Michael Poke

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

Michael Poke

Post by CP Gull »

I notice that Michael Poke has now added his name to the PFA transfer list along with Lee Mansell.

http://www.thepfa.com/transferlist

It would suggest to me that neither are happy with what we are offering and both are keen to try and find a better offer elsewhere. Of course, whether anything is forthcoming is another matter and they still have another 10 days or so to make their minds up on our offer before it expires. The very fact that none of the out of contract players, bar Yeoman, have signed new deals suggest to me that they aren't too happy with their re-engagement terms but until or unless they have a firm offer on the table elsewhere that is better than ours they need to think very carefully before turning our deal down.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

CP Gull wrote:I notice that Michael Poke has now added his name to the PFA transfer list along with Lee Mansell.

http://www.thepfa.com/transferlist

It would suggest to me that neither are happy with what we are offering and both are keen to try and find a better offer elsewhere. Of course, whether anything is forthcoming is another matter and they still have another 10 days or so to make their minds up on our offer before it expires. The very fact that none of the out of contract players, bar Yeoman, have signed new deals suggest to me that they aren't too happy with their re-engagement terms but until or unless they have a firm offer on the table elsewhere that is better than ours they need to think very carefully before turning our deal down.
Coupled with his horrendous injury record, who would take the risk.
Lucy
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I may be in the minority, but I actually hope he goes.

He didn't have a great season at all, and in fact since he signed for us permanently he's not looked anything like as good as he did in his first spell. I imagine he is on quite a wage when compared to Ricey, but given Ricey's development over the last season Poke no longer represents value for money anymore.

Ricey will be a capable number 1 next season. Not the best, but good enough as a solid conference player. Two senior keepers is a luxury we don't need and most likely can't afford.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Jeff wrote:I may be in the minority, but I actually hope he goes.

He didn't have a great season at all, and in fact since he signed for us permanently he's not looked anything like as good as he did in his first spell. I imagine he is on quite a wage when compared to Ricey, but given Ricey's development over the last season Poke no longer represents value for money anymore.

Ricey will be a capable number 1 next season. Not the best, but good enough as a solid conference player. Two senior keepers is a luxury we don't need and most likely can't afford.
Not that Rice has signed yet, either. Wouldn't be too bothered about either keeper going.
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

I don't think you are in the minority, Jeff. Pokey has served us very well over the years but I have been concerned this last season about a hesitancy that has crept into his game. I never thought I would say this but Ricey has been the better keeper this last season, in my opinion. Rice has been much better in 1-on-1 situations and stands up much better than Poke. Both are decent shot stoppers but struggle dealing with crosses. However Poke, unlike Rice, has made some very costly mistakes this last season. Most notably the huge home match against Northampton when he was hesitant dealing with both Northampton's early goals - if he was positive he could have got to those through balls first (I had a very good view of them sat behind the goal). And THAT kick away at Chesterfield when we winning at the time and may have gone on to get an unlikely win.
harrytorquay101
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Billy Bodin

Post by harrytorquay101 »

I think Poke is most likely to be on double the wage bracket that Ricey's on. Although it would be great to have 2 senior keepers, I would be quite happy with Ricey and that Dan Lavercombe as a back up, as he won youth player of the year. This would then free up the cash to help get players like Cureton, Agyemang or Calvin Andrew or whoever... that's where the money should be going
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

harrytorquay101 wrote:I think Poke is most likely to be on double the wage bracket that Ricey's on. Although it would be great to have 2 senior keepers, I would be quite happy with Ricey and that Dan Lavercombe as a back up, as he won youth player of the year. This would then free up the cash to help get players like Cureton, Agyemang or Calvin Andrew or whoever... that's where the money should be going
Agyemang? No thanks. We already have an over-paid, over-the-hill, striker in Karl Hawley!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

There are a couple of members who have played in goal at a decent level, some semi-pro , and I'm sure they'll agree with me that a large part of goalkeeping is confidence, a goalkeeper doesn't lose his ability to play in goal to a very high standard, he may lose confidence , poor decision making and errors can creep into a keepers game when confidence is low, only difference is, with a keeper poor decisions and errors end up in the net, with all other positions 7 times out of 10 the team recovers the mistake.

Pokey had a poor season by his own standards, and whilst I agree with others sentiments, I also wouldn't write him either, a confident Michael Poke is still very capable of playing League 1/2 football, certainly in the conference, and please I do not want any member coming on here telling me they know someone down at the club or have spoken to someone and Pokey was injured in the final third of the season, seriously high grade nonsense.

If a keeper had an injury to say his right leg that prevented him from kicking, he also could not perform a collapsed dive to the right hand as well, an extremely important technique for saving shot low in the right corner, it would involve a keeper shifting his weight forward a low on the right leg, if it was injured to the point he couldn't kick, he couldn't do that also, if Pokey had an injury that prevented him from kicking what the hell was he doing on the bench, he had no problem bouncing up and down with his weight forward on both knees during warm ups, which told me he wasn't I injured to the point he couldn't play.

All in all I'm nonplussed here, if Pokey stays and we get the confidence Michael Poke back, then I know we have a top quality keeper on our books, if he goes and is replaced like for like, nothing lost either.
Formerly known as forevertufc
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Agree with that forever

Always felt with Pokey, when he was at his best he was still prone to that heart in mouth error near enough once a game

Id prefer a fresh start, a younger keeper that we can develop and maybe keep rice as a cheap cover - whether he'd want to after tasting first team action for a long period I don't know, but I don't think he's a long term No.1
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
+mustard+
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by +mustard+ »

Any experienced manager would have looked for a new keeper at the end of the season as Rice played ok by that he did his job but Poke's injury has gone on to long and the club cannot afford to carry anyone.
It's not nice to say but it's fact.
DerbyshireGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by DerbyshireGull »

Poke has been immense for us but if Ricey were to be our number 1 next season I would fear no-one. I have the utmost respect for Martin as a person and a professional, showing total commitment and dedication to the club and to his profession often in the face of some unfair decisions and criticisms against him. He is the one player this season who I have got inspiration from by the way he approaches life and his job despite setbacks.

I say thank you for the music to Michael Poke but Ricey is now just about as reliable and what we can afford.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

+mustard+ wrote:Any experienced manager would have looked for a new keeper at the end of the season as Rice played ok by that he did his job but Poke's injury has gone on to long and the club cannot afford to carry anyone.
It's not nice to say but it's fact.
You and Terrence share a dictionary.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Ricey hasn't been quick to sign has he. obviously looking around
TUST MEMBER
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I would suspect the offers to the out of contact players where a little on the 'light' side!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
DerbyshireGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by DerbyshireGull »

Neal wrote:Ricey hasn't been quick to sign has he. obviously looking around
Can't blame him. Dropped by the master clown Alan Knill whose thinking amounted to "it can't get any worse - I know, i'll drop Rice when he has in fact been arguably the player of the season and stick Poke back in in the desperate hope it will see an upturn in results".

Knill's logic.

Then hero Hargreaves comes in and keeps with Poke despite him actually performing worse than Rice only to stick Ricey in when Poke got injured at Hartlepool I think it was.

Ricey has been **** about by both managers and has shown nothing but admirable professional dignity for himself, his profession and his club and to be quite honest Martin. Torquay don't deserve such commitment.

Get the best deal for yourself and your family and go somewhere you will be wanted and appreciated.