Torquay United Favourites to Win The National League

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Torquay United Favourites to Win The National League

Post by portugull »

I looked at Oddschecker this morning and we are 5/6 Favourite with Sutton at 2/1 and Stockport at 8/1.

The bookies are rarely wrong but the result last night has made us a firm favourite to finish Top.

Roll on Saturday.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Hmmmm yes they are rarely wrong, but a lot could depend on the fitness and availability of players.

Warren may well be injured again and if Lewis is still injured we could be in major trouble.

The Bromley game has probably become the most important game of the season, more so than the Stockport fixture in two weeks time.

They are on good form and in the play off places but realistically we've got substantially more points than them throughout the season. The other teams around us have on paper easier fixtures as well so the pressure is likely to be on us at 5.20 pm.

Lest hope for some good news on the injury front, and what we really need is a performance that equals the Eastleigh one. Beat Bromley and I we've got a major chance, but I wouldn't take 5/6 before this match.
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

Before Notts Co v Sutton last night, Oddschecker had Sutton at evens and Torquay at 2/1, Stockport 9/1.
So the bookies will be wrong every time the favourite changes.

What's important to understand is that with so few games left the odds can change wildly. Hartlepool were 50/1 a couple of days ago and 9/1 last week.

I too like to follow the market Portugull, and take that as a generally better indicator than pundits and forum dwellers alike - but we've all been following Torquay long enough to know that this isn't going to be a shoo-in for TUFC over next 4 games. The boys are gonna have to work for every point, which they've been doing very well over the last 9 games.....
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

portugull wrote: 05 May 2021, 12:21
The bookies are rarely wrong but the result last night has made us a firm favourite to finish Top.
I feel like I've made this point a lot over the years, but the bookies very rarely take a position on an event. It's mostly down to weight of money. You can guarantee that if I rocked up to them and said "I want a million quid on stockport to win the league!" their odds would shorten dramatically, even though nothing - in a sporting sense - would have changed.

Well, except I'd now be £1m poorer, I suppose.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

Too hard to predict. What I think we probably mainly agree on it it's unlikely that any of the top 4 are going to win all of their games.

I went on the Sutton forum and they were thinking that if they won there next three games it would put them in a great place for our trip to Stockport. That's a big if on their form, plus it completely ignores that their next game is then against HArtleool who I think will beat them. Easy saying it, another thing to do it.

2 wins and a draw really might be enough. Bromley is a massive game. It's one of two games that the other teams will be hoping we drop points in. The other being Stockport. If we win Saturday, it gives us a buffer with the stockport result.

I can't stop thinking about it.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Bromley is the big game for me. Win that and I will start dreaming.

Sure we have to go to Stockport but pressure is on them and everyone else - plus they have won alot of games but occasionally throw up a duff result.

If we don't win Saturday, think its going to be difficult to finish top.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I watched Bromley v Chesterfield Highlights on You Tube last night. Bromley lost at Home 2-1 and look suspect in defence.

I agree with Brucie if we win on Saturday we will be even firmer favourites regardless of the other results.

Interestingly Stockport have no game on Sat but play Dagenham on Tuesday 11th May 4 days before they play United. The Daggers are on a roll.

Could we see an upset?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Gary always reckons , and he should know,
that 2 points a game wins the league so 8 points , 2 wins and 2 draws - 84 points Wouldn't be surprised if that's what does it.
Stockport on a great run but as Portugull says they have won 8 games out of 18 at home this season , in their last 5 at home they have beaten two of the pub teams who have given up - Wealdstone and Kings Lynn but failed to beat Hartlepool, Maidenhead and Bromley (all draws,) and we have the best away record in the league. No reason why we can't win there.
Graiser
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by Graiser »

Don’t balls it up now chaps, really looking forward to you getting back into the EFL, best wishes and knock em bandy!
Green Army