Cheltenham Reserves Game next week

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stratfordgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bobby O...oh no

Cheltenham Reserves Game next week

Post by stratfordgull »

Okay...it's my local game, it's a Tuesday afternoon when I'm working, so what reason is there not to go?

So I'm going, taking a Cheltenham supporting friend, plus one neutral......so is the crowd likely to be the three of us? Will they open the home stand for my mate, the away end for me? and if they do, I guess the neutral should stay in the bar? I reckon that will mean that they will also need three stewards if we're all at different sides of the ground....

Or if not at the ground, will they play in the park opposite, with jumpers for goalposts? Just don't know what to expect from this one. Has anyone been the away support at a reserve game that can help me?
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

there is no segregation. One stand will be open and that's it usually.
player2
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: mark ellis

Post by player2 »

What time is kick off for the reserves this Tuesday.
stratfordgull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by stratfordgull »

I think it is 2pm......
loyalgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by loyalgull »

Yes, it's 2pm. I'll be there (as study at Glos Uni). Hoping to see Hatch, Ellis, Halpin, Leadbitter etc get a game. Should be an interesting afternoon...
loyalgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by loyalgull »

Starting XI already named for this afternoon's game (from Herald Express)..

United Reserves (4-4-2): Rice; Leadbitter, Ellis, Rowe-Turner, Quinn; Macklin, Yeoman, Kudi, Halpin; Spear, Thompson. Substitutes to be named.

Fairly strong team, although no Hatch? Unless he is on the bench...

Looking forward to seeing Leadbitter and Halpin in particular.
lankyben
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by lankyben »

i spoke to jamie hatch yesterday he was saying that he isnt registered to play in the game as its a league match or something along those lines.
stratfordgull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by stratfordgull »

Match is at the Cheltenham 'Centre of Excellence' rather than the ground itself.......will struggle to make the kick-off but should be there from about 10 minutes in......
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

stratfordgull wrote:Match is at the Cheltenham 'Centre of Excellence' rather than the ground itself.......will struggle to make the kick-off but should be there from about 10 minutes in......
An oxymoron?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

7 (SEVEN) - 1 down after half an hour!!!!!!

I know it's not important but it is hugely disappointing that a side that includes quite a few of our pros (8 in total) is getting beat so easily,it really does make you wonder whether any of them are worthy of a place in the starting line up. Personally I'm not sure that we have much strength in depth ... despite Martin Ling's claims.

I know that there may be financial reasons behind his decision not to look at the loan market at this time but he did say the other week that there was room to bring in a loan signing or two if he needed to. If that is indeed the case then I can't understand his thinking in not adding to the squad at this time as personally I think we could do with a bit of freshening up and if for no no other reason that the fact that we are likely to be missing Ian Morris for a couple of months or so it would seem to make a lot of sense to me to think about bringing in another winger at least.

As for the rest of the squad you would think that this game was an ideal opportunity for the likes of Rice,Leadbitter, Ellis, LRT, Macklin and Halpin (not to mention Yeoman and Spear!) to stake a claim for a first team spot - but sadly it seems none of them are up for it !

I wonder whether Martin Ling wishes he hadn't said "“It will be a strong side, and I’ll be taking it," as clearly it isn't (it is only Cheltenham's Reserves after all) and he may have wished that he had stayed at home. The defeat (8-2) against Crawley the other week was totally understandable as basically we just put out a bunch of kids .... we really don't have that excuse today!
kbgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ashley Yeoman

Post by kbgull »

You cant be serious!!
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

kbgull wrote:You cant be serious!!
'fraid so!

Oh and by the way the second half has just kicked off and within a minute it's 8 (EIGHT) -1 ! I guess MLs half time rant didn't work then! :Oops: Apparently our defending (particularly it seems at corners) has been truly awful which is of major concern given that on paper at least it is the most experienced part of the team given that Rice, Leadbitter, Ellis and LRT are all on the fringes of the 1st team. It can't all be young Quinn's fault!!!!
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

We've managed to stem the tide a bit second half - they've only just managed to add another so 9-1 with less than 10 minutes to go!

Will be interested to hear Ling's comments about the performance today from the fringe players as to his (Ling's) credit he usually gives an honest assessment which is not something we've been used to in the last four years.

Personally, I fear that a few players (Ellis, LRT, Macklin and Halpin) seem to be either stalling in their careers or possibly even going backwards. Too early to judge young Leadbitter, but as for the rest of the team, I don't think the likes of Rice, Yeoman or Spear are ever going to make it as League players (although I would love to be proved wrong!) and from what I've seen of Quinn and Kudi I doubt they will either. Young Niall Thompson is probably the pick of the bunch so far as the Youth Team is concerned.

EDIT: FINISHED 9 (NINE) - 1 .... A very bad day at the office for those that played.
loyalgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by loyalgull »

Just got back from the game. Totally stuffed. I actually thought it was 10-1, not 9, but really, who cares?

3 of the back 4 are trying to stake a claim to be in the first team, well on this evidence they can dream on. About 5 of their goals in the first half came from completely free headers/tap in's.

Macklin was lazy, didnt track back anywhere near enough. Leadbitter beaten up-teen times by his man and LRT showed a lack of interest.

The only player to show any kind of skill was Halpin. He made our only goal and actually had a bit of purpose.

What really disappointed me though was Ling. He was just sat slumped in his chair all game. No encouragement, no comments, no instruction, nothing. Quite embarrassing when you looked at our "bench". Ling and Herrera sat looking like they were completely bored. Compare that to Cheltenham's...they were praising, instructing, managing.

We simply lack any depth and were completely outplayed and beaten easily.

Food for thought.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Not surprised. Our youth team is absolute crap and it's only to be expected. When you don't run a youth setup for 5/6 years like we didn't then any 16-18 year old worth his salt will be at Exeter/Plymouth/Yeovil etc. The ones that we have now of that age are the ones they didn't want.

Our youth team won't be anywhere near good enough for at least another 5 years minimum.

Although having said that 4 of the back 5 are first teamers so that's obviously a concern.