PSF Thread - Tiverton v Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Don't we always get a crap result at Tiverton during pre season? Swear they've been our bogey team of the pre season schedule.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Brucie said he was going to this game. Give him time to get back to sheep sh*gger country then await his "honest" appraisal of the game and it's participants. :nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Who cares, Friendlies are about trying ALL players in the squad, different formations etc. Tonight it looks like the fringe players and a few experienced. We are still unbeaten and will learn more tonight drawing and having to work hard than beating them 8-0. Have faith for a week Saturday. Whats the point going there playing the best we have, winning say 3-0 it would not prove nothing, we have to give all a run out.
Lucy
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Trojan 67 wrote:Brucie said he was going to this game. Give him time to get back to sheep sh*gger country then await his "honest" appraisal of the game and it's participants. :nod:
No doubt we are certainties for the drop already!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

:lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

:clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
OhJimmyJimmy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by OhJimmyJimmy »

Went to watch the game. Largely un-inspiring. Lots if fringe players.

Bright in first half, Bodin was lively but frustrating as he gave away possession to often and very cheaply. N Thompson looked exciting but needs composure in front of goal.

Second half chapell and Cameron came on and didn't set the world on fire. Saw Harding for the first time, him and Mansell are a good match in CM with the two wingers.

No Benyon at all and Sullivan and Yeoman worked hard but without any real threat.

Downes was steady, cruise bombed on well and looked good on the ball, Mackenzie was impressive and distributed well also. Quick word for the GK Connor Thompson who played the 90 and looked very assured.

Biggest plus for me was Nathan Craig who kept things ticking in CM. looked good on the ball, moved the ball well, scored a class goal, and generally stepped up. Will be good comp for Mansell and Harding and if they go with a 3 in midfield it should be him.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Cheers for that jimmy. :-D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

How did Mackenzie and Hutchings do at the back ?
OhJimmyJimmy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by OhJimmyJimmy »

Mackenzie played centre half looked in control. Never felt he was under pressure. Looked good on the ball and switched play well on more than one occasion.

Hutchings played 90 mins at RB. Looked steady in defence but wasn't really an option going forward, when he did get down the line the cross didn't come. Coped well with a quick winger near the end (Malsom).

Mackenzie slightly more impressive but both did well.

A big centre forward and a big centre half and we are ready to go.......
james707
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by james707 »

Just got back from game, only just made it as a accident on the motorway nearly caused me to turn back.
Really good first half, the 2 young lads Mackenzie and Hutchings both looked really comfortable on the ball and looked good prospects. Think Mackenzie might get quite a few first team minutes this season. The bright spark of the first half for me was Thompson, strong, fast and defiantly been working out over the summer. Missed a few chances in front of goal the only down point for him. Craig passed the ball well and kept things moving in the middle of the park.
Second half Tiverton changed their whole team and looked much the better, in fact really should have won the game. Chappell and Cameron on at half time for us along with Harding. I don't remember us having a shot at goal in the second 45 which is very worrying.
The fans I was stood near were clearly worried about where the goals will come from this season as it was evident tonight we are really missing something up front as I don't see Yeoman or Sullivan as first choice strikers at present.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I would agree with what OhJimmyJimmy says.

First half was all Torquay. Neat football but with no end product. Sullivan has something about him but more of a support striker than a main one. Our forward line worries me because all we have otherwise is Benyon. We just are not going to score many goals.

Niall Thompson has pace but just no sense of what to do with the ball. For all his speed, he doesn't seem to do anything than run the ball too far. Bodin started well but then just became frustrating. Giving the ball away and looking like a £70 player rather than a £70,000. Yeoman, I thought was quiet also.

In defence, the first half they did not really have to do much but to be honest, it was only poor finishing that prevented Tiverton scoring 3 in that second half. Sam Malsom caused the Torquay defence quite a few problems. Tiverton don't look too bad a team for their level. In the second half, it wasn't really obvious which was the league club.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

supergulls wrote:How did Mackenzie and Hutchings do at the back ?
Hutch covered well, but is suspect positionally. He was undone more than once with a diagonal over his head to a talented (but not exceptionally so) winger. He made up ground well on a couple of occasions, but a better player wouldn't have needed to in the first place. Still, not a bad showing, worth persevering with.

Matt
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

That was bloody awful. Tiverton were by far the better side. Pick of our players was Thompson - missed a couple of sitters in first half but was very good apart from that. Worryingly in the second half we changed the team and went missing. Mostly first teamers but we really should have lost.
Went with a friend who watches Plymouth as well as Torquay. His verdict was that we will struggle to avoid relegation.
We are desperately short of at least two players - a striker and a centre half. Cooper didn't appear - rumour has that he has been fixed up with another club.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Obviously I wasn't there but to say it's just a friendly is BS. These players are fighting to be on the team sheet come first game of the season. I am very worried.