Niall Thompson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Part of my post on the Downes thread is relevant to this one, so I thought I would stick it in here:

"I agree with the general consensus that the Yeoman loan to Bideford is bizarre. Having gone there 2 years ago, he scored almost a goal a game there, and since then it's hard to disagree that he's developed as a goal, his strike at Morcambe is evidence of this. Thompson has been loaned to a club at a higher level, and by all means is already impressing with a goal in his first game - but is he better than Yeoman? For my money, no. Yeoman would be a handy acquisition for many BSP clubs and I'd have liked both him and Thompson to have been sent to a club at that level. I'm not suggesting he's going to walk into the Luton team, but one of the smaller teams, southern based teams (Salisbury?) would have been sensible."
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

EddUK12 wrote:I think Morris followed the money (2 year deal else where or 6 months in torquay its a no brainer).

Ostler could have been improved but dont think he would have so imo was right to get rid of him.

Yeoman i agree, i dont see it benefiting him from a foitball pov but i think knill has said the problem with him is his tendency not to upset the cart and be to quite. Just a suggestion but might be a kick to wind him up.
So, If Northampton wanted Morris so much that they were prepared to offer a two year contract to this young international player then why didn't we get a transfer fee for him?............I.M.O. Knill just lost interest possibly because he did not have a clue how to get the best out of him.
TeenageGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by TeenageGull »

"young international"

Hes 26 and played like sh**!!
MH91
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by MH91 »

Posting pictures online with a glass of whiskey and while smoking shisha...is never going to help a young professional footballer get into the first team...I would say it has more to do with attitude more than lack of ability...
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

MH91 wrote:Posting pictures online with a glass of whiskey and while smoking shisha...is never going to help a young professional footballer get into the first team...I would say it has more to do with attitude more than lack of ability...
If this is the case then it makes me wonder why we get so many players into the club with 'attitude' problems. I've got nothing against any footballer having a bottle of whiskey or smoking a 40 deck of Lamberts personally so long as they do the business out on the pitch. Niall hasn't done the business yet but I hold the opinion it is due to a good run in the side. Fair enough if he has as long as certain players have who are yet to show us much and still offers us very little then cut loose but I feel Thommo hasn't had a decent and fair run yet.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

wodger of awabia wrote: So, If Northampton wanted Morris so much that they were prepared to offer a two year contract to this young international player then why didn't we get a transfer fee for him?............I.M.O. Knill just lost interest possibly because he did not have a clue how to get the best out of him.
We've been over this. The highlighted letter stands for 'opinion'. Opinions have to be based on something. On what are you basing this opinion?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Niall off to a good start at Worcester City

http://www.worcestercityfc.com/s/match- ... /0-2068931

"The possession would be telling as City doubled their lead. Niall Thompson rounded off an impressive debut with a goal as he worked himself an opening to finish in the top corner. "

Sounds like a proper goal, tough to shank it into the top corner
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

are the highlights.

He's not playing against a great team, but he looks very very good.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

And herewith his latest tweet, all is revealed:
"Monday morning run, then a whole afternoon to do nothing"

No, Niall, you've been shipped out on loan to a pub side for a reason. That reason is a lack of application. Your Tweet should read:
"Monday morning run, then lunch, then 4 hours to work on my shooting/crossing/heading because I realise that hacking a ball around for a grand a week is both a luxury and something over which I have an especially tenuous hold right now"*

Does he really not realise that Knill wants him to work to earn his place? Is he too stupid to see that if he's not playing football he'll be working the, graveyard shift in McDonald's for minimum wage for the next 40 years? It's not as though the club won't have told him what they expect, this isn't a trap, it's not some kind of blind test. Why is he wasting all that talent for the sake of a teaspoon of effort and application. **** ing hell, if it comes to it, why doesn't he just stay quiet, sneak off for an afternoon of awful music and badly punctuated sexting and tell people he went to the gym?

Bloke's a **** ing moron and will have only himself to blame when he's living in a filthy bedsit in Luton, wondering where it all went wrong.

Matt.

*yeah, I know this is more than 140 characters.
NA Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Howe

Post by NA Gull »

Matt I think your view that because he has 4 hours free time he should spend this entirely training is a bit out dated and does no justice to Niall.
1. The second day after a game is the time when the body needs to recover so doing extended training would be doing him no good whatsoever: it could lead to further injury. If you look at how many players get injured around Xmas/New Year it is becasue the body has not had time to recover.
2. Less, more focussed training can be more worthwhile than excessive training. If you are familiar with 'periodisation' training you will know it is about sh9ort, more intense training having the optimum returns.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9239342.stm
3. It is very likely that TUFC would have given him a specific schedule while he is on loan and is likely to be following that.

This post is not intended to start and argument but more of an insight to training. No doubt you will come back and tell me I am wrong! #joke
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Certainly think think most of these loans are more about attitude rather than ability.Demonstrate you've got what it takes in training,reserve team matches,and by your attitude around the place generally and you will surely find favour with Knill.
Think one of the main reasons Knill was brought in was the lack of discipline about the place under Ling.Knill and Brass want players with a good attitude on and off the field and it seems to me that the likes of Thompson,Yeoman and,maybe Craig,haven't impressed them enough in this respect-Knill said last season that he hadn't really noticed Yeoman as he was so quiet and unassuming.They're young players with a lot of time on their hands;more money in their pockets than most lads of their age,locally, and they've maybe started taking the club for granted. Successful players show commitment and dedication even at a young age-staying behind after the training sessions are finished to do more etc. Knill and Brass have have obviously been assessing all the players in the squad over the past few weeks after talking to them personally,pre-season, and setting targets.If players don't respond or "up their game", then loaning them out is the right option and they will hopefully learn from the experience,and respond appropriately.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I know where your coming NA Gull, however Matt was not suggesting Nail Thompson spends 2 hrs of his time off doing extra S-A-Q training.

Matt, was suggesting that after his morning run Nail could have chosen to do an hour or so practising some corner taking, crossing and maybe free kick taking techniques, which is highly unlikely to result in injury. Some thing that David Beckham did right through to the very end his career, Wayne Rooney is known to do the same, as are many other top players, maybe thats the difference.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

It's an attitude thing. He needs to be working his bollocks off to get himself back into the team. I'm sure there are all sorts of 'less is more' theories surrounding training, but Niall should be putting himself forward as the hardest working member of the squad. If nothing else, he needs not to be yacking on on Twitter about basically doing feck all all day.
I don't think his doing a couple of hours of low intensity ball work in the afternoon having done a little light jogging in the morning all of 48 hours after playing an amateur level match ought to be too much for a young professional athlete. Right now, his attitude and application are under the microscope and he needs to be working his balls off to get noticed, not doing the bare minimum and sodding off home to piss about on his PlayBox.

Matt.

Also welcome to the #inappropriatehashtagarmy!
northyorkshiregull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: benyon

Post by northyorkshiregull »

Why do you follow these players on Twitter when all you do is slag them off about what they put? Why don't you tweet him and tell him what you think? You could also let him know that his attitude is down to his genes
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

It seems that Mr Thompson has taken it to heart as he has deleted his Twitter account.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com