New Grandstand

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Trojan 67 wrote:Eh ? It's an open sided concrete box with fitted plastic seats fer cry sakes, why then the 35 to 40 weeks for completion ?
It best not be "an open sided concrete box" otherwise it will be a wind tunnel like the Family Stand....Fine in August to October, April and May but bloody freezing otherwise. I would seriously consider not renewing my season ticket if that was the case (although I would no doubt still get one in the end).

And put some bloody sides on the Family Stand....Its not like it would cut down the view of the pitch in the slightest....
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Fletch wrote: It best not be "an open sided concrete box" otherwise it will be a wind tunnel like the Family Stand....Fine in August to October, April and May but bloody freezing otherwise. I would seriously consider not renewing my season ticket if that was the case (although I would no doubt still get one in the end).

And put some bloody sides on the Family Stand....Its not like it would cut down the view of the pitch in the slightest....

...................and change the bloody roof on the Pop so we can get some damned atmosphere inside the ground ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Think this is good news that the club are planning to press ahead with the new grandstand,it is something that is badly needed if the club are to progress and move forward.

As for fans having to relocate,this may not be needed,went a few years ago with amate to watch Leeds,there new cantilever stand was not complete ,however the top half was and was safety signed off,and that part was opened and used before the bottom half was finished,if a section of the new granstand was finished and signed off for use before the start of the new season ,could it not be opened and used with our gates it would cause minimal fuss.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Southampton Gull wrote:

...................and change the bloody roof on the Pop so we can get some damned atmosphere inside the ground ;-)
Nooooo,gives us the away end :clap: :clap: please :-D
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

The open side I was referring to is the one that is a potential health hazard and in need of an immediate risk assessment.

Aye, the side that faces the pitch. :rofl:
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

I think we have to build the new grandstand to stay in the football league don't we?

I know a wimbledon supporter who is adament that if they get promoted, they have to have 2000 seats in the ground within 3 years according to FL regulations. Given our grandstand capacity is now just 745ish, I doubt we meet this and the end of next season would be our deadline.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

basil75 wrote:I think we have to build the new grandstand to stay in the football league don't we?

I know a wimbledon supporter who is adament that if they get promoted, they have to have 2000 seats in the ground within 3 years according to FL regulations. Given our grandstand capacity is now just 745ish, I doubt we meet this and the end of next season would be our deadline.
I thought that was the rule too, but there have never been 2000 seats at Accrington's ground. I think there are 1200 seats maximum in there, and its pretty much been like that since they got into the FL in 2006. Barnet I think are in a similar boat, although I'm not sure how their new(ish) stand at one end has boosted their numbers.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

basil75 wrote:I think we have to build the new grandstand to stay in the football league don't we?

These are the reasons for the rebuild and as stated in the Herald Express article, to bring the current structure up to the required regulations would be in itself expensive.

Naming the new stand after Mr A J Boyce or Mr P Bristow is fine by me. I just hope the club don't go down the road of renaming the ground for commercial reasons, an example would be THE FYFFES BANANAS STADIUM. :no:

COME ON YOU BANANAS just won't sit right with the Popside faithful.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Fletch »

Southampton Gull wrote:...................and change the bloody roof on the Pop so we can get some damned atmosphere inside the ground ;-)
Dave, next time you're down here have a look at the construction of each stand. To my (untrained) eye they look to be built the same. I suspect it's the length of the popside (compared to the away end) that means it sounds quieter. The same number of singers concentrated into a lesser area will always sound louder...Only way round it in my opinion is to have the away end and split the popside 70/30 ish and have the closest to the away end for away fans with entry through the (currently closed?) turnstiles in Marnham road by the police control box...
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Couldn't agree more with most of that mate although I think it's the width of the roof, not the length that's the problem.
Dave

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

The half time regulars who use Boots & Laces do realise that moving to the Babbacombe End means the end of said half time pleasures ? Or does it ? I'm taking no chances so will be staying on the Pop.

To improve the atmosphere on the Pop, 2000 regulars prepared to unite* and sing in unison* on said side would be ideal.

* this is not a subtle recruiting drive for two similar sounding Trade Unions. :no:

(Unite the better Union, join for as little as £11 per month) :engflag:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Tis all contained in the link below,think depends on when these regulations were brought in,as i should imagine they would only apply to teams promoted after they were brought in.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/regula ... 33_2128158

Not to sure the football league would go down the road of expelling any team who failed to comply with this,as the football league would have start promoting teams from the conference who have no chance of meeting this criteria.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Having just been to Accrington's shithole excuse for a ground, I think the Football League will have better places to start than Plainmoor if they're gonna start a witchhunt for technically unsuitable grounds. Maybe once Plymouth go under and the asset strippers move in, they might sell us one of their stands as a ready made replacement?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Fletch »

Southampton Gull wrote:Couldn't agree more with most of that mate although I think it's the width of the roof, not the length that's the problem.
Whilst Google Earth may not be the most accurate way of comparing the depth of the roof, they look pretty much the same in that respect as well. Must take a tape measure Tuesday :whistle:
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I think the 'fit and proper' rules are different for those clubs already in the League, compared to those trying to get into it. A club wouldn't be kicked out of the League if it didn't already 'meet the bar', but failing to 'meet the bar' might be enough to prevent promotion into it. Not that that is fair in any way.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."