Chesterfield vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Chesterfield vs Torquay United

Post by Plymouth Gull »

B2net Stadium
Saturday 12th November 2011
KO: 3pm

So we're on our travels again this weekend, but on a different front as we take a break from league action. Chesterfield are our opponents for Saturdays 1st Round FA Cup tie. The Spireites haven't quite made the step up from League 2 to League 1 just yet, and they sit in the bottom 4 at this stage. The loss of talismanic striker Craig Davies seems to be a key factor in their early struggles, as they look like they've struggled to replace him thus far. They haven't won in their last 8 league games, although during that run they did progress in the Johnstones Paint Trophy. There hadn't been a home win at the b2net since 17th September, until last nights 4-3 victory over Tranmere in the Johnstones Paint Trophy. John Sheridan will be hoping to use Saturday as a game to continue to turn their fortunes around and dispell some of the negativity around the place, but hopefully we can play like we have been recently, and come home with something.

GULLS NEWS.

No injuries. Former Spireite Ian Morris got through 88 minutes of Tuesdays reserve game against Brighton, so he could be in line for a return, especially with Billy Bodin missing out due to International Duty.

THE OPPOSITION.

As I say above, John Sheridan is the main man at the b2net. He had a successful playing career, making over 600 appearances, including 200 for Leeds and another 200 for Sheffield Wednesday. He became the manager at the b2net in 2009.

On the pitch, the number 1 jersey goes to resident keeper Tommy Lee. However, I saw on here that Lee has been injured and may miss the game on Saturday, which would be good - as he had a good game against us at Plainmoor last season. Other goalkeeping options include youngster Greg Fleming, and Newcastle loanee Ole Soderberg, who joined the club a few weeks back.

In defence, there is several options. Jamie Lowry can play at right back, as can Neil Trotman, who joined the club on loan from Rochdale, with Dean Holden going the other way. On the other side, another loanee, in Jonathan Grounds, from Middlesborough played there on Tuesday night. Aaron Downes and Nathan Smith completed Wednesdays back four, so it could be possible that they will play there again on Saturday. Other defensive options include Simon Ford and Gregor Robertson. Young right back recently joined Macclesfield on loan.

In the midfield, and Sheridan has numerous choices here. Captain Dwayne Mattis plays the holding role well - he can also play at centre back if needed to, as he did in the game at the b2net last season. Mark Allott and Danny Whitaker like to attack from midfield, Whitaker being one of the best players of the season in League 2 last year, as he hit double figures (I think). Mark Randall, a youngster released by Arsenal, and loanee Lee Johnson provide cover in the middle of the park. On the wings, Craig Westcarr has scored a few since joining from Notts County. Frenchman Alexandre Mendy hit one goal in the Tranmere game last night, and has been on the scoresheet a couple of times this season. Dean Morgan can also play on the wing, aswell as upfront, and he has a lot of pace. Another option is Drew Talbot, who caused alot of problems for us at the b2net last year. Other options in the midfield are Tendayi Darwika and Craig Clay.

Finally, upfront, and the main man who has gone some way to replacing the hole left by Davies is Leon Clarke, who had a 11-day spell at Swindon before falling out with Di Canio. He has hit 8 goals for Chesterfield since joining on loan. Spireites legend Jack Lester is another who can always find the net, and he has been doing so for many years now. Jordan Bowery has scored 4 goals in his last 2 games, which could be a sign of him finally showing some potential, as I believe he has flattered to deceive for many years now. Finally, another loanee, Tope Obedeyi is on loan from Bolton. He can either play on the wing or upfront.

HOW THEY LINED UP.

The line up from last night is as follows:

Soderberg

Downes
Smith
Mattis
Grounds

Mendy
Johnson
Talbot
Westcarr

Bowery
Obedeyi

Subs: Ford, Fleming, Whitaker, Allott, Clay.

PREDICTION

I think it'll either be a narrow home win, or we'll get a replay.

COYY.

-----------

Apologies for the shortish one for this one, just wanted to get it up.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

NickGull wrote:B2net Stadium

Apologies for the shortish one for this one, just wanted to get it up.

Erm, come again!? Haha! :~D
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Bit of a lad is our Nick :rofl: , anyway on to the match, seriously think the team can win this one, Chesterfield were a vey good side last season and worthy Champions, however there have not found life in league 1 easy, and there form is not great.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

:Oops:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Reading our local rag the Derbyshire Times, Chesterfield manager John Sheridan seems to be shrugging off the possibility of defeat on saturday and going to press stating his pleasure in 'having a home draw against a lower league club'. It would appear that he may also not put out his strongest 11. Both the mindset of the manager AND the squad he puts out could have a negative effect on Chesterfields performance in this game and indeed the result. Newcastle loanee Ole Soderberg will be keeper in the absence of Tommy Lee. He has looked really shaky conceding 5 in two and making a howler for one of the Tranmere goals last night. If we can test him then who knows. He looks well short of confidence and lacking in experience of lower league football. As our Booby will testify, its not a bed of roses compared to chillin in a Premier league reserve team. Neal Trotman on loan from Rochdale featured in the draw v Yeovil and has not settled in yet and former England U20 winger and Bolton loanee Tope Obadeyi might get a start, he played last night. Drew Talbot may feature after missing the Tranmere game due to his daughters birth. Sheridan hopes to 'harness their class (the players) to defeat the league two outfit' but looking through their squad i don't see the class that he is proclaiming they have. All in all i think we will do well to draw but having said that if we play like we did at Crewe then we have a great chance of winning. They can be a direct physical side and like to attack the ball in the air too so we need Saah and Ellis at the back to stand firm and others to get bodies back when need be. The Derbyshire Times has a little piece on Ian Morris ( he played for the spireites last season) saying he could be on the bench. I know he came through 88 minutes v Brighton reserves the other day so it would be good if he could start. I don't believe Stevens has the quality to trouble Chesterfield and maybe Morris can do the age old trick of playing well/scoring against former clubs , although when Gritts came on as sub for us last season at the B2NET after leaving Chesterfield he played SHITE! i'M going for a 2-0 loss sadly. There will be a minutes silence at the game for Remeberance Day.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

The key to this game, for me, is for our 'big guns' to be firing. We have players who can play at Chesterfields level (and above) so if we can get them playing well, we can win the match. Eunan would run rings round a poor L1 side, hell, he'd hold his own against poor Championship sides. Rene also will be key (not Kee), if he can get the ball to his feel and do his stuff, there's no reason we won't score. Other form players such as Nico, Manse, Ellis and Lathrope play well and we could beat this lot, no doubt.

I ALWAYS suggest that a top L2 side is a mid-table L1 side (Stevenage anyone?) We are, at the moment, a top 7 L2 side (form counts, it's crazy to suggest it doesn't, because it does), play as if we mean it and L1 relegation candidates hold little threat.

Plus, since no one else has lobbed this into the pot and its a classic, this is the FA Cup, anything could happen.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Chesterfield are 4/5 to win, so slightly odds on but the bookies aren't convinced it would seem. We are 13/5 and 12/5 the draw with ladbrokes. I still think we will lose as i have never seen us win ( or score ) at Chesterfield but hope i'm wrong.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

NickGull wrote:just wanted to get it up.

:O
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

well its a gorgeous day here in south yorkshire, where i live in south sheffield is about a mile from the border with derbyshire and about 12 from the ground. so conditions look perfect for the game today

there cant be many teams (any teams?) with as good a record as over the last three games can there? recent meetings against the spireites have been tight in the away games. the ones i've been to have all been 1-0 defeats. today i dont think we'll lose or concede, but whether we'll manage a goal ourselves is a differnt matter, so i'm going 0-0 or 0-1 to us. fingers crossed

my first match of the season, getting pretty excited now, on 1220 bus so should be in the derby tup by one for a few settlers!! solo mission today, as my 3 usual companions have all mysteriously found summat else to do, the magic of the fa cup truly has vanished!! did i read that the prices are dropped to £15 for todays game, thats a fiver more in my beer fund!!

enjoy the game
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

safely on bus. just heard billy bodin out, anyone know why? was looking forward to seeing him too
still keeping the faith
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

bixieupnorth wrote:safely on bus. just heard billy bodin out, anyone know why? was looking forward to seeing him too
International duty I believe. Think there will be only one goal in it. 0-1 Gulls.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Morris in for Bodin, the only change from the Crewe starting line up.

Torquay
01 Olejnik
03 Nicholson
04 Ellis
06 Saah
18 Oastler
07 Mansell
10 O'Kane
19 Stevens
22 Lathrope
09 Howe
11 Morris
Substitutes
13 Rice, 02 Rowe-Turner, 05 Robertson, 12 Leadbitter, 16 McPhee, 14 Macklin, 23 Atieno
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

good afternoon to you all,are we all ready for another assault on this great cup :lol: :lol: anyway feel we will come away with a narrow 2 1 today :goal: :goal: CMON YOU YELLOWS,morris to net a winner on his return
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

3-0 to Torquay with a Dorothy hat trick (one in off his arse, the back of his head and a miskicked backheel). :no:
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Afternoon everyone, slightly late due to central heating repairs, radiator renewal.

Anyone know how to stop a tiny leak at the angle joint? apart from PTFE tape? (done that already 3 times :-/ )