Fleetwood Town v Torquay United - 18/8/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Fleetwood match day thread

Post by lucy6lucy »

Is anyone going to start a match day thread for Saturday? As we have waited neally 3 months suprised we have no post with less than 2 days until the new season
Lucy
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Here we go again, the start of what promises to be another rollercoaster with more twists and turns along the way. Saint Martin has done his business ( not literally - that would be hideous ) and assembled another squad thought capable of troubling the play offs once more. Indeed some of you believe we can actually atone for last seasons bitter disappointment and finish in the top 3. The Gulls face the Cod Army at the Highbury Stadium in Fleetwood on saturday in what promises to be a tough but i think, entertaining game. It will be their first ever game as a football league club so all the more poignant for them but they will know there is no room for sentiment.

They have some money, we all know that, they have some quality, we all know that too and they have a dull town, we also know that BUT i reckon we can beat them despite them being my tip for the title. They have 'THE BEAST' Jon Parkin up top who will a physical and aerial threat and they have ex Colchester striker Steve Gillespie who i rate very highly. I expect them to go gung-ho and if we play our way out from the back i think we can hit them on the counter.

I'm curious of who Lingy is going to select for the starting 11 and i hope it's the right one. I'm going for a 2-1 Gulls win.

Tickets are available on the day at £15 and i spoke to the lady at Torquay on wednesday and she said she had sent them back to Fleetwood as they'd only sold 20! I hope there will be more of us than that!! I'm hoping to bump into a few of you, some of whom i have already met a bit like Scottish Dom and Gaz and Ben ( we'll have to get the Partridge repertoire going Ben, i reckon any sentence you say i can follow with the next! ) :nod: and hopefully i'll meet some more of you.

Either way i shall make my way to the back of the stand and give it 110% vocals for 90+ minutes. I'll be in colours and f**king bouncing. ( after i've had my pie obviously, i'm not morbidly obese................................yet). :lol:

Sorry the OP is a bit shit and a bit threadbare but i've been busy and not had time to do much research. COYY!!!!!! :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Our Austrian superfan Andy has just started one!!
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

My season starts on Saturday too so I'm sadly missing this one, the rents are however heading oop north for it though so i'll get a full run down from them when they get home Saturday evening!!

I dont think the starting formation will be any different from that of last season, 4-1-5-1. Obvious notable changes will be Poke in goal, Downes at CB, ? with Manse in the middle and Bodin on one wing with Mackers or Stevens (depending on fitness) on the other side.

I don't think Lingy will be changing a strategy that worked for us last season unless it isn't having any impact.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Looking forward to this one - new ground and all that plus it's good to get one of these long trips out of the way early in the season.

Not too sure how confident I am of a result though - would take a point right now.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

I'd say the only reason theyve sold 20 is because they posted the fact they had tickets to sell on the Monday!

Very tough game. Theyve signed some excellent players for this level and this will be the game which will show how close we are to a team expected to be going for promotion.
GazTheGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: ...

Post by GazTheGull »

tufc si wrote:My season starts on Saturday too so I'm sadly missing this one, the rents are however heading oop north for it though so i'll get a full run down from them when they get home Saturday evening!!

I dont think the starting formation will be any different from that of last season, 4-1-5-1. Obvious notable changes will be Poke in goal, Downes at CB, ? with Manse in the middle and Bodin on one wing with Mackers or Stevens (depending on fitness) on the other side.

I don't think Lingy will be changing a strategy that worked for us last season unless it isn't having any impact.
I'm quite sure that if we play 4-1-5-1, we should beat them :lol:

Gonna miss this one, won't stop me listening to it though and catching up with them.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Bodin will certainly come into the side moving Morris inside meaning Easton is sub, he may even select Macklin on the other side with Jarvis dropping out but I imagine that depends on how fit Macklin actually is. Rest of the side picks itself and we'll lose 2-0.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Hopefully Jarvis and Easton are dropped, with Macklin and Bodin on the wings, moving Morris inside. If we play as well as we know we can, then a 1-0 win, if not, then lose 2-0/3-1
The gulls are going up
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Not that I was there so can't comment with any authority, but I was under the impression that Lathrope didn't have the greatest game on Tuesday? Could he potentially be the one who misses out, with us starting with Mansell - Easton - Morris in midfield?
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

Why is everyone convinced Morris should move into central midfield. He has had 12 months and not shown anything to reccommend him as anything more than a sub. Personally Mansell Easton and Lathrope in the centre for me although without a player of Eunans ability in there we may struggle with just one striker. I know 4-3-3 has worked well but we need to be flexible depending on the players available to us and the standard of the opposition.
This is going to be a tough game but the lads have shown before that they can go away and surprise the big boys of the division. A draw would be a good start with 2 home games to follow but hopefully Fleetwood will suffer from First Night Nerves.
Tust member 191
manchestergulls
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: alex russell

Post by manchestergulls »

we will be going to this match, really looking forward to this season, again nobody gives us a chance of anything this season so we can play with out pressure and get a good start............ yellow army
http://www.facebook/manchestergulls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
follow me on twitter @manchestergull
take me home to place where i belong, down at plainmoor to see united, take me home the torquay road.........
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Exciting times. May seems so long ago. :scarf:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Must be something to do with the name Matt, since I agree with Puma, Morris has done absolutely nothing to suggest that he is any kind of replacement for Eunan. Nathan Craig on the other hand...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Will be a tough opener for us. I'm hoping with the 0-4 humbling earlier in the week, we'll show some bouncebackability and start the season in winning fashion.

Head says 2-1 Torquay
Heart says 1-1, which wouldn't be a bad result to start the new season.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!