Torquay United v AFC Wimbledon - 3/8/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

As others have said, totally what we should have expected from two fairly ordinary, well matched sides in the first match of the season. Neither side looked especially good, but both will improve with time. I'd be happier being a Torquay fan than an AFC fan, because I think their guys played nearer their best than our guys, but they were no better than us. For the sake of a bit more effort higher up the pitch or a bit of luck, we might have won that.
Rice made some good saves, but then so did their guy and we had the ball in the net, plus, theirs was a big deflection, so, all in, I think we will be a decent side by comparison to AFC this year.

Pearce looked really good today, like him. Tongue wasted the ball a few times but looked good at the back. Cameron beat his man a few times and looks to be the player Bodin really ought to be. Bodin was crap as usual, Manse got stuck in. Harding was a bit anonymous and not the dominating midfield general I had hoped. Downer and Nico looked alright. Benyon was bullied and offered little protection against physical defenders. I think some time to get used to each other might bring rewards where Benyon is concerned.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

I feel it's worth remembering how many of today's team were new additions, Tonge, Pearce, Cameron, Harding and Ball. It was never going to click overnight. Add into that Benyon who played few games with us last season, Chappell (even less) and Hawley and you can understand why it looked disjointed at times.

However, I saw enough today to think we will be ok this season and if they all play to their potential then who knows what might happen.

Mansell and Harding look a solid midfield duo. They won't be bullied but won't win any awards for technical ability. Having said that if they get the ball out to the wingers quickly enough they can certainly beat a man.

Wimbledon looked a solid side who seemed to be in a similar transitional period to ourselves. They will be no push overs this season.

We didn't win, but we didn't lose. We weren't great, but we weren't awful. Not a bad start.
PlainmoorBob
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorBob »

Completely agree with all of the above!
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

One thing I'm slightly confused about: the BBC is crediting Wimbledon's Pell for their goal, but it looked like a straight own goal from Downes to me. Anybody?
TUST member 203
SEgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by SEgull »

Jarvis got the winner for York and Zebs managed 2 for Newport!
“A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.”
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Kee bagged a pen for Burton, although many on here don't count pens.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

early days, pleased enough with the draw, ricey was very good, credit where its due the lad delievered, he looks every part the goalkeeper and he has had enough stick on here for not being good enough so its time to say well done, he kept us in the game.
i think we will get better as games go on, was impressed with pierce and ball, cameron looked good when he was able to run at players, didnt see enough of the ball 2nd half, benyon worked hard as always against big defenders, tonge was solid enough although he did give the ball away a couple of times.
downes was so unlucky with the deflection, and he came up trumps again, ive know doubt that we will get better. just waiting on mozika to sign .
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Pretty standard early season fare. I blame the sunshine. Competitive football shouldn't be played in those conditions. With everyone wearing shorts and shades, it's too much like a friendly. Seriously, when you have that many new players in a team, it's going to take time for them to gel. Thought the new boys did ok on the whole. Nothing spectacular, but definite potential there. Tongue and Harding were solid, Pearce looks to have all the attributes to be a quality CB (albeit a little keen to take an unnecessary risk), Cameron looks to have plenty of tricks up his sleeve, Chappell did more in his 10 minute cameo than Bodin managed throughout. Callum Ball will cause defences at this level all kinds of problems too. Hawley looks like he's a few weeks away from where he'd like to be in terms of fitness. Special mention for Ricey who had an excellent game. Ultimately a point gained.
Last edited by Fonda on 03 Aug 2013, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I was extremely happy with a draw especially after conceding so late. We do show some fight under AK which is a big positive.

My assessment of today's performance.
I thought Rice had a very good game making 2-3 excellent saves. Needs to be quicker with his distribution though. I thought Tonge improved as the game went on. I was impressed with Pearce, especially for in his first game playing alongside Downes against a tall and physical side. Downes performance was very good, he took his goal extremely well. Nico was solid enough going forward but i feel myself getting nervous when he has to defend. Harding battled well and plays things fairly simple. Never really pushed into any advanced position. Mansells performance to me appeared a little flat. Bodmin's performance to me appeared no different to last season. Beat a couple of players then waste possession. I noticed he made a few tackles in defence while in front of AK.
Cameron appears to be lively and beat his man several times. With a bit more composure I am sure he will do well. Needs to work a little harder when he doesnt have the ball though. Ball looked positive and was unlucky with his shot. Benners didnt really get going today, did his usual running around and getting free kicks.
I was surprised that Chappell never started. I would say of all the wide players we have he shows the most for me. Good touch, fast and direct. He would be the first name on my team sheet of the wide fellas.
Thompson came on into right back and showed more composure with 2 crosses than i have seen. Hopefully that will give him some confidence.
Hawley was what i expected for the time he had and the service he got, very little, in fact no service. Spent 5 minutes arguing with the ref.
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

big pat on the back for rice today - will give poke something to think about now he may have to work for the number 1 jersey!
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Robiberto22 wrote:big pat on the back for rice today - will give poke something to think about now he may have to work for the number 1 jersey!

I doubt it Rob. A fit Poke will always get in ahead of Rice however unfair that may seem as he is the better keeper.

Hats off to Ricey today though and credit where it's due, it sounded like it was a certain defeat without him.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

If Poke is fit he should play on Tuesday, to give him some match practice in a cup game. If he comes through that then it will be a tough call for Knill next weekend.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
shepchenko10
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by shepchenko10 »

Roadrunner what is the latest with mozika? Surely the budget isnt big enough to fit him in. Personally i would like to see lathrope and craig replaced by mozika and cooper. Real shame we didnt sign him really good player
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

im a fan of pokeys and he should play at swindon if fit but i feel ricey should at least be given the no 1 spot at morecambe as he earnt that cahnce after today, its then down to pokey to fight for his place,