody is linking effectively with Rene. Rochdale managed several snappy moves, quick passes and speedy shots whilst Torquay made none!
This poor run stems back to Ling I'm afraid. Overall, our player quality is not good enough, tactics leave a lot to be desired, and player selection is often poor. So it was today - a good winger would be a great asset (not Stevens), give Bodin a spell out of the team, don't leave it until the last 10 mins to get Benyon on, and don't have sub Macklin playing too far up, leaving big holes between forwards and defence. And finally, what on earth goes on in training when there is so little cohesion generally and no invention with any free kick or corner?
A new Manager for the remaining games may make Lings illness a blessing in disguise, but we need one who can bring in some quality loans and a harder, snappier edge to our play.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

chestertorkyman wrote:not usually a contributor, but here goes... this was not a bad performance!! A fairly entertaining game and the team clapped off at the end. The same was true at my last match against Burton. But in both cases, there is simply not enough testing the opposition goalie. No snap shots from the edge of the area, not decent crosses, no neat one-two's or defence splitting passes. I guess that this means that the problem is quality, determination and invention. The only player to show glimpses of that was Leadbitter - lets hope that we can continue to develop him and the scouts from higher divisions will be snapping. But for today, Rene should have scored, Bodin was abysmal and also possibly to blame for not tracking back their goalscorer. Easton gave a creditable performance, and we are fortunate to have a good defender in reserve in MacDonald. I like Jarvis who is hard-working and skilful, but somehow nobody is linking effectively with Rene. Rochdale managed several snappy moves, quick passes and speedy shots whilst Torquay made none!
This poor run stems back to Ling I'm afraid. Overall, our player quality is not good enough, tactics leave a lot to be desired, and player selection is often poor. So it was today - a good winger would be a great asset (not Stevens), give Bodin a spell out of the team, don't leave it until the last 10 mins to get Benyon on, and don't have sub Macklin playing too far up, leaving big holes between forwards and defence. And finally, what on earth goes on in training when there is so little cohesion generally and no invention with any free kick or corner?
A new Manager for the remaining games may make Lings illness a blessing in disguise, but we need one who can bring in some quality loans and a harder, snappier edge to our play.
:goodpost: :clap:

i agree especially about tactics and player selection. most of the players are good enough. part of it now comes down to attitude and confidence.if players arent performing then they should be replaced and give someone else a chance. too many "safe" options with negative tactics and play are not doing us any good.attacking and scoring goals is what wins football matches. there are players in our squad that must be very frustrated.

:scarf:
Last edited by chunkygull on 17 Feb 2013, 18:42, edited 2 times in total.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

chunkygull wrote: i agree especially about tactics and player selection. most of the players are good enough. part of it now comes down to attitude and confidence.if players arent performing then they should be replaced and give someone else a chance. too many "safe" options and negative tactics and play are not doing us any good.attacking and scoring goals is what wins football matches. there are players in our squad that must being very frustrated.

:scarf:

that seems to be the problem chunk me old mate. it wont happen.

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Didn't write a match report for this as i had the arse on but just to let you all know that the ground was good, the people friendly, an excellent view, the game was ala Aldershot, the programme was one of the best i'e read, the chippy across the road excellent, the music in the ground superb ( all Manchester bands from the 90's like Smiths, Stone Roses, Charlatans ) and i actually purchased a pair of Rochdale home shorts from the club shop for a tenner! Oh, and we lost. Still, not a bad day.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.