Morecambe v Torquay United - 20/4/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Morecambe v Torquay United - 20/4/13

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Frig me. It's all over! We've beaten Barnet and after an evening of severe thoracic discomfort caused by shouting and drinking and making my body gurn in my own living room whilst staring at a BET365 page for an hour and a half, we will now be safe.

Tonight was the acid test and we passed, not with flying colours but with yellow colours and if i don't see 500 of us up at Morecambe on saturday then i'll bloody well go and kiss a man!

This thread is a bit weird as the latter bit i did a few days ago and it looks ordered but this bit is a bit rushed and a mish mash and i make no apologies, i've had a skinful, i'm celebration and i can't be arsed to fanny around constructing elaborate stories based on the game. Hope you don't mind but i wanted to get the thread up asap so people could get the build up going for saturday as i'm wetting my briefs thinking about it. Can't f*cking wait to be honest. Yes i do wear briefs, not because i'm over 50 (i,m 36) and not because i'm hung like a mountain gorilla ( i'm hung like a vole ) but because they were 3 for a quid on York market and at that price i'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, even if i'm not hung like one. Plus i can soil myself in them at Torquay games, throw them away and buy some more and still not be out of pocket! Everyones a winner really, the economy benefits as i'm spending money and i get an adult disposable nappy. Backofthenet!

Anyway, enough of the sh*t, i'm going to this and i can't wait, i'm actually still a bit ill and i'm going away the next day but i'm going and i'll sing and sing and sing until i sound like i could go on The Voice and then i'll stop. We need as many fans ploughing up the M5/M6 as poss for one last push as win this and we can almost relax for the Brizzle game.

I don't care how we win this game but we need to somehow. Win this and it's all over, we are safe and the tears can flow, not for me though as i'm from Yorkshire and we only cry in instances like tonight when i have to part with money. The Austrian in me never cries either unless i watch the Sound of Music or alternatively i get locked in a cellar for 8 years.

I'VE BEEN EXPECTING YOU MR BOND..................is what we should say to the ref, he is Darren Bond.

I'm going madforritourkid for this and i can't wait, oh and Ben, don't forget the merchandise again mate. Do you sell PEZ too?

ANDY'S TOWN OF THE DAY: MORECAMBE

Ah, the genteel Victorian seaside resort that is Morecambe, situated on the sweeping shifting sands of Morecambe Bay and at the mouth of the River Lune. A place much revered and much visited during it's heyday as a bustling coastal town with attractions aplenty and now, like many of our smaller seaside resorts such as Cleethorpes, Hornsea, Rhyl and Skegness, now showing distinct signs of decay and neglect as the modern day holidaymakers and daytrippers seek out more salubrious and exciting resorts.

Morecambe still has a lot to offer if you are looking for a quiet stroll along bracing sands and to relax with an ice cream overlooking the Irish Sea and to the foothills of the Lake District in the distance, but that's as far as it goes so not surprisingly the most frequent visitors are of the older generation. The thrill seekers head further on down the Lancashire coast taking with them their money.

The town centre is standard, a small compact affair as you might expect serving a population of just 38,917 has the usual look of cheapo shops selling household and personal wares as well as the Arndale Shopping Centre. Sadly like my town Chesterfield and many others in this age of out of town retail parks, there isn't much in the centre to make you want to visit OR indeed keep you in there when you do.

So all in all i'd recommend taking in the seafront for a while, possibly grab something to eat and a few drinks and then head off to the football ground.

Famous sons and daughters of the town are the legendary comic Eric Morecambe who used the name of the town instead of his birth name Bartholomew. Along with partner Ernie Wise, they had a long and successful career in British Television spanning 3 decades and some of their Christmas episodes drew viewing figures of over 28 million people. A memorial statue of the famous son showing Eric in a familiar pose was sculpted by Graham Ibbeson and erected on the promenade in 1999 by The Queen.

Others include Last Of The Summer Wine actress Thora Hird, Helen Worth who plays Gail Platt in Coronation Street and renowned animal portrait artist William Woodhouse (1857 - 1939 ).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE GLOBE ARENA

Morecambe left their old ground Christie Park which had been their home for 89 years and moved into the new purpose built Globe Arena in 2010. The stadium gets it's name from the construction company that built it and would be perfect it it weren't for the bizarre terrace running down one side of the pitch. Opposite this terrace is the Peter McGuigan Stand named after the chairman and by far the grandest and it is where we were housed on my first visit there in 2011 when we were stuck on the end in the seats and they closed the terrace.

I've not been back since but apparently we were given the terrace the last time we were there and with a greater number of travelling Gulls expected then i fully expect them to give us the terrace again, or the Bay Radio Terrace to give it it's proper title. My experience of the ground was one of passiveness, take it or leave it. It was ok but nothing special certainly not for a new build, nothing in the New York Stadium mould.

You can park on the streets around the stadium but there is no car parking at the club itself. In addition it has also been mentioned that you can park in the adjacent Regents Caravan Holiday Park for a small fee but don't quote me on that and last time i was there you were able to park at a nearby school for a small fee too. Also at the holiday park you can grab a drink as they allow away fans in there. There is a Toby carvery at the Shrimp roundabout just before you turn off to go down Westgate to get to the ground but i warn you, i went 2 years ago and it was rank even for a fiver or so i complained. Vile food, unclean cutlery and glasses and the clientele were a heavy mixture of old people and white van men in dirty overalls. Best go to the seafront, grab some fish and chips and get hammered in a boozer than chance food poisoning at that hole.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TICKETS & TRAVEL:

The O/S has said that seating has been made available to us in the main stand but they don't say if this is IN ADDITION to the terrace, or INSTEAD of the terrace, really clear that lads, cheers for the helpful info on that. :no: . It says that the tickets are £19 for adults and as that it way to expensive for an away terracing price i'm concerned that they aren't going to give us the terrace. If they stick us in the terrace it could get pretty ugly as they will vastly underestimate the number of fans travelling IMO and it could be trouble.

Anyway, adults are £19, over 65/s and students are £15, under 19's £6 and under 5's FREE, i might try and get into a conversation with the ticket seller and then i might get in for FREE!! :) :)

Travel for adults on the big yellow fun bus WHICH SHOULD BE FREE!!!! is £ 35 adults and £ 17.50 for under 12's. Contact 07861 907090 to get a seat booked.

GET THE FREE COACHES LAID ON TORQUAY AND STOP BEING SO F*CKING TIGHT!!!!!!!! :@ :@ :@ :@

EVERYONE TRY YOUR BEST TO MAKE THIS AND LET'S MAKE IT A DAY BY THE SEA TO REMEMBER!!

COYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scarf:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Preview on main site, everyone.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Cheers Nick. :-D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

They have stuck us in two blocks of seats which they reckon hold up to 300 fans. Will we take more than this or not do you guys reckon? It could be a tight squeeze on the day perhaps or maybe i'm greatly over-estimating the number of Gulls that are making the trip.
Last edited by AustrianAndyGull on 18 Apr 2013, 10:15, edited 2 times in total.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Add on 2 from Wigan. Surely we will be close if not exceed 300. If we Do take more than 300 does this mean we will be turned away from away end or is there the capacity to give us more
Lucy
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

The club will have officials outside the turnstiles giving fans a voucher which will allow us to redeem it back at Plainmoor and get £5 back, which is a nice touch. With the letter last night and now this you can already sense the club is trying harder to show its appreciation to the fans.

Also I think we could take anywhere between 300-500. I'd assume they would just open the terrace?! I would be absolutely fuming if they turned us away.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

What do you mean Nick? You mean £5 off our next ticket or a fiver in cash? You're right mate, there will be chaos if they turn us away and leave the terrace unopened. I can see at least 300 turning up, there was nearly 150 at Rochdale and Accrington when we were shocking so at the very least 300 for this one.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 76759.aspx

So basically we'll get a voucher, then on your next trip to Plainmoor you redeem it for a fiver. Maybe not so good for people who can't make it to Plainmoor often but it's a nice touch anyway.

I honestly think we'll have more than they think here. I mean, I think we had 450 odd at Carlisle for the penultimate game in 2006!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Yes Nick, it is a welcome idea. I also think they have vastly underestimated the numbers that are likely to turn up, after all, win and we're safe.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

AldershotvDag & Red

BarnetvWycombe

Bristol RoversvAccrington

GillinghamvWimbledon

MorecambevTorquay

PlymouthvRotherham

YorkvSouthend

Big set of games with a lot of our rivals at home!

Time not to p*ss away lasts nights result and secure our football league status!!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I'm offering £3 to anyone who gets a voucher but can't redeem it by the expiry date.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

ferrarilover wrote:I'm offering £3 to anyone who gets a voucher but can't redeem it by the expiry date.

Matt.
You can have mine for nowt Matt if i can't get down to Plainmoor before the expiry date ( which is when? do we know yet? ). I'd say if the expiry date was within the next 4 months then i've no chance of redeeming it so you can have mine sunshine. :~D
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Expiry date is end of May

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

I'm VERY tempted to go to this, what's the supporters coach usually like?
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I will not be at the match but I tell you what would be amazing for the yellow army to do is a good old rain dance - just to rub it in Barnet's face that little bit more and also to create a bit of atmosphere!

Incidentally - it seems as Manse was more than struggling to be fit for Saturday as well! Does anybody what to inform the Barnet fans of this??!!!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/