Torquay United v Port Vale - 23/2/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

SBP wrote:Totally agree with you Hector.

Apart from the free kick i cant recall there keeper making any saves. In fact there keeper spent most of the match laying on his arse tapping his boots, what was that all about??

We need to make improvements in midfield, and we need to know who our best wide men our. My earlier team selection of leaving Bodin out was called into question by CAMBGULL, well today just proved it, he was basically ineffective on the left, beat a couple of players then losses the ball!! Ryan Jarvis seemed to find himself very deep, wouldnt it be better to have Nathan Craig doing that role! Maklin was introduced and instantly beat the full back and cut the ball back. No one there unfortunately.

We really didnt know what to do with the ball on occassions, players bumping in to each other!
Actually, I didn't and don't disagree that Bodin should be left out. What I said was that Stevens isn't a better option. Neither are really good enough.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Delighted with that performance, think it is very harsh to critize us for not scoring today, or for not testing their keeper enough, Vale are a very good, big strong side, thought Vale were strong, solid and well organized at the back and credit to them for keeping us out.

I have seen suggestions that Benyon was not played at Aldershot because he has come to us very unfit, well those who have suggested that were talking out the back of their behinds, he is fit no doubt, in the first half he failed to connect with a couple of half chances, that was probably down to lack of games.

The team did not in any way desevre to lose that game today, it's often said when your down the bottom of the league things do not go your way, the deflection on their goal was a huge. I said, I was not going to be to concerned about the result, was looking more at the performance. The thing that pleased me the most was the team did not panic, did not resort to hoofing the ball all over the place, carried on trying to play football, played with alot of desire and edge that has been lacking these last few weeks.

A lesser team with out such a strong defence may have cracked, keep that up and I am sure the results will soon follow, but thats the thing the team must keep the performance level of today up, and improve on it.

Good start for Alan Knill, it would have foolish to think Alan Knill was going out to bring in loan players with out having a proper look at the team, I allways thought he would look at todays game and Wycombe Tuesday before deciding on what was needed.

Here is hoping for a result from wycombe now..COYY
Formerly known as forevertufc
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

Dave_Pougher wrote:How many argyle does it take to change a light bulb ??

None

They just sit around and talk about how good the bulb was whilst they they were in the Championship lol

There's a thought,,, probably why i feel like a guy with a glass half empty this evening. Well done to the lads for a better performance this afternoon sounds like they had a much better performance (esp Manse particularly pleased about that) and from the sounds of it Port Vale knew they had been in a game. Great,, long may it continue. Slightly peeved that Alan Knill didn't bring anyone in for this match though, short notice,, yes,, without a doubt, but you'd like to think that with the contacts Knill has already said he has he would have brought somebody in right away. Couple that with Bakers comments pre match saying " I'd be really suprised if we didn't bring someONE in within the next TEN days or so" I still feel slightly worried.

So the question remains, did Alan not bring anyone in,, or was he discouraged form doing so?

Over to you Simon/Bill
I must admit Dave, I'm very surprised that this post came from you. You're usually quite sensible with your posts but to want a manager to come in and start making signings without seeing the team playing in his style is nothing short of stupid. What if he signed players covering spots which we already have a player more than capable of playing in it, whilst leaving a position with someone playing poorly?

He needs to see them on the park first so he can properly see where the weaker areas are. Perhaps today has highlighted it's on the left hand side of the pitch.
Luke.

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Another poor crowd figure today then given Vale must have fetched a few?
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

Around 2,000 for us. 2,679 in total.
Luke.

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Doesn't bode well for tuesday night then? :-/
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Anyone know how many season ticket holders we actually have?
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

Somewhere around the 1,000 mark I believe.
Luke.

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Mansel was excellent and there is no chance of Craig replacing him. Seems that Craig is out of the squad as some kind of disciplinary measure. He may be good on the ball but he just hasn't got the work rate - a luxury player who we cannot afford at the moment.
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

brucie wrote: Seems that Craig is out of the squad as some kind of disciplinary measure.
Saw someone on twitter ask him why he wasn't playing and if he was injured. His reply was "dont know mate and no not injured".

Think we can take from that that it's not disciplinary. Hardly seems the sort to cause a stir anyway. Baffling.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

The omission of Craig is a strange one. Can only think Knill is backing up the Taylor decision last week.

Not sure I agree with the poster above who mentioned lack of work rate from Craig. In the few games I have seen him, he's put a good shift in, looked lively and hit stuck in. He's certainly no slacker in my eyes.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

I understand what Knill needs to see the squad before bringing any of his loans in, but he must have had some idea in his mind about who he would approach even before he saw the Penn Inn roundabout. Looking at the squad, OK I except that, thats not my concern is, my concern is what his brief is.

Dangerous times need drastic measures we've all said for months (some even longer than that) where additions have been required. You then see the likes of Bill Phillips saying on the offical site before the transfer window shuts that we wouldn't be bringing anyone in, just how long has he been in charge of team affairs? Then as late as yesterday you hear, on air, Simon Baker saying "I'd be really suprised of we didn't bring anyone in in the next 10 days or so." All this just doesn't give me confidence that who evers in charge will be given the tools required.

Every point is vital I don't have tell any of you that but we're almost in the situation that if we lose a game we must win the next the confidence just isn't there with the players we have. I said a couple of weeks ago one or two additions could make all the difference, we've now gone past that,, does anyone have the confidence that Knill will be allowed by Messers Baker and Phillips to bring in three or four?

Hope I'm wrong, lets see.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Agree largely with Brucie and Yellowsmiffy. This was a much improved performance and created lots of opportunities in the first half when we kept the ball down. Unfortunately as Alan Knill said on the radio, we couldnt maintain it and resorted to a longer game thus becoming less threatening. Benyon caused their defence all sorts of problems giving Howe more chance to do what he does best and this shows what we have been missing this season with that stilted 451 formation.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
markw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by markw »

Not sure bringing in wholesale numbers of new players will help, look at Plymouth 7 new players from when their new manager started and where are they in the league? When you are in a dog fight you want some one who is prepared to scrap it out , would loanees do that? Or would they upset the team spirit ?

However, wouldn't be adverse to 1 or 2 new faces , but in what position ? Centerback ? Depends on how bad Dowes hamstring is ? Midfield creativity ? What's happened to Craig ? Is Morris back to fitness ? Upfront ? Rene walking a tightrope a couple of bookings away from another suspension ?

Some tough questions for knill
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

How frustrating is this?! Under Ling and Taylor we played dull, defensive football and lost by the odd goal, yesterday we played more adventurous attacking football and lost by the odd goal.
How different could things be if we had played like this against Aldershot on Tuesday or all the matches before....

But, the past is passed. The future is bright, things are looking better.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084