Morecambe v Torquay United - 20/4/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

coley wrote:There is a chance that York & D&R will play out a draw if results are going their way BUT things will finally go our way ... Chill out We're SAFE
Not really, D & R can't take the chance on both Barnet & Wimbledon overcoming a 1 or 2 goal deficit in say the last 15 minutes & wining 3-2...........stranger things have happened in football. D & R must go for a win to be sure.

All being well next season we will have the 3 Devon teams in L2 plus Bristol Rovers & Portsmouth.This will ensure that the are at least 4 home game where the away support will be massive! ( assuming that these games are not Tues. night fixtures ) :) :) :)
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Forest gull wrote:

Dont gorget the Gargs............... :red:
providing we get our point wouldn't i just love it if argiggle were the ones to lose and go down. Oh would that ever make my season. :lol: :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
northharrowgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northharrowgull »

Just returned home having been out all day. Listened to the results on BBC radio and was sweating on the late kick off at Underhill, When the result came through Barnet 1 Wycombe 2!!!! I was screaming with joy in the car but imagine my reaction when I logged on here to find out that we are still in the relegation cauldron! Bloo*y BBC! The superstitious part of me doesn't like this scenario at all with memories of our seemingly unlikely fall from Div 1 on the last day and no Rene either Bollo*ks
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Just got back. I'll start with the negatives first. What a poor, worrying and totally bereft of any ideas display that was today and considering we played against 10 men for 70 minutes there was no way it looked like it. Had we been playing Morecambe with 11 or a team a bit better than Morecambe then we would have lost this game. Struggled to create ANY goalscoring opportunites of any note even against 10 and they hit the post and had a few shots which were almighty close WITH 10 men. If we play like that on saturday we'll get buried. Poor, poor display.

Rene got booked for a deliberate and crass challenge on their defender who was bringing the ball out and going nowhere and IMHO it was pre-meditated and done on purpose as he knew the game was won by then and he doesn't have to face the big crunch next weekend, he also was lazy, bye Rene.

Bodin was his usual shocking self and Yeoman showed him what he was meant to be doing, Bodin having a similar opportunity himself and hitting the ball into the side netting with a schoolboy effort.

Oastler got skinned a few times and looked very leggy and distribution was poor for the most part. I was impressed with Benyon, worked his socks off and also Jarvis, same applies.

Good turnout and support from the yellow army on what was a lovely warm sunny day. I walked to the beach and passed some grim druggy dens on the way. Morecambe is actually a bit of a sh*thole to be fair.

I can write more later but those are the negatives.

The positives are that we won the game and at this stage of the season that is all that matters no matter how we get the points , just get them. We won't beat Bristol on saturday IMO, we were abysmal from an attacking sense today and now have no Howe which i'm glad about as now Yeoman, who actually gives a sh*t about the team can get a start hopefully. Top, top quality run and finish from Yeoman, highlight of a poor performance. At least it's still in our hands, win and we'll be be safe but i reckon we'll be reliant on other results to save us. Can't grumble at the relief this win gives us but the edge was taken off it when i got in the car and heard the Barnet result and that Wycombe had missed a late penalty!

The drama continues..........................
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

What i must also add before i go and pack for my holiday tomorrow is that the most disappointing aspect was that we were fortunate to go a goal ahead thanks to a comedy own goal moments after they had a man sent off so instead of exploiting this and going for the second and third and killing the game off we were lazy, slack, negative, too obsessed with Arsenal -esque passing it around the edge of the area instead of leathering the f*cking thing and we actually should have been punished for it. For the grace of God we weren't and Ashley popped up with the winner. We are league 2 and we're near the bottom but when you get a two gift horses in the space of a few minutes then we cannot afford to pass them up. We were actually hanging on for a little while and we had the extra man! P*ssed me off big time that, but we got the 3 points.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Just thought i'd add that most of the players out there worked hard and it was just the total lack of penetration or creativity that frustrated me today. I know we are a poor side, that's why we're near the bottom but the players didn't play with any intensity or purpose. It was flat and stale and we were so lucky. However, they got the job done in the end and that's all that matters so i need to congratulate them regardless.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

AustrianBodinFan wrote:Just got back. I'll start with the negatives first. What a poor, worrying and totally bereft of any ideas display that was today and considering we played against 10 men for 70 minutes there was no way it looked like it. Had we been playing Morecambe with 11 or a team a bit better than Morecambe then we would have lost this game. Struggled to create ANY goalscoring opportunites of any note even against 10 and they hit the post and had a few shots which were almighty close WITH 10 men. If we play like that on saturday we'll get buried. Poor, poor display.
But a Bristol Rovers fan posted this on their forum:
"If the players play the way they played today we will lose. So disappointed with the team,looked as if they felt they had done all they needed to do weeks ago and couldn't be bothered,that is not the way to get promotion next season. Lets hope Saturday is much better,still looking forward to a seaside visit next week. UTG"
=D
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

F*cking hell! How many times can one person reply to their own posts?!! :lol:

I've just read the 'next weekend' thread and i now realise that todays result will see us safe barring a miracle, i didn't know this and still thought it was worse than this. Now i've found this out i can say sorry for being harsh on the lads today. They won the game and at this moment in time that is all that f*cking well matters so i apologise for being such a total cock! =D

COYY!! WE'RE STAYING UP AND PLAYING MANSFIELD NEXT SEASON!! HOORAY!!!!
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

How many torquay fans attended today?
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Hard to tell Parry, i'd guess at about 250, 300 max. I thought there would be more but probably 250.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

AustrianBodinFan wrote:F*cking hell! How many times can one person reply to their own posts?!! :lol:

I've just read the 'next weekend' thread and i now realise that todays result will see us safe barring a miracle, i didn't know this and still thought it was worse than this. Now i've found this out i can say sorry for being harsh on the lads today. They won the game and at this moment in time that is all that f*cking well matters so i apologise for being such a total cock! =D

COYY!! WE'RE STAYING UP AND PLAYING MANSFIELD NEXT SEASON!! HOORAY!!!!
no need to apologise.

we are all used to it.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

at least i'm not in denial :na: :lol:
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

What a great run, jink left and right and first class finish from Yeoman - look out for that on the football league show. i really like the lad and think we will be fine with him next week. Rene just doesn't cut if for me - too mamy games with a poor first touch and inability to hold the ball and his discipline has cost us this season. Just got home 520 miles in a day but what a great day and 257 of us was a good turn out - sad we are not safe so mixed emotion but surely they can't all win on Saturday?
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
MH91
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by MH91 »

We should actually be hopeful that either York or Dagenham win..if this happens we are mathematically safe. If they draw however, and all other teams win combined with a loss to Bristol rovers..we might be in trouble..The chance that this happens is very slim though..But anyway we are all disappointed that we are not safe at this very moment and have to wait until next week. Hopefully everything will be ok.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Not brilliant today, but dealt with their limited threat with consummate ease. Poke made two saves, one in each half and both from long range free kicks. A couple of other speculative hits went close, but we're scraping the barrel at this stage. We played a counter attacking style and the longer the game wore on, the more chances we had and the more stretched their back line got. If Billy'd had a better day, we could have had 4.
Red card nailed on, their guy got turned by Benners and then clipped his heels.
Thought Morecambe were one of the better, if less effective sides I've seen this year.
Rene did alright, but we need to stop pretending he's a striker. Jarvo had a good game, as did the centre backs. Manse discreet and Bodin not good. Benners did well and Yeoman class. I know the 'similarity' argument exists, but I'd start Yeoman and Benners against Rovers. You need a game plan and I think those two together represent a genuine one, rather than merely replacing Rene with Jarvis and hoping for the best.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"