Torquay United v AFC Wimbledon - 3/8/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Some information for non-attendees. Perhaps the best things about the game was the attendance: 3,441, which is considerably more than those estimates on this site before the match and by the senile delinquents around me at the back of the pop. side stand who while away their hours by playing games such as this (i.e. estimating the crowd). Our estimation ranged from 2600 to 2750, so the final figure was a pleasing surprise.
I found myself standing just behind Mr. Candy. He spent the first half having to listen to a bearded and spotty youth pontificating about all things TUFC. He remained polite and appeared to listen. The drumming, usually profoundly annoying, wasn't too intrusive. Perhaps the most satisfying moment was the breaking into song after our equaliser. 'You're not singing anymore!' berated the now-silent Wimbledon fans who had become intensely irritating.
The game was, well, o.k. Nothing to write home about really, although as other contributors to this site have noted it indicated the promise of certain players, if nothing else. In truth, we were probably lucky to get a point.
The locals, who were becoming restive, walked away from the game moderately satisfied.
My 5-star awards:
Rice: Oryza resurgens! My MoM. ****and a half
Tonge; Not a bad debut.*** and a half
Nicholson: Time to hang 'em up old chap. **and a half
Harding: Mostly invisible, which usually means o.k. ***
Pearce: Quite impressive, though gauche at times. ***and a half
Mansell: Part of the furniture now ***
Cameron: Impressed in the first half, then faded. O.k. though. ***
Bodin: Poor. Surely there's someone better in the side. **
Ball: Good. Potential here. ***and a half
Benyon. Tried hard, didn't achieve much. Put him on the bench as soon as Hawley's fit. ** and a half

The substitutes Hawley, Chappell and Thompson did o.k.
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

i agree that poke is number 1 - and its important knill knows who his number 1 is - but if rice can push poke it can only be a good thing? if it leads to better performances from pokey then all good!
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

We have this debate before, there really is no doubt Poke is the no1 keeper, however there is no way on this earth after the match today Martin Rice should lose his place in the team. Yep he could have been a tad quicker at times getting the ball, however I rather the keeper hang on to the ball few a few seconds than hand the posession back the other team. Ricey's performance today was flawless didn't put a foot wrong, stand up and take a bow.

Pretty much agree with the others, first game of season plenty of new faces in there, might take a few games to bed in, some teams settle quicker than others, however there was plently of promise even though overall our performance was nothing to write home about.

We stole a point, happy with that.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

wivelgull wrote:I found myself standing just behind Mr. Candy.
I stand behind Mr Candy just to the right, out of interest are you part of the group of golden oldies that stand behind him, or do you stand alone.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Pea
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dale Tonge

Post by Pea »

I'm curious, does anybody know why Downes was booked today?

Pea.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

wivelgull wrote: The locals, who were becoming restive, walked away from the game moderately satisfied.
My 5-star awards:
Rice: Oryza resurgens! My MoM. ****and a half
Tonge; Not a bad debut.*** and a half
Nicholson: Time to hang 'em up old chap. **and a half
Harding: Mostly invisible, which usually means o.k. ***
Pearce: Quite impressive, though gauche at times. ***and a half
Mansell: Part of the furniture now ***
Cameron: Impressed in the first half, then faded. O.k. though. ***
Bodin: Poor. Surely there's someone better in the side. **
Ball: Good. Potential here. ***and a half
Benyon. Tried hard, didn't achieve much. Put him on the bench as soon as Hawley's fit. ** and a half

The substitutes Hawley, Chappell and Thompson did o.k.
Two things.

You missed out Downes.

You didn't mention Guilbert

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I know I was quite critical of our performance today as we were far from our best, but a draw was a fair result in the end. Wimbledon had the better chances to score and fair credit to Ricey, without him we would have lost by 2 or 3 goals. Clearly MOTM.

Was impressed with Ball, when he got the ball, he created a few chances. Pearce was ok, needs some time to gel. Cameron looks like a promising signing. Will only get better the more he plays.

Overall, we didn't lose and we can build on from that. For Tuesday, bring Poke in, but for Morecambe (and I can't believe I'm saying this) keep Ricey in goal. Can't believe he is the same guy from last season.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

No, we didn't steal a point, that's overly generous to Wimbledon. Two absolutely evenly matched sides who created an equal number of decent chances each. A draw was exactly the right result.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

An average game between two very well matched teams.
I was a little surprised Nathan Craig did not even make the bench.
Martin Rice deserved to be Man of the Match.
For me the stand outs from the new signings were Krystian Pearce and Callum Ball.Pearce and the magnificent Aaron Downes were tremendous in the middle.
Ball is a big strong guy but with plenty of pace. Tonge and Harding did nothing wrong and Tonge will solve our right back problem for sure.
Manse and Harding seemed a bit unsure which of them should take some free kicks.
Cameron had a 10 minute spell in the first half when he displayed great skill on the ball. Bodin should have scored with his head from Camerons cross which resulted in the disallowed goal from Ball.
Once this team get to know one another and really gel we could be in for a decent season. Need to get the ball in the penalty box more.
The bench is so much stronger. I am encouraged.
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

Just seen Downsey's goal again on Sky Sports News - beat 3 Wimbledon defenders to the ball. Took his goal really well. :bow:
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
Pea
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Pea »

Manse and Harding seemed a bit unsure which of them should take some free kicks.

It wasn't his fault, poor Harding was confused after the clash to his head!! :lol:
Pea.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

The report here: http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/288779 reads well - sings the praises of a certain M. Rice too....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Dear everyone in the popular press:

Kevin Nicholson is a fat white bloke of considerably less than 6 feet in height aged in his early thirties.
Niall Thompson is an athletically built teenager with jet black skin.
Confusing the two makes you look **** ing stupid.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

It doesn't matter though Matt, it's only league two football so lazy journalism is perfectly acceptable.
Pea
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Pea »

BBC Devon Sports tweet earlier today:

'@bbcdevonsport: 90 + 2 mins - redemption for Aaraon Downes has he lewaps highest to head home from Kevin Nicholson's ball in.'

I think you're on to a trend here Matt & DevonYellow!!
Pea.