Michael Poke...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Stuck here in the land of flagpoles and donuts, it is not always easy to get an accurate read on what goes on... :engflag:

Based off what I could read it certainly feels like we owe MP a huge debt of thanks for his keeping last season, when it appeared that he kept us alive in many of the games, and perhaps without his service we may not have enjoyed the recent heroic away wins at Wycombe and Oxford.

I also sensed from a lot of Buckle quotes he had a lot of time for MP.

I wish him well, it's a shame how Brighton has worked out for him - he deserved better.

That said, I am also thrilled for Bevan stepping up and taking his opportunity
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

ferrarilover wrote:I guess this means no footage, which is a shame, because I'd like to see just what qualifies as a clangar so bad that Poyet effectively writes off a player, his salary and his transfer fee after 90 minutes.
Matt.
The only clip I saw was a pretty big howler. It was a soft shot hit straight at him (think Taibi) and he went forward with his hands, then pulled them back, then went with his feet, and it went between his legs and over the line. It's really hard to explain it without the clip, but it was just a total misjudgement that ended up looking hilarious.

All keepers make the odd howler. Probably far less than outfield players but unfortunately when they do it often results in a goal.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

But where did you get this clip?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

Was on Soccer AM about 3/4 months ago.
www.torquayfanstats.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

What use is that to me?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

I have no idea. As useful as a waterproof teabag?

a lead parachute?
a solar powered torch?
an inflatable dartboard?
a one legged man in an arse kicking contest?
rubber nails?
a pork pie at a jewish wedding?

Personaly I put it somewhere between an underwater fish tank and Anne Frank's drumkit. But that's only me.
www.torquayfanstats.com
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

No video evidence I'm afraid, but try reading this report of Pokey's one and only first team appearance for Brighton. It came in a 2-0 defeat against Northampton in the Carling Cup and it was a "howler" of the highest order!

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/8323903 ... mmentsList

Note some of the reports on his performance from some of the Brighton fans in the comments section as well!

Unfortunately, he hasn't been given another chance and it appears that Poyet has lost faith in him. When their first choice keeper (Brezovan) picked up a wrist injury at the start of the season Poyet immediately brought in another keeper (Ankergren on a 2 year deal) rather than give Poke a chance to redeem himself. As a result he is now third (or perhaps even fourth) choice there and as he is only on a one year deal I would be a little surprised if he wasn't released in the summer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 892780.stm

Poyet even admits to "not feeling 100% safe" with Poke in a quote from him in that article :!:

As to whether we would ever see him come back here, I guess it all depends on what happens to both of our keepers in the summer (they are both out of contract) - and of course his wages may yet again prove a stumbling block. Personally I think the time is right for MP (he has just turned 25) to be moving on from playing 2nd or even 3rd string in League One - he should be aiming for a regular starting spot somewhere else, even if it means dropping down a division or two and taking a cut in wages, just for the sake of his future career.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Ricey is very much at Truro City and doing really well for them by all accounts, i saw him the other week and still chat to him on a nearly daily basis and at the minute he's happy there although he wants to try and get back to as higher level as he can. Truro top of the league so fingers x'd they can stay there. He's been training with Torquay 2 times a week for the majority of this season although hasn't been going recently for whatever reason.

Bevan and Poke are both excellent and there is no way that Poke no matter how good he is would take Bevan's place and there is no way we could afford to have 1 of them sat on the bench. If BEvan was to break down again I wouldn't be surprised to see Buckle make the move for MP again, would make sense.

Then again how can you judge a goalie in Potter's case on 1 game. Ricey had the same problem he played a handful of games in and out you can't get a run in the side and as SG says it's a LOT about confidence and familiarity.

How many errors did Poke make while here? The Crewe one where he was 70% to blame but not entireley, defense didn't help out. Literally it. He knew how the people and staff here felt about him, now he goes to a new club slightly on edge anyway and his manager ruins him after 1 game. righton fans will probably think the guy is useless, we know otherwise.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

well, he is one of the major reasons we are back playing league football.

and he will still be remembered by TUFC fans everywhere for his contribution to that, even if he turned into the worst

goalie in the world.

and im still his agent. ;-)

and he managed to make the bench for brighton last night!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

gulls_aloud
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by gulls_aloud »

royalgull wrote:Ricey is very much at Truro City and doing really well for them by all accounts, i saw him the other week and still chat to him on a nearly daily basis and at the minute he's happy there although he wants to try and get back to as higher level as he can. Truro top of the league so fingers x'd they can stay there. He's been training with Torquay 2 times a week for the majority of this season although hasn't been going recently for whatever reason.
Cheers for that, royalgull, glad to hear it's working out for him and I wish him well.

I do hope Poke's fortunes change soon - I'll never forget the dying moments of that Histon play-off when my heart was in my mouth, momentarily lurched into my guinness, and was expertly restored to its rightful place by the finger tips of Michael Poke.
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

MP must have dropped his sandwiches whilst on the bench midweek :Oops:

Not on the bench for the league game Saturday...
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

As earlier mentioned by a poster, I think Poke has been relegated to third, or even fourth choice. I fully expect him to leave Brighton on loan in January with a view to a permanent transfer. I'm surprised Exeter haven't gone on for him given their keeper problems lately.