Drummers at war

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Drummers at war

Post by Awayday »

I was doing some reading about famous drummers in bands and came across some articles about very famous drummers who were awarded medals during various wars. I feel everything in the articles summed it up for the drums at football matches.

Communication
Obviously back in the days before radio transmissions, it was very difficult to tell your army to attack at the same time. Therefore the armies employed young boys to stand a few hundred yards apart and they would drum the instructions down the line. Because this was seen as highly important for tactical reasons, the drummers were always on the front line. As the soldiers attacked they would have to move with them, just in case the commanders wanted to pass messages down onto the battle field.

Moral
Before any battle the drummers would build up the atmosphere by building up a slow drum beat into a steady pace. They would get faster and faster just before the battle cries start. Also they would be entertainment for the troops when they are not fighting. This is when the introduction to bugglers came about, other musicians would join in with the drummers and play music. During the American civils wars they realised that this link of moral and communications was important and would employ young boys just to play instruments. The drummer was always seen as the important one, but the buggles were used to inform the soldiers at camp whether it was lights out or wake up time etc.

Football
I have been going to football matches for 30 years now and I remember there was always some sort of bustle and noise from the terraces. As I got older I moved away from standing with the family and started standing with my mates in the back of the terraces. When I got to about 20 I realised that if you had a good group of people around you, you could start any chant you wanted and they would sing along. So I lost my shyness for starting chants. However if the team on the pitch were playing badly, it is the one time you need the crowd behind you, but as you all know that is the one time you can't be arsed to sing.

Then came an unbelievable turn of events. Oxford v Torquay, midweek game, we were 3-0 down, we had nothing to lose. So a few of us at the back started the "Yellow Army" chant at the start of the second half, and we didn't stop for the entire half. It was the best feeling ever coming away 3-3 and for the first time I personally felt the satisfaction of being in the 12th man.

Then someone started bringing a drum to away games and being a drummer it was painful to hear the drum being played so badly. It wasn't until Steveange away though that I thought enough is enough and took the drum off the kids playing it and decided to try and do it properly. Southampton Gull will be the first to tell you, instantly the crowd were all together in time, very loud and the atmosphere was awesome. At one point the Stevenage manager came into the technical area and started shouting at his own fans and pointing at us as if to say "You are being out sung".

For me personally it felt awesome, having the control of crowd and the atmosphere. When there were quiet patches in the game I would play quietly, and as the game built up I would play louder. Dave may have to remind me, but I think we were 1-0 down, had a player sent off and we needed to get behind the team to help then dig in for the draw, and just like Oxford it worked. Then we have the famous games against Histon in the play off semi finals. Firstly the home leg in the away end. What a noise we generated that day. I had to work that day, and I couldn't finish early, so it was very close whether I would make it or not. I got stuck in traffic at Dorchester, I was very close to turning around because I know I would miss most of the first half. Alex and I were constantly phoning each other, me telling him I wouldn't get there in time and him convincing me I would. I may have broken some records that night, but I got through the turnstyle just as the players were coming onto the pitch. The rest (as they say) is History. The first time I had played the drum at Plainmoor and we took the roof off. The players must have been shell shocked with the noise that night. It was much the same for the return away leg. Cambridge were already through and most had travelled to Histon to support us from outside the ground. As we were leaving the Cambridge fans applauded us for the noise we made that game.

Then comes the best football moment ever for me......... the Wembley final. It started off from the Green Man, where Southampton Gull had arranged for a few of us to march down with the drum to the ground....... Just as we got to the bottom of Wembley, we turned back and the crowd went all the way up to the main road and we could see people still crossing the road. I am not very good with working out how many people are in a crowd, but I would say there were well over 500 of us all marching and singing together. Even the Cambridge fans applauded us from the walkway around Wembley (soon to be renamed Plainmoor2). As a kid I had always wanted to play my drums at Wembley (ideally in a rock band) so on this day my dream came true...... and yet again we made some noise that day.

I am not writing this to justify why we need a drum at games, I am not trying to blow my own trumpet, but just wanted to show the very close links between the drummers of war and the drummers at football (apart from I am not being shot at). Without them we can still build an atmosphere, but with them the crowd can sing in unisome and singing together must make us sound much louder. Even when some of us are not in the mood for joining in the singing because the game isn't very entertaining it is difficult not to join in when everyone around you is singing along to the drum.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I remember Stevenage away that time very well. That was probably the first of the magical away day special atmospheres created by us, as you said, it certainly prompted Westley to have a go at his own fans, who incidentally were absolutely fantastic when we played them this season. I think you were responsible for them getting a drummer of their own and the crowd to our right as we sat there this season were very noisy throughout the whole game, a million times better than they were before then.

The home leg of the play-offs against Histon proved to me that without a doubt the club should allocate us at least a part of that stand, the noise generated is much superior to that of the Popside, but everyone on here knows my feelings on that.

I don't know what the noise was like last saturday for others in different parts of the ground but I noticed several times that we were singing and just a few yards to our right there was a group with Barlow singing a different song, you only noticed it when you stopped singing yourself, so that adds to the theory that the sound just doesn't carry enough on the Popside, I'd be interested to know what those sat in the Grandstand could hear.

The Wembley march, well like you that for me has to be the best ever feeling I've had at a match, (maybe telling Colin Lee what I thought he was at the VT youth game came pretty close though) it was a very good feeling to look back and see just how many had joined us by the time we got to Wembley Way, and seeing the Cambridge fans parting to allow us through as we reached the level of the turnstiles made the hairs on my neck stand up, truly magical moment.

I know the effort you put in when you play at a game, I've seen the blisters for myself, I for one appreciate it very much as I'm sure all but Wivel do, just wish we could make it to more games, perhaps I could tempt Rachel into divorcing you.......... or get my hands on that bloody list you two make to see who gets the saturday for themselves :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

Divorce is a bit extreme............ but well worth it for Torquay :)
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote:I remember Stevenage away that time very well. That was probably the first of the magical away day special atmospheres created by us, as you said, it certainly prompted Westley to have a go at his own fans, who incidentally were absolutely fantastic when we played them this season. I think you were responsible for them getting a drummer of their own and the crowd to our right as we sat there this season were very noisy throughout the whole game, a million times better than they were before then.

The home leg of the play-offs against Histon proved to me that without a doubt the club should allocate us at least a part of that stand, the noise generated is much superior to that of the Popside, but everyone on here knows my feelings on that.

I don't know what the noise was like last saturday for others in different parts of the ground but I noticed several times that we were singing and just a few yards to our right there was a group with Barlow singing a different song, you only noticed it when you stopped singing yourself, so that adds to the theory that the sound just doesn't carry enough on the Popside, I'd be interested to know what those sat in the Grandstand could hear.

The Wembley march, well like you that for me has to be the best ever feeling I've had at a match, (maybe telling Colin Lee what I thought he was at the VT youth game came pretty close though) it was a very good feeling to look back and see just how many had joined us by the time we got to Wembley Way, and seeing the Cambridge fans parting to allow us through as we reached the level of the turnstiles made the hairs on my neck stand up, truly magical moment.
I know the effort you put in when you play at a game, I've seen the blisters for myself, I for one appreciate it very much as I'm sure all but Wivel do, just wish we could make it to more games, perhaps I could tempt Rachel into divorcing you.......... or get my hands on that bloody list you two make to see who gets the saturday for themselves :)
the march from the green man to wembley will live with me a for a very long time.

a fantastic moment in time. glad i was there :engflag:

and of course the drumming was 1st class! :clap:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Stoke_Gull »

I think the drum played well adds something to any match. Before every match I go to a game which unfornately is not as oten as I'd like I am always hopeful that 'the guy with the drum' is there. Last one for me was away against Shrewsbury in October last year, had a great time even though we did draw. Wembley sounds fantastic and I wish I could of gone but the trains from Stoke on Trent on a Sunday are appauling.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: the march from the green man to wembley will live with me a for a very long time.

a fantastic moment in time. glad i was there :engflag:

and of course the drumming was 1st class! :clap:

Remember Wembley and the march down the hill from the Green Man. I was well P*&^& but it was just a great day and the drums?? well, just so uplifting!! :scarf:
Oblivion!!!!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Ghee when i read the title thought you were challenging J.Barlow to a drum off,could only see one winner there :clap:

I go normaly go corner to corner on the popside and often walking down there are 3 sections with 3 different chants going the sound does not carry,also there is one lad who try's to get chants going in the corners and unless its yellow army no one joins in.

Thats why i really enjoyed standing with you s/g and the others at the Histon play off semi,and again saturday never been happier to have had a sore throat :) ,and the march down from the greene man as said above that will live long,long in the memory.

Think having a drum that can heard all round the ground and played properly is important,the club should invite you down for as many home games as possible,yes the early goal help however with you and the drum we still would have had quite the atmophere we saturday,and i did lift the players,and reading across all tufc fans forums its something that all tufc fans appereciate.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

oxgull wrote:
Remember Wembley and the march down the hill from the Green Man. I was well P*&^& but it was just a great day and the drums?? well, just so uplifting!! :scarf:
Ditto - brilliant day. Proud to say I was there.

The way the Cambridge fans parted when they saw us coming was just brilliant.

YELLOW ARMY!!!! YELLOW ARMY!!!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Now that would have been a sight. I know you don't like to blow your own trumpet but if you think of it It would be dificult to blow and drum at the same time. But keep on drumming and we will sing Yellow army all night with megaphones so Creepy Crawley Cant hear their own Farts.
I well remember that Day at Wembley. it always make my hair stand on the back of my neck and I spill my dinner down my front when I become all emulsional. :ball2: :ball1: :clap: :scarf: :clap: :scarf: :win: :win: :win:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Crawley game - get the drums in and lets bring the noise.

Lets add to your stories of Stevenage and Wembley to be re-told with pride in time to come.

Massive game for us and lets do everything we can to help the team beat Crawley.

I hope you will be there Awayday?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

He will be even if I have to drag him there :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

Richinns wrote:Crawley game - get the drums in and lets bring the noise.

Lets add to your stories of Stevenage and Wembley to be re-told with pride in time to come.

Massive game for us and lets do everything we can to help the team beat Crawley.

I hope you will be there Awayday?
I will be there, as long as the club don't make it all ticket and I don't have to collect vouchers between now and then
holsten
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by holsten »

Occasionally i take over from Barlow and have a go. I can do the beats but with Barlow's current drum any beats you try and do sounds like a droning noise. The skin needs tightening.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Awayday wrote: I will be there, as long as the club don't make it all ticket and I don't have to collect vouchers between now and then
Talking of vouchers, did anyone get one last night?
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

NickGull wrote: Talking of vouchers, did anyone get one last night?
yeah i did get a ticket, everyone did nickgull, and barlow needs a lesson on how to actually play that bloody drum. .. awayday, show him how it is done :)