The sooner we get a coach in the better...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Directors meeting this morning at Plainmoor so more should become clearer later today...hopefully
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

If it is to be Keith lets hope it works out better than last time!!!!!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

CP Gull wrote:I would love it to be John Coleman, but everything seems to point to his appearance at Rochdale being a pre arranged scouting trip ... there is talk of a return "home" (Accy) and they have games against Rochdale and us coming up in the next few weeks.

As for Leroy, I cannot see him coming in on anything other than a part time basis given his media work and that's not what we need at the moment.

I just hope that the Board doesn't put too much emphasis on bringing someone in that is right for Shaun Taylor. First and foremost, in my opinion, it should be right for Torquay United. Leaving sentimentality aside for one moment, the fact is that our results over the last 11 games would have seen most Managers (and very often their Assistants let's not forget) lose their jobs and I think a fresh approach is required.

It seems to me very much as thought Shaun has tried to do what Martin Ling would have done in each of the games he has been in charge, rather than taking a fresh view, and quite simply it isn't t working! We need someone to be put in charge, not just to "help" out. It therefore needs to be a strong character with plenty of contacts as we desperately need 2 or 3 new faces to freshen things up .... something which should have happened last month but didn't and we are now paying the price for our inactivity.
Exactly my thoughts. Had Martin Ling been at any other club prior to his illness, then there is a good chance he would have lost his job. There is the possibility that the club would have taken a longer term view of things and let him rebuild in the summer and it may be that whoever is appointed is precisely a short term, interim coach, while a new coach is sought for the new season, should Martin Ling not return - something that one can imagine is fairly likely. I think you are also correct in your point that Shaun Taylor appears to be doing what Martin Ling would be doing and it is plain it is an approach that has been failing for some lengthy time now.

The difficulty will be if a new coach comes in and does well and then the club restore a fit again, Martin Ling, should he recover in time. One would imagine it will be a very difficult trying time, especially for Martin Ling should results not go well.

It is all very messy and probably a quite unusual situation in professional football. In an office people will go on long teem sick, come back and are, hopefully, given time to settle back in and get back up to speed. That sort of normality wouldn't happen at a football club with a baying crowd watching every move, so you can only imagine that perhaps the club and Martin Ling should be looking to part company on good terms to avoid any unnecessary outcomes should he return and form continue in the way it is.

Furthermore, if Martin Ling is out until next season, we need someone in to secure contracts or alternatively start recruitment for next season. This Might be where we miss Martin Ling, as most of his signings have been pretty decent.

John Coleman has been mentioned and he has been linked with Accrington (although I am not aware that they have sacked their manager - but I may have missed it) and he would hopefully make us competitive, not that he did with Rochdale, and his pool of players seems largely limited to players based in the North West who may not be willing to move this far south.

There is a certain irony and coincidence in that 20 years ago we were in a similar position. Then it was the managerial incompetence of Paul Compton that had us fearing relegation and Neil Warnock came in and saved us. That was a really rather incredible coup seeing he had recently managed in the top flight with Notts County at the time but you sensed it was never going to be a long-term appointment. How strange that he might again be available, yet the assertion that he might come here and do a job for 3 months, like he did before, would seem wildly fanciful now, even though it might suit his personal circumstances with his wife and children living in Cornwall.

That is why someone like Graham Westley, who probably sees himself a bit above us, these days, not that his CV necessarily puts himself in that way, could be considered. A short-term role, a bit of a motivator and intelligent manager, even if his methods are somewhat unorthodox.

What must not happen, is if we somehow grab a win at Aldershot tomorrow, the club think that they can persist with Taylor for a bit longer.

Come the summer, if Ling does not return and things continue in the same way at Luton, it might be that serendipity points Torquay in the way of Paul Buckle and I'm not sure i would want to go there again, even if, on reflection, his record here was pretty impressive.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

royalgull wrote:If it is to be Keith lets hope it works out better than last time!!!!!
Me too. His record as a manager is not especially good.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Hector, I agree with most of your post, but unless we are taken over by a brand new board, there is zero chance of Paul Buckle returning!
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Is it me but i cant find anything positive from Keith Curle's previous managerial or coaching career posts??
Interestingly, i have heard from a good source that training is and has been very easy under the current coaching staff, in fact the players have named it " Butlins"!
Over the weekend i spoke with an ex pro who worked under Graham Westerley, his experience of GW coaching was very good, organised and double-triple sessions!!Maybe that's whats needed?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well to be fair to Keith Curle, he did come to us for the last 15 games of the season when the team was already sunk, he was sacked from Notts County with a 45.1% win ave, if it is him this time atleast there is something to save, we are despite all, in a much better position and he will have contacts to add a couple of loans. That is all it should need, 4 wins we are safe game over, then a re-think for the summer.
Last edited by Dave on 18 Feb 2013, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I always thought that Curle did well at Mansfield. Reached the PO Final in 2004, had them playing some excellent football. Certainly remember them being one of the better sides to come to us, and when it was Leroy vs Curle it was always an entertaining match.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Keith Curle could be a good shout as a fire fighting appointment. Like you said ForeverDave it's just about getting those 13 or so points to guarantee our league status.
Oblivion!!!!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Keith Curle is not a bad option and one I would be happy with. Like Dave said - 13points and then see where we are once we are safe. Hopefully Ling could return but if whoever comes in does a good job and Martin cannot return) then he has given himself every chance.
Curle has managerial experience - which we are all desperate for.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
northyorkshiregull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: benyon

Post by northyorkshiregull »

As long as everybody gets behind the new man.even if they are disappointed with something they have done in the past.Our safety is the most important thing
nickfrench
New Signing
New Signing

Post by nickfrench »

Let's face it, anyone who comes in won't have a perfect track record. We're not appointing long term at this stage, so we just need that one person who has a decent record at motivating over a short space of time.

To that end, I think that Keith Curle would be an outstanding choice for the remaining months, as would anyone who can motivate the players to a couple of wins to haul us back up the table a bit.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Surprised Ian Atkins hasn't gone to the top of the list..
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

IN for Ian Atkins. Where is he now? i heard he was doing some scouting but can't remember who for.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I'm sure it's Sunderland, Royal.