Niall Thompson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Niall Thompson

Post by MidDevon »

Good to see him score on his debut for Worcester City today......but the fact he played in an FA Cup match , means he is cup tied.

Perhaps I am reading too much into this, but it would indicate to me that he does not figure in first team plans for this campaign?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I don't know, so this could well be a load of old shit (go on, one of you) but today's game was a qualifier, are they subject to different 'cup tie' regulations?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

ferrarilover wrote:I don't know, so this could well be a load of old sh*t (go on, one of you) but today's game was a qualifier, are they subject to different 'cup tie' regulations?

Matt.
No. He is cup-tied.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Oh, okay, that's a shame. Still one fringe winger missing is hardly the end of the world. I'd guess then, Mid, that no, he's not necessarily key to Knilly's plans. How concerned are you?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

He's still really young. Nothing went wrong. He's doing fine.

If he didn't have a spell in the first team last season you'd all be saying how great it is he got a loan spell at a BSN club and is playing well. Still very much a prospect for us.

Yeoman, on the other hand...
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Seeing as we haven't had a good cup run for some time I don't think the fact Niall is cup tied being of major concern. Much better that he is getting game time and confidence.

A successful loan spell should benefit everyone.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Gullscorer wrote:Not that long ago he was one of Torquay's young bright hopes. What went wrong?
Knill was appointed, & showed little interest in the young players already at the club.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Gullscorer wrote:Not that long ago he was one of Torquay's young bright hopes. What went wrong?
So we get someone with blistering pace and a talent to be brought through and we never play him and now let him go out on loan to Worcester City. Another one bites the dust then, we won't be seeing Thomson pulling on a Gulls shirt again. I don't know if he had any attitude problems as has been levelled but I do know that he has things that at our level aren't easy to get hold of and he has had them chucked back in his face IMO. All this bullsh*t about young players learning the ropes so to speak really gets on my t*ts. He is a footballer who wants to play, if he is 18 or 38 what the f*ck does it matter?!!

So Knill is saying (IMO) that Thommo isn't good enough for TUFC and so ships him out to Worcester because he cannot get rid of him yet. This is the same bloke who signed Courtney Cameron by the way. Has he got eyes like SpongeBob or something because I don't quite think he is seeing things properly.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

wodger of awabia wrote: Knill was appointed, & showed little interest in the young players already at the club.
Gave yeoman a contract, Dan Sullivan makes his league debut in our second league game, Mckenzie is third choice CB. Got a feeling it's almost the opposite of what you said.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Kit_robin wrote: Gave yeoman a contract, Dan Sullivan makes his league debut in our second league game, Mckenzie is third choice CB. Got a feeling it's almost the opposite of what you said.
Could have done with a 2nd choice one though, especially for times like this. :-/
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:
... we won't be seeing Thomson pulling on a Gulls shirt again.

So Knill is saying (IMO) that Thommo isn't good enough for TUFC and so ships him out to Worcester because he cannot get rid of him yet. .
Time will tell, obviously, but I don't think either of those things are particularly true.

I think most people, knill included, see a lot of raw ability in Thompson. His issue is just that, it's very raw! I've seen him play both first team games and reserve fixtures and although he always carries a threat, he is also very naive during games. I don't think that's through lack of effort or anything, but he sometimes expends effort in the wrong areas.

The best way to cute this problem is to actually play games of football, and you either play him in te first team and wait for the improvement or send him out on loan. I think Knill has made the right choice, as we have a lot of other young players and a misfiring centre midfield combination; to gamble on Thompson may be a step too far. If we had a solid, settled midfield and forward line, then you may just play Thompson to make him less green.

If all works out we should receive a more experienced winger on his return, and that can only be a good thing.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

EddUK12 wrote:Didnt Knill say that Thompson has shown him what he can do in preseason and he likes what he sees but Thompson needs to do it all the time to be of use to any one.
I think thats the reason he needs games at lower level to prove he can do it consistantly.

The same reason Ball got loaned out to us from Derby

Please forgive me anyone who I bore yet again with this but, errrr doesn't he play Bodin every bloody week ? How many goals is it this season so far? Apologies for this but it is just to highlight the unfairness in Edds statement and not so I can have a go at Billy again.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

AustrianAndyGull wrote: Could have done with a 2nd choice one though, especially for times like this. :-/
Heh!

I meant downes and Pearce were one and two... Change what I said originally to "first reserve" if that makes it clearer! :)
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Interested enough in Yeoman to send him off to Bideford which I.M.O. will not benefit him. Lost Interest in Morris & Oastler instead of trying to improve them.