Everybody has a price - but when do we cash in?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Everybody has a price - but when do we cash in?

Post by Richinns »

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 28,00.html

Of-course what Bucks says is true, but the loss and gain now has to be weighed up carefully.

The importance of the Crawley game is massive to our club.

Should we win - the financial benefits could be greater than selling a couple of players now.
Should we lose and not sell - the financial gamble might very well be a very bad choice for the club.
Should we sell and lose - Crawley could get a plumb draw in the next round - we forever will think 'what if'.

Of-course we could sell and win but will we then regret letting these players go when possibly we could be in a position to keep them and progress as a football club

What choice is best for the club? A real dilemma
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The choice is simple, if we get an offer that is acceptable to the Club then we sell. I think Bucks fancies himself in the tranfer market, so if we sell at a valuation we are happy with then give the money to him, I'm sure he'll spend it wisely. John Milton is an excellent judge of players and with his help I think we can maintain the kind of team we have at present.

If we were to win the tie with Crawley and make some serious money then all things look a lot rosier.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Southampton Gull wrote:The choice is simple, if we get an offer that is acceptable to the Club then we sell. I think Bucks fancies himself in the tranfer market, so if we sell at a valuation we are happy with then give the money to him, I'm sure he'll spend it wisely. John Milton is an excellent judge of players and with his help I think we can maintain the kind of team we have at present.

If we were to win the tie with Crawley and make some serious money then all things look a lot rosier.

So what prices would you put as acceptable?

My estimates:
Benyon - £100,000
Ellis - £150,000
O'kane - £180,000

I would not sell below those figures.

EDIT: Changed back to normal to rectify SNW's mistake!! :)
TUST member 328
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I would agree with those figures and would hope we could come up with some very good young prospects for substantially less. That doesn't mean I want to see them sold though, especially in O'Kane's case as he's the best player to watch in a Torquay shirt since the days of Graham and Russell, worth the entrance fee on his own.
Dave

Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Totally agree about O'Kane. He has a big future but would be nice to see him in a Torquay shirt for a little while longer yet. Shame the Crawley game is not sooner so we could have all options open but the fact thatn it is at the end of january may force us to sell before this if the right offer/s come in.
TUST member 328
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Richinns wrote:

My estimates:
Benyon - £150,000
Ellis - £300,000
O'kane - £400,000

There's mine. I know it's a lot more than what you said, but Ellis is one of the better centre halfs in League 2, O'Kane could be an incredible player given more time.

I was told today from someone who works at Exeter, that their chairman is worried about losing Liam Sercombe soon, and says that he thinks Sercombe could be their first million pounds sale.

I've said before, we mustn't get mugged off if we need to sell.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

All most as important - if we do agree to sell, we get a bloody good percentage of any sell on fee.
TUST member 328
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Considering we've got a fairly good board at the moment, I would imagine they have budgeted for no sales, so as long as we continue as we are, we should be able to keep hold of them within the budget. If we win against Crawley and get a decent team in the 5th round, we could really be holding out for some big money for these players.

If we lose to Crawley - Richinns figures.
If we beat Crawley and get a big team - Nick's figures.
If we beat Crawley and get a mediocre Championship team who we lose to - somewhere in the middle.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

If we beat Crawley and get another crap draw (Burton, Stevenage etc at home) in the 5th Round, then we would have a chance of advancing to the 6th Round. :O

I hope none of our players are transferred, no matter what the price.

Oh all right then, but don't listen to offers below £1,000,000 and that is each, not for the trio, and does not include further payments for appearances, sell ons, international appearances . . . :O
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Richinns wrote:

My estimates:
Benyon - £100,000
Ellis - £150,000
O'kane - £180,000

im led to believe theres a better offer than that on the table for o'kane...................... ;-)

my fellow posters, i added that bit and then duly messed up the post! :Oops:

but thats what ive been told...................
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

The Crawley game has really complicated this for me. can we afford to sell anybody before this game. Can't really see it myself. 19 professionals and precious little back up. We can ill afford any injuries to key players or indeed to let anybody go before the Cup Tie. If we can get our full team on the pitch I am convinced we have too much particularly going forward for big billy bollocks Crawley.
However if we go in without any of our big guns we are going out.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Super,
When you say "better", do you mean 'of greater monetary value'?
I'm not taking the piss, my point is this: I have absolutely no doubt that, given his obvious inate talent, Eunan will be a seven-figure (and not necessarily beginning with a 1) transfer one day soon enough. A better deal for me would be to accept £150,000 today, but get a seriously chunky sell on clause, possibly over his next TWO transfers. So, we get 25% of his move from Brighton to QPR, then 10% of his move from QPR to Man Utd or Real Madrid or whoever.

This seems to me to be a win win.If we are still here in L2 (no bad place to be), it might well give us the cash to mount a decent automatic promotion push. If we've gone up, it will give us the money to make a good stab at staying up and, God forbid, we have gone down, we can do a Crawley and buy the Conference title.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

ferrarilover wrote:Super,
When you say "better", do you mean 'of greater monetary value'?
I'm not taking the piss, my point is this: I have absolutely no doubt that, given his obvious inate talent, Eunan will be a seven-figure (and not necessarily beginning with a 1) transfer one day soon enough. A better deal for me would be to accept £150,000 today, but get a seriously chunky sell on clause, possibly over his next TWO transfers. So, we get 25% of his move from Brighton to QPR, then 10% of his move from QPR to Man Utd or Real Madrid or whoever.
This seems to me to be a win win.If we are still here in L2 (no bad place to be), it might well give us the cash to mount a decent automatic promotion push. If we've gone up, it will give us the money to make a good stab at staying up and, God forbid, we have gone down, we can do a Crawley and buy the Conference title.Matt.
Matt, I seem to remember that sell on clauses carry on for further transfers. eg we get 30% clause inserted into 1st transfer (150k) of anything over original transfer fee. He then moves the following year for 300k (selling club get 25% clause written in) and we get 30% of 150k. He then moves again 2 years later to Man City for 5 mill (heres hoping!) and we get 30% of the 25% that the club we sold him to gets...Thats my understanding (wheres that confused icon gone) :S :S