Torquay United v Cheltenham Town - 17.5.12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Indeed, Tai scored. Still would get rid though. The money could be better spent elsewhere.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

This is the thing with Atieno, he did score some of our most important goals during the season, that can't be forgoten, like the first against Rovers away, and what turned out to be the winner Swindon home, they could have been priceless goals.

However this lad bugs me, in the last 5 minutes, he was harrasing defenders , moving sharply with and with out the ball, chasing down lost causes, and thats the very thing that we just don't see enough from him, it's in their, let it out Atieno.
Formerly known as forevertufc
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Agreed... he did more in 10 minutes than I have seen from him in most of his other appearances. I wonder if he thought he should put in a little effort to help him get another year? Cynical maybe, but he is frustratingly poor most of the time.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

It depends what we want to be or have the budget to be next year whether Atieno stays or goes. If we want to be promotion challengers then he's not good enough simple as that. If we want to be a lower-midtable side then he's ok as backup.

Tai has done about as well as he could do this year, his career suggests he's not a particularly good player but like others I think he's probably got the most out of what he has in the locker and it's been one of his most succesful seasons. He's never ever going to be a 10+ goals a season striker so like I say it depends on what we've got to work with. We could do worse than keep him for a year but we could also do a hell of a lot better.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

my lad was really surprised that Tai scored a header, but then added "probably because he didn't have to jump". even a 9yr old sees it !!
Brady

I Wish I Was There
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

If he played 46 games do you think he'd score 10+ as it appears to me he scored 7 or 8 from limited appearances.

Cheltenham away apart, he's done ok when i've seen him recently at Oxford and Hereford.

Anyway, reading the HE and his comments, sounds like hes back next year so I say fair play to you Tai, keep improving.
TUST #324
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

If he's back I wouldn't be too annoyed about it, he's done ok and again like I said above we've had worse strikers than him.

He does seem to be better when used as an impact sub, when he plays longer than 30mins or so in the games I've seen he's been pretty average. Apart from Argyle away where I thought he did a really good job for the team.
tattooedjackass
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by tattooedjackass »

Can't beleive someone said Jarvis was awfull he played his heart out last night and went for a hell of alot more balls than Tai did, his headers were fantastic and only that there keeper had a cracking game or we would have been 2-0 up, i for one hope we keep Jarvis and have him and Rene up front!
My Life To Live!
COYY
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

I like Ryan. Hope we keep him.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

I think Yeoman would offer as much as Taiwo next season, and on a lot less money.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Sadly Yeoman like the rest of our youth isn't good enough. Summed up by with 15mins remaining Ling would rather put Elllis up front than a lad that by trade is a striker.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Jarvis is one of the highest earners at Walsall. High end L1 weekly wage is probably pushing £2,000, he'd need a huge paycut for me to want him here. Personally I'm sure there's better out there for less.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

kittiwake wrote: Thought this would being out an OTT response from you, Matt. Jusv waiting for something similar from Austrian Andy who seems to have gone to ground.
An excellent rebuttal. Are you Cambgull in disguise?
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

kittiwake wrote: Thought this would being out an OTT response from you, Matt. Jusv waiting for something similar from Austrian Andy who seems to have gone to ground.

Don't worry. I like Tai and think a bit of positive man-management along with some confidence and he could be a good player for us. He's shown me enough in pieces that he has the ability, with a good partner in a 4-4-2 he will score goals.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Even though we lost yesterday I enjoyed last night, the fans were brilliant (bar those idiots that ran on the pitch) and the atmosphere was electric at times. The players gave it their all and couldn't have given anymore IMO, they made one last push to try and get the result that we needed. We battered them in the first half and have goodness knows how many chances. In the end holes started to form in our defence in the second half due to us going forward, but I was proud of the boys last night.

I have a couple of videos from last night, keep checking the "TorquayFans.com Youtube Channel" thread for updates :)
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.